+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

International

Re: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Exactly. I agree 100%. The lockdown guidelines and the way in which they have been implemented has been nonsense from day one and they've got more ridiculous as time has progressed.

Some examples (imagine that social distancing is being observed in all cases):

I can't go and sit in a garden with members of my family or my friends for half an hour, but I can go and queue up outside a DIY superstore while surrounded by complete strangers for several hours.

I can't go into a bookshop and browse the books, but I can go and browse the books in Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys.

I can't drive a relatively short distance to my local mountain range and go for a walk, but a cyclist can ride for miles to said mountain range and ride around them to his or her's heart's content.

I can't go into Primark and buy clothes, but I can go into M&S a couple of doors away and buy clothes.

A surfer can't drive a short distance to a beach and go surfing, but a golfer can drive a short distance to a course and play golf.

I'm told I shouldn't leave my home unless it's essential to do so, but I'm also told I can go to a garden centre if I want to.

A golfer can play with a friend at Lydney Golf Club in Gloucestershire, but can't do so less than nine miles away at St Pierre Golf Club.

This one I discovered the other day and it really made me laugh (store policy not government policy): a married couple cannot enter Sainsburys and do their shopping at the same time, but two complete strangers can.

I appreciate this situation has not be easy to deal with, but common sense has been lacking from the outset.
    Can I drive to Weston to walk on the beech, or will I get stopped and fined when I drive back into wales for making an unnecessary journey that was legal in England?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Can I drive to Weston to walk on the beech, or will I get stopped and fined when I drive back into wales for making an unnecessary journey that was legal in England?
    Today's traffic news: All quiet on the Weston front.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Today's traffic news: All quiet on the Weston front.
    It coming back when you're not expecting it, that's when the sneck up on you

Can I drive to Weston to walk on the way BEECH, or will I get stopped and fined when I drive back into wales for making an unnecessary journey that was legal in England?
    Why do you wanna walk on a tree ????

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why do you wanna walk on a tree ????
    Why woodn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    This will sort the flag issue out

ooh that's a satisfying bit of engineering isn't it, I like that

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    ooh that's a satisfying bit of engineering isn't it, I like that
    Good, innit. When i was a youngster (Before TV Remote control) You had to switch the TV over by walking up to the TV-Four Buttons, Five if you were loaded. My old man Taped together 2 lengths of Bamboo Cane and a thimble on the end so that we could switch the TV over from the comfort of our Sofa. The issues were very similar to today, it still ended up down the back of the sofa.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Good, innit. When i was a youngster (Before TV Remote control) You had to switch the TV over by walking up to the TV-Four Buttons, Five if you were loaded. My old man Taped together 2 lengths of Bamboo Cane and a thimble on the end so that we could switch the TV over from the comfort of our Sofa. The issues were very similar to today, it still ended up down the back of the sofa.
    My Dad was the opposite. we bought him a remote control TV. he always worked early mornings so he was home at 3 Pm and like to watch the Racing on TV. I was home one day and he was sitting there and wanted to change the channel. The remote was on top of the TV. He got up, went to the tele, picked it up, sat down again and changed the channel. Then he got up again and put the remote back on top of the TV. Crazy!!!! Apparently it was so the remote wouldn't go down the side of the chair and he might miss a race looking for it. lol

My Dad was the opposite. we bought him a remote control TV. he always worked early mornings so he was home at 3 Pm and like to watch the Racing on TV. I was home one day and he was sitting there and wanted to change the channel. The remote was on top of the TV. He got up, went to the tele, picked it up, sat down again and changed the channel. Then he got up again and put the remote back on top of the TV. Crazy!!!! Apparently it was so the remote wouldn't go down the side of the chair and he might miss a race looking for it. lol
    Fair play, that's proper Dad Logic

my grandparents used to have a " remote control caddy " , great idea, worked well, except this caddy was kept by the side of the TV and the remote used to have to return to it when you had changed over the channel, so like your dad, you would have to get up and down as you would to turn over anyway, as a youngster it used to annoy the life out of me
    One sunday after our family sunday roast i moved the caddy to the side table between the sofa and chair, pointed out people didnt need to get up now, i was told the side table was for the radio times and cups of tea, so i was told to return it to the side of the TV, bloody mental

