+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    With golf you're out in the open air, not near anyone else and getting exercise
    More risk of catching something in the supermarket than being out on the course
    My mate in work's a very keen surfer. Amazingly fit guy for his age, nearing retirement but still surfs at least once a week almost all year round. However, he's not been allowed to surf during the lockdown and he's been mightily pissed off about it, although he's accepted the situation.

I've been telling him he should ride a bicycle to the beach and he might get away with it as there seem to have been different rules for cyclists, but now I'm going to tell him to take a set of golf clubs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Sure it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I'm guessing all players playing are members. Does your golf club make a note, or give an advisory, based on the knowledge that you and your golfing mate are not from the same household?
    My mate in work's a very keen surfer. Amazingly fit guy for his age, nearing retirement but still surfs at least once a week almost all year round. However, he's not been allowed to surf during the lockdown and he's been mightily pissed off about it, although he's accepted the situation.

I've been telling him he should ride a bicycle to the beach and he might get away with it as there seem to have been different rules for cyclists, but now I'm going to tell him to take a set of golf clubs instead.

If you're into anything involving exercise it's always tough when you don't get your fix
    I miss going to the gym more, which I did 4-5 times a week until the last few months as it's something I looked forward too , so I get where your mate is coming from.

Maybe the only way of dealing with this would have been a complete lock down for a month or more with one member of the household allowed out for essential shopping
    But if you can queue up for some essential paint at a DIY store then the idea of stopping someone exercising is completely bollocks as far as I'm concerned

Banned

If you're into anything involving exercise it's always tough when you don't get your fix
    I miss going to the gym more, which I did 4-5 times a week until the last few months as it's something I looked forward too , so I get where your mate is coming from.

Maybe the only way of dealing with this would have been a complete lock down for a month or more with one member of the household allowed out for essential shopping
    But if you can queue up for some essential paint at a DIY store then the idea of stopping someone exercising is completely bollocks as far as I'm concerned
    I am also missing the gym. I stopped going about 2 weeks before the lockdown, firstly because I had a heavy cold at the time, then it seemed like a potential breeding ground for the virus.

If gyms re-opened tomorrow, though, I wouldn't even contemplate returning based on current information.

Maybe the only way of dealing with this would have been a complete lock down for a month or more with one member of the household allowed out for essential shopping. But if you can queue up for some essential paint at a DIY store then the idea of stopping someone exercising is completely bollocks as far as I'm concerned
    Exactly. I agree 100%. The lockdown guidelines and the way in which they have been implemented has been nonsense from day one and they've got more ridiculous as time has progressed.

Some examples (imagine that social distancing is being observed in all cases):

I can't go and sit in a garden with members of my family or my friends for half an hour, but I can go and queue up outside a DIY superstore while surrounded by complete strangers for several hours.

I can't go into a bookshop and browse the books, but I can go and browse the books in Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys.

I can't drive a relatively short distance to my local mountain range and go for a walk, but a cyclist can ride for miles to said mountain range and ride around them to his or her's heart's content.

I can't go into Primark and buy clothes, but I can go into M&S a couple of doors away and buy clothes.

A surfer can't drive a short distance to a beach and go surfing, but a golfer can drive a short distance to a course and play golf.

I'm told I shouldn't leave my home unless it's essential to do so, but I'm also told I can go to a garden centre if I want to.

A golfer can play with a friend at Lydney Golf Club in Gloucestershire, but can't do so less than nine miles away at St Pierre Golf Club.

This one I discovered the other day and it really made me laugh (store policy not government policy): a married couple cannot enter Sainsburys and do their shopping at the same time, but two complete strangers can.

I appreciate this situation has not be easy to deal with, but common sense has been lacking from the outset.

International

Exactly. I agree 100%. The lockdown guidelines and the way in which they have been implemented has been nonsense from day one and they've got more ridiculous as time has progressed.

Some examples (imagine that social distancing is being observed in all cases):

I can't go and sit in a garden with members of my family or my friends for half an hour, but I can go and queue up outside a DIY superstore while surrounded by complete strangers for several hours.

I can't go into a bookshop and browse the books, but I can go and browse the books in Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys.

I can't drive a relatively short distance to my local mountain range and go for a walk, but a cyclist can ride for miles to said mountain range and ride around them to his or her's heart's content.

I can't go into Primark and buy clothes, but I can go into M&S a couple of doors away and buy clothes.

A surfer can't drive a short distance to a beach and go surfing, but a golfer can drive a short distance to a course and play golf.

I'm told I shouldn't leave my home unless it's essential to do so, but I'm also told I can go to a garden centre if I want to.

A golfer can play with a friend at Lydney Golf Club in Gloucestershire, but can't do so less than nine miles away at St Pierre Golf Club.

This one I discovered the other day and it really made me laugh (store policy not government policy): a married couple cannot enter Sainsburys and do their shopping at the same time, but two complete strangers can.

I appreciate this situation has not be easy to deal with, but common sense has been lacking from the outset.
    Can I drive to Weston to walk on the beech, or will I get stopped and fined when I drive back into wales for making an unnecessary journey that was legal in England?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Can I drive to Weston to walk on the beech, or will I get stopped and fined when I drive back into wales for making an unnecessary journey that was legal in England?
    Today's traffic news: All quiet on the Weston front.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Today's traffic news: All quiet on the Weston front.
    It coming back when you're not expecting it, that's when the sneck up on you

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Can I drive to Weston to walk on the way BEECH, or will I get stopped and fined when I drive back into wales for making an unnecessary journey that was legal in England?
    Why do you wanna walk on a tree ????

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why do you wanna walk on a tree ????
    Why woodn't I?