+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Essential shopping in Wales- advice

Re: Essential shopping in Wales- advice

You will be fine goats pre order idea was a good one .

It's about being sensible and considerate .

I find the rules fairly easy to follow it's about not taking advantage and considering others nearby you take a mask and gloves with you.

Stay Alert and you will be safe so will others

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You will be fine goats pre order idea was a good one .

It's about being sensible and considerate .

I find the rules fairly easy to follow it's about not taking advantage and considering others nearby you take a mask and gloves with you.

Stay Alert and you will be safe so will others
    As long as he doesn't drop his missus off to walk penyfan on the way he will be fine.

On the subject of penyfan.. I wish people would stop seeing it as some sort of Everest. My niece walked the popular route (the easy one the social media whores use) up and down and didn't break a sweat or complain to stop once. So why do so many lazy ****ers use it as some kind of trophy?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Depends how many people the meat has to feed for 3 months, shirley?
    Just the two of us, so there is plenty of room in the freezer for it

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Based on the fact that "stay local" is something I've heard quite a lot from official Welsh sources, I would have thought that Cardiff to Brecon to buy meat would be frowned on by the Police, but, as others have said, it would probably come down to the mood of the officer involved.
    I had a look at the latest edict from Wales Government published 15 May. Staying local is mentioned when it comes to exercise but not mentioned when it comes to essential shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    out of interest, can you send the details of the butcher's - for post virus reference
    Market days are Tuesday and Friday. Albert Rees, butchers from Carmarthen are there both days. Good for Welsh Butter, Welsh cheese, Welsh black beef, Saltmarsh lamb ( just this time of year)
    Sweeney butcher in market entrance, for chickens, eggs, steaks, chops

East butcher around corner from market for mince, sausages, pies

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Market days are Tuesday and Friday. Albert Rees, butchers from Carmarthen are there both days. Good for Welsh Butter, Welsh cheese, Welsh black beef, Saltmarsh lamb ( just this time of year)

If you ever fancy a closer one, Bucklands in Bedwas was good. Lovely little deli in there too

[QUOTE=The Lone Gunman;5077880]I'm still trying to work out if this thread is a piss-take or not......

"I live in Lisvane, but my wife likes to buy our meat in Brecon, so travelling such a long distance for a bit of shopping is absolutely essential for us. Also, we like to buy our meat in batches which last three months, so going around the corner to the supermarket for a couple of weeks' worth is simply out of the question, virus or no virus. Besides which, it's a lovely day out, especially in the summer. Will this be OK?".......

Not a piss take. 40 miles in the car to Brecon or 4 miles to the supermarket identical risk from the virus whilst in the car.

When I have to go to the supermarket, which I try to avoid, I queue to get in, and its difficult to avoid people in the aisles whilst shopping. A couple of seconds within a metre of someone gives the same risk as 10 minutes 2 metres away.
    Shopping in Brecon Market very easy to keep a distance from others.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Only passed a few years ago and I've never taken any notice of car regs previously, had to Google it a minute ago was hoping it was a new thing.. C for cymru S for Scotland L for London etc "September 2001" read the article. So much for new to lessen the embarrassment
    The system is far older than that, i in date say it’s been in place Since Atleast the 1940s!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The system is far older than that, i in date say it’s been in place Since Atleast the 1940s!
    2 days in a row I've learned.

I'm on a roll.

Not a piss take. 40 miles in the car to Brecon or 4 miles to the supermarket identical risk from the virus whilst in the car.
    Is this a serious observation or another piss-take?

God that is for me , I d travel miles for that Saltmarsh lamb ( just this time of year)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Is this a serious observation or another piss-take?
    How can it not be. If you're in your own car you are effectively self isolated. Public transport very different of course

My wife likes to support Welsh food producers, so for some years we travel to Brecon from our home in Cardiff about 4 times a year to purchase meat. WE buy enough to last three months, pack it, freeze it, and use as needed.

