+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Essential shopping in Wales- advice

Re: Essential shopping in Wales- advice

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Now this I would class as taking the piss, in all honesty.
    I know what you mean, but on the other hand are we saying that she shouldn't be allowed to eat the cuisine of her culture, and should start going to different shops?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Was that a reporter on the top of Snowdon being outrages that there were people on the top of Snowdon?
    That sounds like the woman on an English beach who was complaining that so many people were sunbathing when she had driven 90 miles herself to sunbathe on a beach. The interviewee was on LBC radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I heard on the radio that the people of Wales have largely ignored the Welsh government's ruling and are now following the English advice.
    As was always going to be the case, despite claims from some to the contrary. And in reality a good percentage of people are now no longer following either government's advice, or at least not rigorously.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's not simply about social distancing, is it?

If it were, then non-essential travel of this nature would never have been outlawed in the first place.
    No, its about preventing the spread of Covid. We know that private travel as such is not the problem, its what happens once you arrive at your destination.

We also know that close proximity with people is bad and that makes public transport a risk. We know that alone in your c ar you are safe. Lets not forget that the original, and I believe the absolute scientific rule is that you should not be closer than one metre to someone for more than 10 minutes

We know that if I travel to Brecon by car I could be pulled over by plod and sent home. We know that service 43 does Cardiff to Brecon and if I caught that bus Id be OK

As I write a neighbour a few doors up is off to Chepstow to the Garden centre, not to buy plants, but because there is a good butchers on site as well as a green grocer. As I write the couple at the back of us are having their regular visit from their daughter and grandchild.
    Truth is that we are in a right muddle. Drakeford thinks the virus is spreading from SE Wales to the North, when all the evidence is that the exacerbation in North Wales is because of its close proximity to North West England..Liverpool and Manchester. Boris thinks England are doing the right thing, Sturgeon thinks she is and so on........I don't know of any other country except maybe USA where poor decision making dominates.

Pretty similar advice though. Boris' rules are easier to follow, in that there doesn't seem to be any rules. He reminds me of an incompetent relief teacher on a Friday afternoon before half term.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    No, its about preventing the spread of Covid. We know that private travel as such is not the problem, its what happens once you arrive at your destination.
    It's not just about that at all.....

I give up.

Have a good trip.

We know that if I travel to Brecon by car I could be pulled over by plod and sent home. We know that service 43 does Cardiff to Brecon and if I caught that bus Id be OK.
    We also know that you shouldn't be using public transport at all unless your journey is essential, but that seems to have escaped you.

It's not just about that at all.....

I give up.

Have a good trip.

So what is it about if not halting the spread of a virus to which we have no natural immunity?

We also know that you shouldn't be using public transport at all unless your journey is essential, but that seems to have escaped you.
    Quite right. So why, now that London is starting to get up and running again do they re-introduce the London congestion charge?

Quite right. So why, now that London is starting to get up and running again do they re-introduce the London congestion charge?
    Well the increase is part of a fund for the bailout of tfl.

Not everyone will agree but I think for London the congestion charge is a good thing and with traffic increasing again see no reason for it not to be re-introduced.

So what is it about if not halting the spread of a virus to which we have no natural immunity?
    You genuinely have to ask me this? Have you been on a different planet for the last nine weeks?!?

Non-essential travel has been outlawed not only to stop the spread of the virus, but also to limit the potential strain on the emergency services. Obviously.

This is an astonishing thread. I thought you were an intelligent man, but it seems you need to have some of the very basics of the theory behind the lockdown explained to you. It's staggering.

No idea. I haven't been paying attention to what's going on in London. I'm not planning to go there any time soon.

Because London is"starting to get up and running again"

You genuinely have to ask me this? Have you been on a different planet for the last nine weeks?!?

Non-essential travel has been outlawed not only to stop the spread of the virus, but also to limit the potential strain on the emergency services. Obviously.

This is an astonishing thread. I thought you were an intelligent man, but it seems you need to have some of the very basics of the theory behind the lockdown explained to you. It's staggering.
    Im not disagreeing with you about lack of non essential travel or anything else that helps stop the spread of the virus.

The whole point of all the lockdown restrictions and the add on huge cost to the economy was to stop or at very least slow down the spread. So instead of the NHS looking after us, we were told to look after the NHS. Fine, and we have succeeded to some degree but at a huge cost to life.

Point is, I and you have been following the line as have most people...and Im not off to Brecon tomorrow, although it created some interesting debate.

Meanwhile the basics in controlling this virus and supporting the health service have been seen wanting....from lack of PPE, contact tracing, discharging people to nursing homes, lack of CPAP and ventilators, Regional Health authorities fiddling around with their own reporting g systems that didn't tie in with the Welsh system, Lack of testing facilities...and I could go on.

You are worried about a potential trip to Brecon when we are being let down big style by our lords and masters, but you don't seem to see the bigger picture.

