+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Essential shopping in Wales- advice

Essential shopping in Wales- advice

My wife likes to support Welsh food producers, so for some years we travel to Brecon from our home in Cardiff about 4 times a year to purchase meat. WE buy enough to last three months, pack it, freeze it, and use as needed.

There are some really good butchers in Brecon supplying prime Welsh meat. So we buy all the usual fresh meat, some chickens, cooked meats, Welsh butter etc each visit.

Its time to stock up the freezer again, so are we permitted to travel to Brecon for such essential shopping? Ive read the Wales Government guidance and there does not seem to be any restrictions on distance we can travel.

Can anyone confirm that it would be OK to make the trip without getting pulled over on the A470?

Re: Essential shopping in Wales- advice

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    My wife likes to support Welsh food producers, so for some years we travel to Brecon from our home in Cardiff about 4 times a year to purchase meat. WE buy enough to last three months, pack it, freeze it, and use as needed.

There are some really good butchers in Brecon supplying prime Welsh meat. So we buy all the usual fresh meat, some chickens, cooked meats, Welsh butter etc each visit.

Its time to stock up the freezer again, so are we permitted to travel to Brecon for such essential shopping? Ive read the Wales Government guidance and there does not seem to be any restrictions on distance we can travel.

Can anyone confirm that it would be OK to make the trip without getting pulled over on the A470?
    They were making checks up by Pen Y Fan yesterday which is en route to Brecon from Cardiff. I seen on the news a family from Birmingham were sent packing.

You will probably be ok....can you call the butchers and arrange to collect? The plod can always call them to check you are genuine if so.
    If you are elderly I really doubt they would hassle you either.

I’m sure it would be fine,

And what a fantastic idea that is, I am most guilty of buying food from Asda and items from amazon when I know fully well how bad it is for our economy.

I wonder if everyone if everyone shopped locally could that alone shift inequality?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You will probably be ok....can you call the butchers and arrange to collect? The plod can always call them to check you are genuine if so.
    If you are elderly I really doubt they would hassle you either.
    Good idea as long as I am allowed to collect by the Plod. The butchers know us as regulars so they would probably confirm anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

And what a fantastic idea that is, I am most guilty of buying food from Asda and items from amazon when I know fully well how bad it is for our economy.

I wonder if everyone if everyone shopped locally could that alone shift inequality?
    The quality of the meat is great ( they wouldn't sell rubbish in such a big farming area), the prices are good, and its a nice day out

International

The problem with the guidance is it says "Stay local" which is something that 2 people could dispute any time. To me local is anywhere in south Wales but to TBG it's probably anywhere in western Europe,

As it's a regular trip, it's effectively your local butcher so I'd say go for it, although maybe one in the car, if you were pulled by plod they could argue only takes one to collect meat (although I take my mother as her carer on her shops so depending on your age... ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The problem with the guidance is it says "Stay local" which is something that 2 people could dispute any time. To me local is anywhere in south Wales but to TBG it's probably anywhere in western Europe,
    I’m pretty sure local doesn’t mean anywhere in South Wales!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    As it's a regular trip, it's effectively your local butcher so I'd say go for it, although maybe one in the car, if you were pulled by plod they could argue only takes one to collect meat (although I take my mother as her carer on her shops so depending on your age... ;) )
    Local and regular don’t mean the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Local and regular don’t mean the same thing!
    Yes I know, but it's a one off trip by a single person in a car.

I've seen tons of people walking in my local area by beauty spots, never seen them before in my life, I don't moan at them but that would be the worse of the 2 if you asked me.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I’m pretty sure local doesn’t mean anywhere in South Wales!
    So I can go to Tenby? Drakeford said don't go to beauty spots and don't drive to exercise.

You're probably more likely to get pulled over on that route than most others around here because you pass Pen Y Fan, and I think they've usually got police around that area stopping people. If you're going to get 3 months worth of meat and, as someone said, maybe proof from the butcher then I'm sure you'd be fine even if they do. I'd go for it

I'm not so sure this will be allowed. May depend on attitude oh individual Heddlu.

I would be wary. Not saying I agree. But plod pulls you over and you say your from Lisvane and your going to the butcher.

Could even depend who the plod is.

If you go I agree get confirmation and go by yourself. But im not convinced they wont send you back.

International

And if you have a welsh number plate they may ignore you anyway. If its not a 'C' they may run an address check as you pass them.

I can't see it being deemed essential to travel that distance for meat.

Not saying its a bad thing or wouldn't be safe but I don't think it would come under an essential journey of that sort of distance.

Chances are you wouldn't get pulled over.

Heisenberg

I guess it's a case of 'where do you draw the line'? If you can drive to Brecon to purchase meat, can you drive to Penderyn for some whisky, Aberystwyth for some seafood?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I guess it's a case of 'where do you draw the line'? If you can drive to Brecon to purchase meat, can you drive to Penderyn for some whisky, Aberystwyth for some seafood?
    That made me think of fresh cockles. I want some now. Is west Wales open?

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

While I agree with that sentiment, for many people, cost and convenience end up being the most important issues.

I read a lot on social media saying we should buy British. That's all well and good up to the moment it hits people in their pockets. One of the key points about Brexit was that we could potentially bring even cheaper imports into the country. That'll make the "buy local, buy British" message even more of a battleground.

3 months' worth of meat in one freezer? It must be the size of an olympic swimming pool!!

out of interest, can you send the details of the butcher's - for post virus reference

International

Depends how many people the meat has to feed for 3 months, shirley?

International

Is there a Welsh gov daily briefing, and is it on BBC? I cannot find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Depends if you're buying 3 months worth of whisky and using it to feed yourself and your family (not recommended)

One monster stocking up trip to a butchers that's slightly further away is better than going 12 times over 3 months (assuming they'd go to a more local one once a week)