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    my grandparents used to have a " remote control caddy " , great idea, worked well, except this caddy was kept by the side of the TV and the remote used to have to return to it when you had changed over the channel, so like your dad, you would have to get up and down as you would to turn over anyway, as a youngster it used to annoy the life out of me
    One sunday after our family sunday roast i moved the caddy to the side table between the sofa and chair, pointed out people didnt need to get up now, i was told the side table was for the radio times and cups of tea, so i was told to return it to the side of the TV, bloody mental
    got it in 1!!! When my Dad was watching boxing we used to have to move the furniture behind his chair because he moved backwards as he watched each round and got "involved". Then in the break he'd pull it forward again, completely oblivious to what was happening. lol (It was a Parker Knoll armchair with castors. Id it hadn't been he'd probably have ripped the carpet up lol

got it in 1!!! When my Dad was watching boxing we used to have to move the furniture behind his chair because he moved backwards as he watched each round and got "involved". Then in the break he'd pull it forward again, completely oblivious to what was happening. lol (It was a Parker Knoll armchair with castors. Id it hadn't been he'd probably have ripped the carpet up lol
    quality My mum and dad used to both smoke (mother doesn't now) and we had a small council house where we'd all be in the living room watching TV while they both puffed away, early 80s, you couldn't even see the TV for the smoke. The old man would open the window every hour or so to let it all bellow out.

quality My mum and dad used to both smoke (mother doesn't now) and we had a small council house where we'd all be in the living room watching TV while they both puffed away, early 80s, you couldn't even see the TV for the smoke. The old man would open the window every hour or so to let it all bellow out.

My mother used to light the cigarette in her mouth and instead of taking puffs, used to let it smoulder away, till the ash was about the full length of the cigarette.
    Couldn’t happen today with the cheap tobacco in cigarettes

If people want to play golf to get out of the house, I have no problem with it. It's tailor-made for social distancing. As long as those playing follow the rules and take the right precautions, it can't be any more dangerous than going for a walk.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I would rather one set of guidelines, but to be honest I wouldn't have any confidence in them being any more realistic.

I watched a short debate on the news channel earlier regarding reopening the schools but with social distancing measures being applied. Are these people serious? What planet are they on?

I listened to discussion on the same subject . One of the teachers union people was concerned about the time needed for planning a return. The interviewer pointed out that they’d already had 8 weeks. After all, they knew they were going to return at some point why hadn’t they been preparing.

Then the interviewer brought up the subject of the summer holidays and asked why teaching couldn’t continue through the usual 6 week off period. The union person went ballistic about the rights of teachers, the need to prepare, how unfair this all was on them, how under valued they were... etc

Some interesting perspectives

Banned

We had a remote control TV that would change channels if you shook a handful of coins or a dog chain close to it.

Exactly. I agree 100%. The lockdown guidelines and the way in which they have been implemented has been nonsense from day one and they've got more ridiculous as time has progressed.

Some examples (imagine that social distancing is being observed in all cases):

I can't go and sit in a garden with members of my family or my friends for half an hour, but I can go and queue up outside a DIY superstore while surrounded by complete strangers for several hours.

I can't go into a bookshop and browse the books, but I can go and browse the books in Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys.

I can't drive a relatively short distance to my local mountain range and go for a walk, but a cyclist can ride for miles to said mountain range and ride around them to his or her's heart's content.

I can't go into Primark and buy clothes, but I can go into M&S a couple of doors away and buy clothes.

A surfer can't drive a short distance to a beach and go surfing, but a golfer can drive a short distance to a course and play golf.

I'm told I shouldn't leave my home unless it's essential to do so, but I'm also told I can go to a garden centre if I want to.

A golfer can play with a friend at Lydney Golf Club in Gloucestershire, but can't do so less than nine miles away at St Pierre Golf Club.

This one I discovered the other day and it really made me laugh (store policy not government policy): a married couple cannot enter Sainsburys and do their shopping at the same time, but two complete strangers can.

I appreciate this situation has not be easy to deal with, but common sense has been lacking from the outset.
    Put yourself forward as common sense advisor .

I just hope some of this silliness saves lives.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I listened to discussion on the same subject . One of the teachers union people was concerned about the time needed for planning a return. The interviewer pointed out that they’d already had 8 weeks. After all, they knew they were going to return at some point why hadn’t they been preparing.

