+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Re: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Here's the rub: you're only allowed to play with someone from your own household.

Not going to happen, is it?
    I think the point is, if social distancing can be maintained ( which is easy in golf) then it does not matter if you play with someone in your own household or not, obviously while we should not encourage breaking rules and I appreciate your point people will and play with friends anyway.

But as you can likely find more room to distance while playing golf with friends than you could exercising in a public park, flouting that particular rule in golf is unlikely to have any tangible affects and not something people should lose sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Also I thought you werent supposed to drive to a place to exercise and changing rooms are closed. Only supposed to exercise locally. Stay at home as much as possible. A golf round for 18 holes will take 3 to 4 hours.

Anyone seen pairs of golfers from the same household with their clubs and trolleys walking to a locap course.

Of course you can keep social distancing playing golf but it looks as though a special case has been made here.

With old farts hitting balls for the first time in ages Stay Alert is more apt for the Welsh Golf Courses.
    I think the answer is not to take away the exceptions that has obviously been applied to golfers, but to be consistent across the board. If a business / sports club/ venue. wants to open because they believe they can maintain an adequate level of social distancing like golf can, then they should be allowed to open.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think the point is, if social distancing can be maintained ( which is easy in golf) then it does not matter if you play with someone in your own household or not, obviously while we should not encourage breaking rules and I appreciate your point people will and play with friends anyway.

But as you can likely find more room to distance while playing golf with friends than you could exercising in a public park, flouting that particular rule in golf is unlikely to have any tangible affects and not something people should lose sleep over.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't someone on here suggest that you going around a mate's house for a beer was fine as long as you use common sense? In other words you can drink with someone from a different household providing that you both use common sense.

It can't be the same person now suggesting that you shouldn't play golf under the same parameters can it?

It's all rather selective isn't it?

International

I think the answer is not to take away the exceptions that has obviously been applied to golfers, but to be consistent across the board. If a business / sports club/ venue. wants to open because they believe they can maintain an adequate level of social distancing like golf can, then they should be allowed to open.
    But they can't. and golf wasn't allowed in the latest statement by the government, it just suddenly appeared to be OK.

and as for your previous post are you saying that if you can maintain social distancing that you don't need to abide by the law as it is in Wales? just asking

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    You dont touch the flag.
    But the flag can and surely will (on many occasions) stop a putt from going in.

International

It never does when people score a hole in one.

I think that's the way this is going to go. Slowly, but allowing businesses to open with strict guidlines while monitoring all of the relevant statistics and facts.

Banned

The issue is that people are now making up their own rules. "If that golf club can open, why can't my shop?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    The issue is that people are now making up their own rules. "If that golf club can open, why can't my pub?"
    Hasn't the Government sanctioned the opening of golf clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I tried fishing but my experience was that as a rule my rod was fecking miles away from any fish
    It's a safe sport as long as you keep your tackle safe 🤔

This is the point. Apparently, it does matter.

In England, you are allowed to meet a relative or friend you don't live with in a park provided you observe the social distancing guidelines.

In Wales, you are not allowed to do that.

In England, you are allowed to play golf with a friend or relative you don't live with provided you observe the social distancing guidelines.

However, we all know that people are going to be playing golf with their friends all over Wales.

It's a farce and highlights just how stupid the so-called guidelines have become.

Here's the rub: you're only allowed to play with someone from your own household.

Just did a round thrashed my 80 year old aunt , in fact she's still out there , I've been home for hours .

With my club only members are allowed to play as of Monday (no visitors/guests). As a result, you have to book your tee time in advance, check-in with the pro shop and starter 10 mins before your tee time (pro shop isn’t actually open, just put your head through the door to say you’ve arrived), with each tee time staggered every 10 mins. My club are verifying that anyone booking a two ball tee time are from the same household. Pretty easy to do at my place as the only same household club members are family (for example, dad and young son).

There is a one way system being introduced so people arriving and leaving don’t pass each other. When you finish your round you have to leave straight away with this being marshalled by club employees and volunteers.

On paper it should be easy enough to maintain social distancing. I’ll find out for myself on Monday!

This is the point. Apparently, it does matter.

In England, you are allowed to meet a relative or friend you don't live with in a park provided you observe the social distancing guidelines.

In England, you are allowed to play golf with a friend or relative you don't live with provided you observe the social distancing guidelines.

However, we all know that people are going to be playing golf with their friends all over Wales.

