+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Genealogy / Menelaus St. Spolt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Genealogy / Menelaus St. Spolt

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Cyclops has mentioned serendipity as playing a part in family history research. I have such a story if anyone is interested

Serendipity or what!! From that chance one-off meeting I met many of her relatives who were able to fill me in with so many details about our American connections. But that’s another story….
    Goosebumps mate. Great story.
    I've yet to do the US side by I know that there are plenty to follow up, like you Pennsylvania & Virginia are the start points due to the Coal & Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Goosebumps mate. Great story.
    I've yet to do the US side by I know that there are plenty to follow up, like you Pennsylvania & Virginia are the start points due to the Coal & Steel.
    It should be a lot easier for you these days hopefully. No Internet back in the 80's, so researching anyone in the USA back then, with very little to go on, seemed an impossible task. Maybe you too will get a bit of serendipity to help you along! A good place to start in Pennsylvania would be to focus on the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area which has the highest number of Welsh immigrants and descendants of Welsh immigrants in the USA. (I assume your ancestors were from Wales?). That's where my family went. If you look at a map of that part of Pennsylvania you will see many towns having familiar Welsh place-names.

Just found that a relative, going back a few generations, married into a Russian family from St Petersburg. This needs looking into in more detail. Also, an Ivor Head and A Hearse are new additions to the family tree (possibly...needs verification). Loads of Heads from Pontypridd. Yo cuz, if you are one of them.

I didnt recognise the street name in the thread title so looked it up. Not a place I've knowingly been to. Interesting to see that Splott is now being marketed as "Upper Bay" by estate agents:

https://www.cpshomes.co.uk/cps-blog/...like-it-splott

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Just found that a relative, going back a few generations, married into a Russian family from St Petersburg. This needs looking into in more detail. Also, an Ivor Head and A Hearse are new additions to the family tree (possibly...needs verification). Loads of Heads from Pontypridd. Yo cuz, if you are one of them.
    One of my favourites is I A Wright from Wolverhampton. Has to be said in a Black Country accent (PC to say that these days?) and with a knowledge of Brummie slang (PC to say that in these Peaky Blinder days?).

Guaranteed whoosh there, Cy!