Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
Surely not I thought that was all the Tories fault ?
I've noticed that, increasingly, Conservative party supporters like you (and no matter how much you try to deny that, it is how you are coming over on here) are having to resort to a "they're doing their best" defence when it comes to the virus. This follows on from weeks of answers from Ministers at briefings about how hard the Government are working on something when they're asked an awkward question - frankly, that's the very least we should expect from a Government in the situation we find ourselves in.

The irony is that at least some of these Government supporters have always jumped on the Labour was to blame for the world wide crisis which occurred in 2008 bandwagon, so, if I was to use that sort of logic, then I should be saying that the Conservative party is responsible for COVID 19. I won't do that because it is plainly a ludicrous argument, just as ludicrous as the one about the UK Government being culpable for the 2008 crash.

However, what happened in 2008 in this country may not have been quite so serious were it not for the haste and enthusiasm the Labour Government showed for the sort of financial deregulation which led to the dodgy dealings by banks that caused the problem - we were always going to take a hit, but it wouldn't have been such a big one were it not for the desire of Conservative and Labour Governments to "cut red tape" so much.

It may well be that problems in care homes turn out to be something of a common theme throughout the world when there is the chance to conduct an unbiased and forensic analysis of the subject, but, just as in 2008, it is a question of degree and all but the most sycophantic and one eyed opinion we see so far on how the Government dealt with the virus is critical of it to varying degrees - for example;-

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/ar...2%80%99-spread

While accepting that, currently, claims such as we are "top of the league" when it comes to deaths in Europe are arguable because of the different ways of collecting and interpreting such data in the countries that make up the continent, I can say though that I know of no statistical or more general analysis which concludes that the UK has dealt with the virus well - as always, I admit I'm biased against the Conservatives, but that's of little consequence here because hardly anybody is coming up with a convincing defence of the Government, hence the prevalence of the "they're doing their best" line.