It's a farce and highlights just how stupid the so-called guidelines have become.
    Maybe they wont play with a friend, maybe it'll be on their own or with a family member. Golf Clubs may have restrictions in place where this has to be proved before they can hit the ball with a stick. They'd be daft not to.

That's exactly what is going to happen, you have to book your tee time and play on your own, tee times are at 10 minute intervals, no one is going to play with anyone else unless it's a member of your family living in the same house.
    In England and Ireland you can play in a 2 ball as long as you keep 2 meters apart
    I'm guessing you dont play but if someone was standing less than 2 metres away normally theyd be told to F***k off

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't someone on here suggest that you going around a mate's house for a beer was fine as long as you use common sense? In other words you can drink with someone from a different household providing that you both use common sense.

It can't be the same person now suggesting that you shouldn't play golf under the same parameters can it?
    Wind your neck in, twatface. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't play golf together. It's the Welsh government who are doing that.

I'm sick of the whole charade. As far as I'm concerned, friends can go and play golf together ten at a time if they so desire. It's entirely up to them. What pisses me off is the stupid, contradictory, hypocritical, implausible guidelines from the idiotic politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    That's exactly what is going to happen.....
    Sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Dutch View Post
    With my club only members are allowed to play as of Monday (no visitors/guests). As a result, you have to book your tee time in advance, check-in with the pro shop and starter 10 mins before your tee time (pro shop isn’t actually open, just put your head through the door to say you’ve arrived), with each tee time staggered every 10 mins. My club are verifying that anyone booking a two ball tee time are from the same household. Pretty easy to do at my place as the only same household club members are family (for example, dad and young son).

There is a one way system being introduced so people arriving and leaving don’t pass each other. When you finish your round you have to leave straight away with this being marshalled by club employees and volunteers.

On paper it should be easy enough to maintain social distancing. I’ll find out for myself on Monday!
    What about the flag pole and raking bunkers any rules around them ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Hasn't the Government sanctioned the opening of golf clubs?
    Yes, they have. The point is the guidelines are completely ambiguous. Firstly, even if we were just concentrating on Wales, the guidelines seem to have altered from the ones being mentioned in the Drakeford press conference. Also, they seem to contradict what he has said.

Then, we throw in what Johnson said in a "National" address. People are not going to bother working out what can and can't be done. They will see people out and about, and they will do the same. Like I mentioned, as soon as Johnson spoke about going back to work we had an ice-cream man down the street. We have 4 leaders, but no leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Dutch View Post
    People all over the place then, all carrying out essential work.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    What about the flag pole and raking bunkers any rules around them ?
    Probably the same rules that apply to shop doorways, shelves, produce, petrol pumps etc....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    That's exactly what is going to happen, you have to book your tee time and play on your own, tee times are at 10 minute intervals, no one is going to play with anyone else unless it's a member of your family living in the same house.
    In England and Ireland you can play in a 2 ball as long as you keep 2 meters apart
    I'm guessing you dont play but if someone was standing less than 2 metres away normally theyd be told to F***k off
    I'm guessing all players playing are members. Does your golf club make a note, or give an advisory, based on the knowledge that you and your golfing mate are not from the same household?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Probably the same rules that apply to shop doorways, shelves, produce, petrol pumps etc....
    Would one have to sanitize ones balls before putting it ones hole ?

Yes, they have. The point is the guidelines are completely ambiguous. Firstly, even if we were just concentrating on Wales, the guidelines seem to have altered from the ones being mentioned in the Drakeford press conference. Also, they seem to contradict what he has said.

Then, we throw in what Johnson said in a "National" address. People are not going to bother working out what can and can't be done. They will see people out and about, and they will do the same. Like I mentioned, as soon as Johnson spoke about going back to work we had an ice-cream man down the street. We have 4 leaders, but no leadership.
    I can honestly say that there's no ambiguity on my part over the lock down rules in Wales, and i'm not saying that in a facetious way. Not much has changed- in my opinion-from the start, certainly for me anyway. Let's be honest, if you've got half a brain then none of this is that difficult. I haven't really seen anyone massively taking the piss.

I wonder what they're going to do at Llanymynech Golf Club? Apparently, their course straddles the English-Welsh border, with fifteen holes in Wales and three in England. On holes one to four golfers tee-off in Wales, and then reach England on the fourth green. They remain in England until returning to Wales for the seventh tee.

Maybe they can play with a friend on three holes but not on the other fifteen......