Don't talk to me about lack of intelligence

As was always going to be the case, despite claims from some to the contrary. And in reality a good percentage of people are now no longer following either government's advice, or at least not rigorously.
    I also think that, whichever government announced the least stringent rules would be the one that most followed. If the Welsh Government said that we could all go to the beach, go to the mountains, do what we want whenever we want as long as there's some element of social distancing, while Westminster said there'll be a total lockdown, people in Wales would follow the Welsh Government advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I also think that, whichever government announced the least stringent rules would be the one that most followed. If the Welsh Government said that we could all go to the beach, go to the mountains, do what we want whenever we want as long as there's some element of social distancing, while Westminster said there'll be a total lockdown, people in Wales would follow the Welsh Government advice.
    As I mentioned earlier the various governments have hoodwinked us into getting excited when a group are turned back from Pen-Y-Fan, or similar actions that are not in line with the lockdown.
    At the same time people were dying for the need of a ventilator, doctors dying through lack of PPE. The big damage has been done, not by the public not obeying the rules, but by Governments failing to do their jobs

[QUOTE=The Lone Gunman).
    . I reckon the chances of you being pulled over by the authorities during a day trip to Brecon are slim to none. If you feel comfortable with the idea, then just go for it. .[/QUOTE]

Well youd be wrong if hed gone today.

Police are doing spot checks by Pen y Fan. Included amongst those fined people from Barry just out for a spin

Dont know if this is something they are doing each day.

Im not disagreeing with you about lack of non essential travel or anything else that helps stop the spread of the virus.

You are worried about a potential trip to Brecon when we are being let down big style by our lords and masters, but you don't seem to see the bigger picture.

Don't talk to me about lack of intelligence
    You still don't get it, do you?

The rules regarding non-essential travel were not implemented solely to stop the transmission of the virus from one place to another. They were also designed to stop people like you potentially placing an unnecessary burden on the health professionals and the emergency services as a result of traffic accidents and breakdowns. I'm absolutely amazed that you've needed that to be spelled out to you.

For the record, and as I've previously stated, I'm not in the least bit worried about your potential trip to Brecon. You can travel to Brecon, Bristol, Bromsgrove, Bradford or Broxburn as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less. I'm merely point out how mind-numbingly stupid your question is.

I know we've been let down big time by our lords and masters! The way in which Boris and his minions have handled this crisis has been a national disgrace. I'm fully aware of the bigger picture, but you didn't ask anybody for their opinions regarding the bigger picture. You asked our opinions on whether or not a jolly to Brecon to buy some meat would be permitted by the Welsh authorities. The blatantly obvious answer is no, it wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You're probably right, but I'm certain that a significant percentage of the population either won't have paid any attention to Drakeford's addresses or even be fully aware of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Well youd be wrong if hed gone today.

Police are doing spot checks by Pen y Fan. Included amongst those fined people from Barry just out for a spin.
    Ah, but was anybody going to visit a butcher? That's essential, allegedly.

Ah, but was anybody going to visit a butcher? That's essential, allegedly.

According to the Welsh Government food shopping is essential

According to the Welsh Government food shopping is essential
    That's Labour for you.

You still don't get it, do you?

The rules regarding non-essential travel were not implemented solely to stop the transmission of the virus from one place to another. They were also designed to stop people like you potentially placing an unnecessary burden on the health professionals and the emergency services as a result of traffic accidents and breakdowns. I'm absolutely amazed that you've needed that to be spelled out to you.

For the record, and as I've previously stated, I'm not in the least bit worried about your potential trip to Brecon. You can travel to Brecon, Bristol, Bromsgrove, Bradford or Broxburn as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less. I'm merely point out how mind-numbingly stupid your question is.

I know we've been let down big time by our lords and masters! The way in which Boris and his minions have handled this crisis has been a national disgrace. I'm fully aware of the bigger picture, but you didn't ask anybody for their opinions regarding the bigger picture. You asked our opinions on whether or not a jolly to Brecon to buy some meat would be permitted by the Welsh authorities. The blatantly obvious answer is no, it wouldn't.
    What Ive been trying to say is that lots of people including you seem to get their knickers in a twist about the nitty gritty of what we have been asked to do.

Yes, I too try to stay at home and I posted to suggest that on a risk assessment basis I would be better off with one visit to get 3 months supply of essential foods than frequent visits to a supermarket, where I would only purchase day to day because their offerings were not really what I wanted.

I understand now that you are aware of the bigger picture, therefore even more puzzled that you took such a myopic view of my post

You're probably right, but I'm certain that a significant percentage of the population either won't have paid any attention to Drakeford's addresses or even be fully aware of them.
    The Stay Home message from the Welsh Government is a nonsense as it was originally in England. The Keep Alert message in England is now far more sensible meaning in my interpretation that you can go anywhere as long as you are alert to the proximity of others. Lisvane Blue could happily go to Brecon for his meat if the English rule applied in Wales. I visited my local beach this morning and everyone kept away from each other crossing the road when another person was coming the other way. So even if the media say the "Alert" message is confusing the population seems to get it even though some journalists don't.

What Ive been trying to say is that lots of people including you seem to get their knickers in a twist about the nitty gritty of what we have been asked to do.

Yes, I too try to stay at home and I posted to suggest that on a risk assessment basis I would be better off with one visit to get 3 months supply of essential foods than frequent visits to a supermarket, where I would only purchase day to day because their offerings were not really what I wanted.

I understand now that you are aware of the bigger picture, therefore even more puzzled that you took such a myopic view of my post
    You'd have to go to the supermarket every day because it's not what you wanted?

This is coming across a bit first world problems now.

Yes food shopping is essential. No, travelling 40 miles because it's nicer is not essential.