+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Re: Golf clubs reopening in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This is the point. Apparently, it does matter.

In England, you are allowed to meet a relative or friend you don't live with in a park provided you observe the social distancing guidelines.

In Wales, you are not allowed to do that.

In England, you are allowed to play golf with a friend or relative you don't live with provided you observe the social distancing guidelines.

In Wales, you are not allowed to do that.

However, we all know that people are going to be playing golf with their friends all over Wales.

It's a farce and highlights just how stupid the so-called guidelines have become.
    we have come to an agreement, my solution to the farce, is we should adopt England's guidelines to get some consistency. Is that something you agree with? or would you rather a different set of guidelines altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Probably the same rules that apply to shop doorways, shelves, produce, petrol pumps etc....
    What rules are they ?

International

I wonder what they're going to do at Llanymynech Golf Club? Apparently, their course straddles the English-Welsh border, with fifteen holes in Wales and three in England. On holes one to four golfers tee-off in Wales, and then reach England on the fourth green. They remain in England until returning to Wales for the seventh tee.

Maybe they can play with a friend on three holes but not on the other fifteen......
    But can they play the other 15 alone then check scored after? will they believe each cother?

Banned

I can honestly say that there's no ambiguity on my part over the lock down rules in Wales, and i'm not saying that in a facetious way. Not much has changed- in my opinion-from the start, certainly for me anyway. Let's be honest, if you've got half a brain then none of this is that difficult. I haven't really seen anyone massively taking the piss.
    I agree, but people's perception is much different. Ice-cream vans down our street, groups of people in Barry Island outside O'Shea's (not sure if it is open or not).

I don't see people massively taking the piss, but I am seeing people moving around a lot more than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    What about the flag pole and raking bunkers any rules around them ?
    No touching flag poles and no raking the bunkers. Also, tee times more spread out to avoid playing through. Club shops etc closed. One person per buggy unless from the same household.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I think the answer is not to take away the exceptions that has obviously been applied to golfers, but to be consistent across the board. If a business / sports club/ venue. wants to open because they believe they can maintain an adequate level of social distancing like golf can, then they should be allowed to open.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't someone on here suggest that you going around a mate's house for a beer was fine as long as you use common sense? In other words you can drink with someone from a different household providing that you both use common sense.

It can't be the same person now suggesting that you shouldn't play golf under the same parameters can it?

It's all rather selective isn't it?
    I remember the thread, can not remember the usernames of people who commented on it, so no idea if they have contracted themselves in that respect.

But it is a very good comparison, and I hope my outlook has been fairly consistent on both matters, regarding my believe that common sense trumps draconian guidelines.

International

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    No touching flag poles and no raking the bunkers. Also, tee times more spread out to avoid playing through. Club shops etc closed. One person per buggy unless from the same household.
    Is that the people or the buggy?

Banned

I remember the thread, can not remember the usernames of people who commented on it, so no idea if they have contracted themselves in that respect.

But it is a very good comparison, and I hope my outlook has been fairly consistent on both matters, regarding my believe that common sense trumps draconian guidelines.
    I don't agree with you (especially with the infection rate recently showing a slight increase) but at least you are consistent.

What rules are they ?
    The rules of common sense.

we have come to an agreement, my solution to the farce, is we should adopt England's guidelines to get some consistency. Is that something you agree with? or would you rather a different set of guidelines altogether?
    I would rather one set of guidelines, but to be honest I wouldn't have any confidence in them being any more realistic.

I watched a short debate on the news channel earlier regarding reopening the schools but with social distancing measures being applied. Are these people serious? What planet are they on?

I agree, but people's perception is much different. Ice-cream vans down our street, groups of people in Barry Island outside O'Shea's (not sure if it is open or not).

I don't see people massively taking the piss, but I am seeing people moving around a lot more than they were.
    I agree, and i suppose that was always going to happen. I have no evidence to back this up, but aren't all kinds of restrictions flawed to a certain degree, and for them to be successful then the uptake needs to be around the 80% mark-especially things like this? I'm certainly not saying that those people with zero awareness are helping the situation and their actions may be slowing the recovery, but don't you think that the brain bods would allow for this?

The twat is talking about me, as he tends to do often despite claiming he has me on ignore.

