+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Years ago today we were playing Pompey at Wembley

12 Years ago today we were playing Pompey at Wembley

That 12 years has flown by and as a City fan what a 12 years it has been.

If someone had said to me in the nineties, I'd see us in an F A Cup final ,a League Cup final and two promotions to the top flight I'd have suggested they stopped drinking. Wales at the Euros too, although it's always City first for me. I wonder what the next 12 years have in store?

Re: 12 Years ago today we were playing Pompey at Wembley

E
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

If someone had said to me in the nineties, I'd see us in an F A Cup final ,a League Cup final and two promotions to the top flight I'd have suggested they stopped drinking. Wales at the Euros too, although it's always City first for me. I wonder what the next 12 years have in store?

As they sing on “POINTLESS” :——— Oh Oh Oh Oh LOCKDOWN !!!!!

Still can't forgive Jones for his appalling team selections on that day.
    Meanwhile, Portsmouth went in the other direction. They might be on their way back up, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post

Nice piece and I agree, it's been a hugely successful decade or so for the Bluebirds.

Two wishes:

- that Vincent Tan's commercial activities get ever stronger in the next decade (remember that Charlton's new owner is worth 22 billion and Fulham's 7 billion, whilst Vinnie's fortune has slipped to below 1 billion)

- and that the quality of football in the next decade can improve on what's been on offer in the last.

Whatever, I'll always be Blue.

Wow, 12 years ago, hard to believe that.

I always remember a local chap who I knew was from Portsmouth originally and who never, ever, mentioned Pompey (or football in general come to that) until they beat City in the FA Cup Final. Oh boy, did he milk the opportunity to have a dig knowing that I was a die hard City fan! Strangely enough he hasn't mentioned Pompey or football for a few years now, I wonder why that might be?

If we had managed to hold onto Kasper Schmeichel and Ramsey had started it could have been a very different outcome. I've only watched it once. Have no desire to do again.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If we had managed to hold onto Kasper Schmeichel and Ramsey had started it could have been a very different outcome. I've only watched it once. Have no desire to do again.
    It was the same old story from City. Pompey looked very ordinary but we just could not rise to the occasion sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It was the same old story from City. Pompey looked very ordinary but we just could not rise to the occasion sadly.
    We had a goal, harshly disallowed remember. We were pressing at the time, but as you say, Pompey looked ordinary and were there for the taking

What a great day that was!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I always recall that little piece City fan Jonathon whatshisname did in the build up, best part of the day, ref to the clock incident and the miners strike where pick and shovel song originated.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    What a great day that was!
    Biggest ever crowd at Wembley isn’t it? Never quite got that....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I always recall that little piece City fan Jonathon whatshisname did in the build up, best part of the day, ref to the clock incident and the miners strike where pick and shovel song originated.....

here you go, Jonny did a great job on it ( i await the " he turned his back on us blah blah blah " )

so apt for football at the time aswell :)

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Still can't forgive Jones for his appalling team selections on that day.
    Meanwhile, Portsmouth went in the other direction. They might be on their way back up, but who knows.
    It will always be a mystery why Ramsey didn't start. McPhail and Rae was not the greatest of pairings, mainly due to Rae being an average midfielder at Championship level. When Ramsey came on, Jones took Whittingham off. From what I remember, he played Whitts out on the right to accomodate Ledley on the left. Daft.

That was the first time I'd ever heard of him. Loved that.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

here you go, Jonny did a great job on it ( i await the " he turned his back on us blah blah blah " )

so apt for football at the time aswell :)
    There it is, still brings a tear to my eye that.....he nailed it with what it was like growing up as a football fan in Wales in the 80’s, the myth about rugby etc...does he not follow us anymore? Surely does?

I watched the match in a bar in Estartit. There was so little interest in the match I was the only one there.

Biggest ever crowd at Wembley isn’t it? Never quite got that....
    Simple really.

It was the "most unglamourous" FA Cup Final in ages, so the corporates didn't bother taking up their allocations,which left more tickets for real fans

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    We had a goal, harshly disallowed remember. We were pressing at the time, but as you say, Pompey looked ordinary and were there for the taking
    I’ve never been able to face rewatching it but have always wondered why Looven’s goal was disallowed? My view wasn’t great, I vaguely recall he’d hooked in the net. Was it a foul on the keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Liege'93 View Post
    I’ve never been able to face rewatching it but have always wondered why Looven’s goal was disallowed? My view wasn’t great, I vaguely recall he’d hooked in the net. Was it a foul on the keeper?
    I believe the bent ref said he handled the ball in the build up.
    Disgraceful decision

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I believe the bent ref said he handled the ball in the build up.
    Disgraceful decision
    The ball hit the back of his upper arm, fell down for him to control and shoot.

Would certainly be ruled handball by VAR.

it was handball...pure and simple.
    if it was the opposition you'd say it was handball...which it was

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I watched the match in a bar in Estartit. There was so little interest in the match I was the only one there.
    I watched in pub in Sheffield. Me and a mate in a pretty big room with 3 or 4 scummy looking blokes from Sheffield. After the final whistle, they chanted Engurland, Engurland etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    You’re going soft in your old age Mel .
    Any TRUE CITY FAN, will tell you it was a GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL

There it is, still brings a tear to my eye that.....he nailed it with what it was like growing up as a football fan in Wales in the 80’s, the myth about rugby etc...does he not follow us anymore? Surely does?
    He still follows us, but is also a director at Nottingham Forest solely working on their media side. Think that came about because he's lived there since getting married (to the actress Vicky McClure) who is originally from the city.