Then the interviewer brought up the subject of the summer holidays and asked why teaching couldn’t continue through the usual 6 week off period. The union person went ballistic about the rights of teachers, the need to prepare, how unfair this all was on them, how under valued they were... etc

Some interesting perspectives
    I spoke to one of my kids teachers yesterday, she lives a few doors up the rd. I assumed she had been busy but in fact she said she has hardly been in to any school since lockdown began. There’s only 40 kids in the hub and with all the teachers from so many schools available in a rota she’d only been called in 3 times. Sounds like most are sitting around do F all. Another fellow parent who happens to be a Doctor and school guvnor cannot understand why they haven’t been getting the schools ready all this time? Apparently they are following the Danish model, yet they went back to school 3 weeks ago and have had no issues. She reckons we are about 30 years behind most Scandinavian countries, having spent quite a bit of time in Norway I can only agree.....wtf are cardiff city council and The Welsh Government doing?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I spoke to one of my kids teachers yesterday, she lives a few doors up the rd. I assumed she had been busy but in fact she said she has hardly been in to any school since lockdown began. There’s only 40 kids in the hub and with all the teachers from so many schools available in a rota she’d only been called in 3 times. Sounds like most are sitting around do F all. Another fellow parent who happens to be a Doctor and school guvnor cannot understand why they haven’t been getting the schools ready all this time? Apparently they are following the Danish model, yet they went back to school 3 weeks ago and have had no issues. She reckons we are about 30 years behind most Scandinavian countries, having spent quite a bit of time in Norway I can only agree.....wtf are cardiff city council and The Welsh Government doing?
    Did you ask her what she was doing at home? If you didn't, maybe ask her if she has to do lesson planning, setting work online and marking the work for all of the age groups that she teaches, responding to all of the questions that students (and their parents) have in regards to the work - and, if she teaches GCSE and A-Level classes, whether she is going over all of their work to work out their average grades?

If she isn't doing all of that, then I reckon all of the other teachers (whether they are on rota for the hubs or not) are doing f**k all too.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Did you ask her what she was doing at home? If you didn't, maybe ask her if she has to do lesson planning, setting work online and marking the work for all of the age groups that she teaches, responding to all of the questions that students (and their parents) have in regards to the work - and, if she teaches GCSE and A-Level classes, whether she is going over all of their work to work out their average grades?

If she isn't doing all of that, then I reckon all of the other teachers (whether they are on rota for the hubs or not) are doing f**k all too.
    If I see her again I will, she’s primary school level mind and prob ks1. Maybe she’s not required at mo. I really don’t understand why they aren’t in school getting things sorted. I see in Denmark schools have brought in mobile sink units for kids to wash hands, no doubt such an idea is light years away from our drake****wit and co.....they’ll decide to try and get it sorted mid august a few weeks until kids go back after almost 6 months out of school

Heisenberg

If I see her again I will, she’s primary school level mind and prob ks1. Maybe she’s not required at mo. I really don’t understand why they aren’t in school getting things sorted. I see in Denmark schools have brought in mobile sink units for kids to wash hands, no doubt such an idea is light years away from our drake****wit and co.....they’ll decide to try and get it sorted mid august a few weeks until kids go back after almost 6 months out of school
    You want teachers to go into schools to get "things sorted" when there hasn't even been an agreed plan of action on what a safe return for the kids and staff will look like. What would you be expecting teachers to do while they're there - moving desks so that they're 2 metres apart and going "I reckon that's done it"? Genuine question... what do you think they should be doing?

From what I've heard from people I know in education, there have been lots of discussions behind the scenes and whatever you make of Drakeford, it looks like Kirsty Williams is doing an excellent job as Education Minister (she's Lib Dem by the way).

Have a read of this before you respond: https://gov.wales/education-minister...return-schools

International

When they do decide that it is safe to go back why do they then have to have 6 weeks off for summer holidays? Wouldn't it make more sense for the kids to be in school if they can be?

Ive been asked to go in and clean the windows of my local primary school, caretaker ( or whatever he is called these days ) said it'll be instead of the clean i normally do at the start of the summer holidays as the school do not see themselves opening again ( they use the other school in the group for the " hub " )

When they do decide that it is safe to go back why do they then have to have 6 weeks off for summer holidays? Wouldn't it make more sense for the kids to be in school if they can be?
    teachers need a rest dude, oh and planning for the next year

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    teachers need a rest dude, oh and planning for the next year
    lol, couldn't they be planning for next year now? But shirley it is basically the same as last year? The curriculum doesn't change every year at every level does it?