I said I thought it was fine for you to sit in a garden and have a drink with your mate provided the 2-metre social distancing guidelines were being applied. I've also said I think it's fine for you to play golf your mate under similar circumstances. The Welsh government apparently doesn't agree with either of those ideas, but at least I've been consistent.

I would rather one set of guidelines, but to be honest I wouldn't have any confidence in them being any more realistic.

I watched a short debate on the news channel earlier regarding reopening the schools but with social distancing measures being applied. Are these people serious? What planet are they on?
    They're not just going to open the doors to all pupils, it'll be staged and at a reduced capacity if it happens.

They're not just going to open the doors to all pupils, it'll be staged and at a reduced capacity if it happens.
    How do you reduce the capacity of a school? Staggered start times? Short days? Half days? Open at night? Half the kids in one day, the other half the next? It'll be chaos I reckon. It will also **** the parents about something proper. And anyone who thinks the kids themselves are going to observe social distancing rules is in cloud cuckoo land as far as I'm concerned.

Sure it is.
    How would you know if you dont play?

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    How would you know if you dont play?
    I don't. I'm taking your word for it.

How do you reduce the capacity of a school? Staggered start times? Short days? Half days? Open at night? Half the kids in one day, the other half the next? It'll be chaos I reckon. It will also **** the parents about something proper. And anyone who thinks the kids themselves are going to observe social distancing rules is in cloud cuckoo land as far as I'm concerned.
    It'll be certain year groups to start with spread over more class rooms, the authority will have to make a decision based on the needs of the year group. When things get better then capacity might be raised. There will be a plan, and you should have a little more faith in todays youth, they're much more conformist than we ever were

Sure it is.
    I'm guessing all players playing are members. Does your golf club make a note, or give an advisory, based on the knowledge that you and your golfing mate are not from the same household?
    You can't play with any of your mates
    You have to book on line and singles only

When it does change like across the border you can only play a two ball, no competitions, no clubhouse arrive in the car park, change your shoes get your clubs out and then go to the first tee, keep 2 metres apart, which let's face it that's easy in golf
    Finish your round straight to the car an home.
    Clubs aren't going to jeopardise being open by letting anyone take the piss also why would anyone put themselves in danger?
    Golf clubs didn't have to shut by law when the lockdown was announced, the governing body advised that all clubs should and every club complied.
    With golf you're out in the open air, not near anyone else and getting exercise
    More risk of catching something in the supermarket than being out on the course

When it does change like across the border you can only play a two ball, no competitions, no clubhouse arrive in the car park, change your shoes get your clubs out and then go to the first tee, keep 2 metres apart, which let's face it that's easy in golf
    Clubs aren't going to jeopardise being open by letting anyone take the piss also why would anyone put themselves in danger?
    Golf clubs didn't have to shut by law when the lockdown was announced, the governing body advised that all clubs should and every club complied.
    Sounds fine to me. I think that the majority of people see how serious this situation is and most are taking it seriously, there's no benefit to not taking it seriously, for business and the public.

Exactly right. After a food trip to Morrisons this evening I was in closer contact with multiple times more people than I ever did when I played golf.

Staff in all supermarkets I've been in seem to think they can keep close to each other at all times. And many of the punters wander around not giving a shit how close they are to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Exactly right. After a food trip to Morrisons this evening I was in closer contact with multiple times more people than I ever did when I played golf.

Staff in all supermarkets I've been in seem to think they can keep close to each other at all times. And many of the punters wander around not giving a shit how close they are to people.
    Aint that the truth. If things were to the book then everybody would be given time slots and only the real essentials would be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Not the real deal then, the flag pole might cost a golfer a couple of shots and the same if golfers end up in an unraked bunker.

Not the real deal then, the flag pole might cost a golfer a couple of shots and the same if golfers end up in an unraked bunker.
    You can't have it all when there's a Pandemic going on

My mate in work's a very keen surfer. Amazingly fit guy for his age, nearing retirement but still surfs at least once a week almost all year round. However, he's not been allowed to surf during the lockdown and he's been mightily pissed off about it, although he's accepted the situation.

I've been telling him he should ride a bicycle to the beach and he might get away with it as there seem to have been different rules for cyclists, but now I'm going to tell him to take a set of golf clubs instead.