+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to England advice?

Travelling to England advice?

Been looking for a motorbike for back and fore work and found one in Bridgewater. I know theres restrictions but i'm wondering has anyone else been over the bridge into england without being stopped etc?

International

Re: Travelling to England advice?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Been looking for a motorbike for back and fore work and found one in Bridgewater. I know theres restrictions but i'm wondering has anyone else been over the bridge into england without being stopped etc?
    I asked a similar question. i don't think they will stop you leaving but on the way back they Gwent Police could theoretically stop you for an unnecessary journey in Wales I think. Which is plainly stupid!
    I didn't get an opinion on my question yet, but mine was only hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I can't supply you with an answer but Bridgwater (note the spelling if using a Satnav) is 11 miles from me.
    I collected a van from Bridgwater myself on Tuesday but cycled there.

Could be stopped but must be very unlikely given some people would still have been travelling to England for work at the height of the lockdown, let alone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Could be stopped but must be very unlikely given some people would still have been travelling to England for work at the height of the lockdown, let alone now.
    this

i,ve had a letter from my employer just in case i get stopped for the last 8 weeks . Haven't been stopped yet

Not seen any Heddlu yet! I've just been following the tens of other cars sneaking passed the check-point at Staunton!

International

I was thinking about coming back rather than going. If the bill wanted to be difficult once you are in Wales say just over the bridge and the stop you. They know you live in Cardiff so they can nick you for an unnecessary journey, no essential and not local. It just depends how determined Mr Drakeford is to keep us locked up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I was thinking about coming back rather than going. If the bill wanted to be difficult once you are in Wales say just over the bridge and the stop you. They know you live in Cardiff so they can nick you for an unnecessary journey, no essential and not local. It just depends how determined Mr Drakeford is to keep us locked up.
    Why to you have to go to England, if you don't mind me asking? And where are you heading to?

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Why to you have to go to England, if you don't mind me asking? And where are you heading to?
    Its none of you business, but if you'd read things you'd know it was hypothetical.

Banned

Its none of you business, but if you'd read things you'd know i was pathetic.

International

Yes, just playing. Glad you enjoyed it. At least you read that lol

Banned

You are an enigma.

Spat my tea out! .

International

You are an enigma.
    It varies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Spat my tea out! .

International

But now we've had a laugh will you add something constructive?
    Go on, you know you want to!!

Banned

But now we've had a laugh will you add something constructive?
    Go on, you know you want to!!
    Yes, I will point out the advice is to stay at home in Wales. Is that constructive enough for you?

I asked a similar question. i don't think they will stop you leaving but on the way back they Gwent Police could theoretically stop you for an unnecessary journey in Wales I think. Which is plainly stupid!
    I didn't get an opinion on my question yet, but mine was only hypothetical.
    I don't think they can stop you, how would they enforce it? The plod can fine you. Problem is that constitutionally, the police don't have a leg to stand on, same with lots of things that people are getting away with.

International

Yes, I will point out the advice is to stay at home in Wales. Is that constructive enough for you?
    That was my point. If a person drives to e.g. Weston to go to the beach he probably would not get stopped leaving Wales but may be when he re-enters for making an unnecessary journey, even though it was allowable before he crossed the border. Just living in the wrong place at the wrong time perhaps

I understand that the guidance is different in Wales and England, but what is the difference in law that allows the police to fine someone in Wales for breach, but not in England?

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I understand that the guidance is different in Wales and England, but what is the difference in law that allows the police to fine someone in Wales for breach, but not in England?
    I'm not quite sure but I understand that in wales the police could fine a person for making an unnecessary journey (as long as its not to a garden centre or a golf club) and going further than 'Local', whatever the definition of that is, but now things are relaxed in England people can drive to parks beaches etc without let or hindrance.
    So in theory one could drive over the bridge, go to the beach at Weston or somewhere. you may get stopped leaving but probably are more likely to get stopped entering Wales again, if at all. When you tell them what you have been doing the Police could fine you for making an unnecessary journey in Wales. It's silly.

Banned

That was my point. If a person drives to e.g. Weston to go to the beach he probably would not get stopped leaving Wales but may be when he re-enters for making an unnecessary journey, even though it was allowable before he crossed the border. Just living in the wrong place at the wrong time perhaps
    The rules differ in England compared to Wales, the rules are more relaxed in England which is causing concern in the North where infections are rising. It's not ideal, Starmer is calling for a 4 nation approach which seems completely logical to me. Until then, I have come to terms with the fact that lockdown rules are less restrictive in England than they are in Wales. Similarly, the rules in Germany are even less restrictive than in England. I live in Wales, so they are the guidelines I will follow, even though those guidelines are messy. Saying that, the guidelines in England are equally complex. Johnson is said to be a "great communicator", but that appears to be in a fist pumping environment. Every time the buffoon has opened his mouth, we have needed him to come back to offer clarity on what he has said previously.

I'm not quite sure but I understand that in wales the police could fine a person for making an unnecessary journey (as long as its not to a garden centre or a golf club) and going further than 'Local', whatever the definition of that is, but now things are relaxed in England people can drive to parks beaches etc without let or hindrance.
    So in theory one could drive over the bridge, go to the beach at Weston or somewhere. you may get stopped leaving but probably are more likely to get stopped entering Wales again, if at all. When you tell them what you have been doing the Police could fine you for making an unnecessary journey in Wales. It's silly.
    Not really, as your trip to England is part of the same journey, therefore unnecessary in the eyes of the law in wales as you're doing part of that journey in Wales. I think that that some of the people crying about this just hate the devolved Government in Wales.

The rules differ in England compared to Wales, the rules are more relaxed in England which is causing concern in the North where infections are rising. It's not ideal, Starmer is calling for a 4 nation approach which seems completely logical to me. Until then, I have come to terms with the fact that lockdown rules are less restrictive in England than they are in Wales. Similarly, the rules in Germany are even less restrictive than in England. I live in Wales, so they are the guidelines I will follow, even though those guidelines are messy. Saying that, the guidelines in England are equally complex. Johnson is said to be a "great communicator", but that appears to be in a fist pumping environment. Every time the buffoon has opened his mouth, we have needed him to come back to offer clarity on what he has said previously.
    Well said, completely agree.

Banned

But, it is an unnecessary journey isn't it?