There are some really good butchers in Brecon supplying prime Welsh meat. So we buy all the usual fresh meat, some chickens, cooked meats, Welsh butter etc each visit.

Its time to stock up the freezer again, so are we permitted to travel to Brecon for such essential shopping? Ive read the Wales Government guidance and there does not seem to be any restrictions on distance we can travel.

Can anyone confirm that it would be OK to make the trip without getting pulled over on the A470?
    I think it sounds fair enough for you to make a 80 mile round trip, travelling across at least four local authority areas, three health board areas and through areas which currently have the highest infection rates to pick up your farmers market meat and cheese as there’s obviously a desperate food shortage and rationing going on in Lisvane, where people are so desperate they’re obviously making do with Spam, Pek and rats.

I’m sure if you have a long think about your question, you’ll come up with the correct answer.

I did assume initially this post was a fishing trip.

How can it not be. If you're in your own car you are effectively self isolated. Public transport very different of course
    Do you honestly believe the guidelines regarding travel are designed to protect the occupants of the vehicle against catching the virus? Have you lost your mind during the lockdown?

When I have to go to the supermarket, which I try to avoid, I queue to get in, and its difficult to avoid people in the aisles whilst shopping. A couple of seconds within a metre of someone gives the same risk as 10 minutes 2 metres away.
    Shopping in Brecon Market very easy to keep a distance from others.
    Think of it on a national level, not a personal level. Having people mingling in different areas is more likely to spread the virus around than not. You may spend 90% of the time in your car, but it's when you're out of it that the virus can spread.

Don't think if it as "I don't have the virus and I probably won't go near anyone to get it while I'm there"

Think of how if everyone does that, including people who unknowingly have the virus, how much more quickly this will make the virus get into previously unaffected areas. Especially if most people are coming from all over to go to a hub like a market.

My wife likes to support Welsh food producers, so for some years we travel to Brecon from our home in Cardiff about 4 times a year to purchase meat. WE buy enough to last three months, pack it, freeze it, and use as needed.

There are some really good butchers in Brecon supplying prime Welsh meat. So we buy all the usual fresh meat, some chickens, cooked meats, Welsh butter etc each visit.

Its time to stock up the freezer again, so are we permitted to travel to Brecon for such essential shopping? Ive read the Wales Government guidance and there does not seem to be any restrictions on distance we can travel.

Can anyone confirm that it would be OK to make the trip without getting pulled over on the A470?
    The WAG are trying to make you stay as local as possible, so in their eyes, I would say this is against the spirit of the rules.

If stopped they would say, you can buy welsh meat and butter in Cardiff, so for the time being that is where you should be shopping.

You could buy a few weeks worth and then put off the big shop until the travel restrictions are lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Do you honestly believe the guidelines regarding travel are designed to protect the occupants of the vehicle against catching the virus? Have you lost your mind during the lockdown?
    Of course I don't. They are designed to prevent non essential travel.

But that doesn't take away the facts as I mentioned them. When in your own car you are self isolating, whether that be for an hour on a 40 mile journey, or 10 mins on a 4 mile trip. You can't catch the virus sitting on your own in your car.

Interestingly the latest guidance from WAG published 15 May emphasises that journeys for exercise should be local, but for essential shopping, such as food, nothing mentioned about distances.

And it's all very well saying pop around to your local supermarket. I just did for some specific items. I queued with about a dozen others outside the store. Inside a lot of punters ignore the social distancing.....and that's where the risks are.

Im not sure what the rights and wrongs are in the way UK has handled things, but generally we have been doing too little too late and too liberal. 43,000 people have died, that is not a sign of success.

I have family in Greece. They stamped on it hard. Stay at home meant only leave if you have a letter giving approval and as soon as you get home text to the police to tell them so.Several other countries set examples...Germany for one.

Here, todays press shows the government blaming the scientists for bad advice. what a muddle

After all you have just said, then what do you think that you should do? It's a day out you're after really, isn't it. I suppose that there aren't any concrete guidelines in terms of travel for food in Wales is because a fair proportion of the population, between Merthyr and Wrexham live quite rurally, where a trip to the super market may be ten miles or more. That's not the case with in your situation. In my opinion you're going to have to slum it out in Sainsbury's or marks, I know it's a sacrifice, but we all have to do our bit for society!

I find it very hard to believe that everyone at Brecon market observes social distancing impeccably and theres much difference with a local supermarket.

Also driving locally for essential trips you arent in a need to visit petrol stations , less chance of the car breaking down. I havent put petrol in the car since lockdown.

I prefer other supermarkets 12 miles away to my local one a mile away but ive considered the one 12 miles away out of bounds.

Exactly, the government advice is sketchy, anyone with a brain needs to apply common sense to these restrictions, like you're doing. My dog and I love going to the coast, she loves the sea and I like the fresh air, as it stands, Cardiff air will have to do and the local park for the dog. Both of us are doing fine. What people aren't grasping is that there's an element of containment in spreading the virus locally, much easier for the medical bids to deal with .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that everyone at Brecon market observes social distancing impeccably and theres much difference with a local supermarket.

Also driving locally for essential trips you arent in a need to visit petrol stations , less chance of the car breaking down. I havent put petrol in the car since lockdown.

I prefer other supermarkets 12 miles away to my local one a mile away but ive considered the one 12 miles away out of bounds.
    Don't think Im taking all of this lightly, Ive a very close relative a consultant at UHW who's been on the front line.

Social distancing will not be an issue at Brecon market Hall. There are just two food stalls, the rest of the stalls are closed as non essential ( although the plant stall may have re-opened). One of the local butchers has room for no more than 6 people in normal times, and the other has just one counter.
    However, having said all that we have decided to await Mr Drakeford's green light before heading for the hills.

Now how about a trip to Brixham to buy fish? Like the meat we buy it freeze it and use as and when...........Before I annoy TLG I should say that the wholesale fishmonger we use packs it beautifully ready to freeze, and he delivers it in 24 hrs to my home via a carrier

Of course I don't. They are designed to prevent non essential travel.
    Exactly, so stop being daft. You know as well as I do that what you're proposing goes against all of the Welsh government's guidelines.

Let's face it, you taking a trip to Brecon to buy meat is the equivalent of somebody who lives in Bristol coming to Cardiff to buy milk, or someone who lives in Manchester travelling to Liverpool to buy potatoes, or someone who lives in Leeds going to Sheffield to buy bread.

When Scotland's chief medical officer resigned from her position after being caught make a trip of a similar distance to her second home, the country's chief constable said: "The legal instructions on not leaving your home without a reasonable excuse apply to everyone. Social distancing is the key intervention to curtail the spread of coronavirus and it is essential the instructions are followed to protect each other, support key workers, take strain from the NHS, and save lives. Individuals must not make personal exemptions bespoke to their own circumstances."

The instructions in Wales right now are supposed to be almost exactly the same as they were in Scotland when this happened. You and I both know that a jolly from Lisvane to Brecon market would very definitely not be deemed as acceptable.

However, having said that, the lines have become so blurred and people have got so tired and complacent that I honestly don't think the majority care much anymore. I reckon the chances of you being pulled over by the authorities during a day trip to Brecon are slim to none. If you feel comfortable with the idea, then just go for it. Judging by what I've witnessed during the last week or so, it seems the idea of strictly following the government's guidelines is a thing of the past for a significant percentage of the Welsh public, and I'm not going to pretend that I'm not in that category.

Social distancing will not be an issue at Brecon Market Hall.
    It's not simply about social distancing, is it?

If it were, then non-essential travel of this nature would never have been outlawed in the first place.

I heard on the radio that the people of Wales have largely ignored the Welsh government's ruling and are now following the English advice.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I heard on the radio that the people of Wales have largely ignored the Welsh government's ruling and are now following the English advice.
    Was that a reporter on the top of Snowdon being outrages that there were people on the top of Snowdon?