+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who used to enjoy the aggro?

Re: Who used to enjoy the aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    If you were not part of it, you will never understand it now and will of course be disgusted by it all, i wouldnt worry yourselves about it, its over now, everyone can pop along to watch the game, have a jolly day out and then go home, maybe grab a skinny caramel macchitato and a raspberry and white chocolate muffin and from costa on the way to the car

you missed a hell of a time though
    It might shock you to learn that when it comes to watching football there is a middle ground between trying to kill others for supporting a different team, and skinny jeans and chocolate muffins

My thoughts on the hooliganism in the 70’s and 80’s is that it was carried out by 10% hard as **** bastards, and 90% wannabe hard as **** bastards, who thrived on safety in no’s.
    Scaring old folk and kids was a bit cowardly.
    Id have had more respect and willingness to join in in my youth, if they’d done it the east european way, where they’d meet up in a bit of country side with no fuzz or innocent folk about, and just have a good old fashioned square go.
    Running amok through city centres, scaring innocent folk shitless was never for me.

I was never anywhere near getting involved, but went to a lot of home and away late 70s/80s, and you just got used to it being part of the territory, and planned accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I have probably been to thousands of games now and never ever got involved or dragged into it, and never had any interest in doing so.
    You come close when you told them nasty kids to get out of your seat though 😁

I was invited on my first away game, when I was 13 a group of boys a year above me I played footy with found out I had a season ticket with my dad.

This was 2008. They were wana be hooligans, wore Burberry, loved racists and sexist slurs and introduced me to drinking, I had not been brought up like that, was a bit out of my depth. But absolutely loved it!

we never really had a proper 'fight' hooliganism was dying at this point in time, just bouncing around and throwing stones/ bottles.

I quickly adopted the culture, and it was my coming of age story I guess, suddenly I felt more confident in school, like people respected me more for having 'tough mates' I had all my firsts as a teenager, because of that lifestyle. beer, smoke,drugs ect

It all culminated in 2010 at Chealsea away, couple of boys we knew got in serious trouble and combined with starting to mature and the fallout, we just all went out own ways in life.

Looking back, we were idiots and wouldn't want my kids behaving like that, but I don't regret it, it was an important part of who I am today. I see groups of teenagers like that today and cant help but smile as I walk past because I feel more nostalgia than intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    My thoughts on the hooliganism in the 70’s and 80’s is that it was carried out by 10% hard as **** bastards, and 90% wannabe hard as **** bastards, who thrived on safety in no’s.
    Scaring old folk and kids was a bit cowardly.
    Id have had more respect and willingness to join in in my youth, if they’d done it the east european way, where they’d meet up in a bit of country side with no fuzz or innocent folk about, and just have a good old fashioned square go.
    Running amok through city centres, scaring innocent folk shitless was never for me.
    In the 80’s it wasn’t 10% proper nutters, I’d say it was more like 40%. I knew quite a few of them, some decided to stop going by the 90’s saying it was “over”. The bouncing posturing stuff arrived in the 00’s. Completely different times

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    In the 80’s it wasn’t 10% proper nutters, I’d say it was more like 40%. I knew quite a few of them, some decided to stop going by the 90’s saying it was “over”. The bouncing posturing stuff arrived in the 00’s. Completely different times
    I've not witnessed what I think of as hooliganism at City games for ten years or more, but I did from the mid sixties to, say, the mid to late noughties and I'd say the 10 per cent figure is about right. i accept that, as someone who preferred to steer clear of trouble, I haven't seen as much "agro" as others, but what I did see was, more often than not, more posing, goading and standing off than what I'd call fighting - did hear of a couple of cases of City fans being attacked by our "hard men" in the eighties and early nineties mind.

I have never felt the need to inflict damage on another human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have never felt the need to inflict damage on another human being.
    I suppose it depends what that person has done. I certainly have. Although i guess you're talking about Hooligan behaviour rather than generally?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Sorry but you should be ashamed. It made me ashamed to be a City fan at times and dragged our club through the mire and into the gutter. The people who were involved in it had no thought for the well being of the club or the remainder of the fans, who just wanted to watch a game of football. I saw innocent women, children and old people trampled upon and beaten up, just because a group of morons wanted to massage their own egos and make themselves look big in front of their ‘mates’. Most of them weren't even interested in the football or Cardiff City. Good riddance to those days.

Excellent post and absolutely spot on.

I remember a 12 year old girl who was a Bristol Rovers fan being hit with a brick at Eastville. A police officer who contracted meningitis after being spat at in Torquay.
    Numerous occasions of single fans being targeted by a large group of hooligans.
    Mindless cases of damaging trains, buses, pubs etc.

Most of these cases were perpetrated by cowards who hunted in packs.

Don't even get me started on casual's, most were middle class w@nkers who couldn't throw a punch. A lot of them were fantasists.

Culture my ass. The biggest bunch of gobshites you'd ever see was on a Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I remember a 12 year old girl who was a Bristol Rovers fan being hit with a brick at Eastville. A police officer who contracted meningitis after being spat at in Torquay.

Don't even get me started on casual's, most were middle class w@nkers who couldn't throw a punch. A lot of them were fantasists.

Culture my ass. The biggest bunch of gobshites you'd ever see was on a Saturday afternoon.
    but did you enjoy the aggro or not ? ? ?

They were definitely not mostly 'middle class'. Don't believe the media hype that they were solicitors; stockbrokers; teachers etc. Yeah, perhaps a very small minority were, however, they were predominantly from working class backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    They were definitely not mostly 'middle class'. Don't believe the media hype that they were solicitors; stockbrokers; teachers etc. Yeah, perhaps a very small minority were, however, they were predominantly from working class backgrounds.
    No no, they were all middle class gentlemen residing mainly from areas like grangetown, the docks, Ely, Llanrumney, fairwater to name a few. There’s little point trying to explain to those who have only read about it like Louth

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Correct. Middle class be ****ed.

The buzz (?) at away games in the 90s was great. Not read every message but from earlier days with my dad I always liked “If you like a lot of aggro at your football join our club”.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No no, they were all middle class gentlemen residing mainly from areas like grangetown, the docks, Ely, Llanrumney, fairwater to name a few. There’s little point trying to explain to those who have only read about it like Louth
    Most were kids. Very few actually got involved. Unless there was a dozen with them.

Most were kids. Very few actually got involved. Unless there was a dozen with them.
    Middle class kids from Pontcanna and Radyr were they? LOL

Docks were number one

They certainly wernt from cyncoed

Docks, Ely, Llanrumney, Grangetown.etc

Outside of Cardiff you had lunatics from Barry, Bridgend, Neath, Caerphilly from all over the valleys Rhondda, Merthyr.etc

Middle class kids they were not.

When Aberdeen played Barry in Europe in the mid 90s some poor fella from Scotland got smashed in the head with a hammer I recall.

Thankfully those days are long gone but to claim it was all a bunch of middle class kids is most absurd.

I do pity guys in their 40s/50s even 60s still clinging onto those times though. It all looks rather pathetic now. Still arguing over who done who in 1986 and still wearing bright sportswear. There’s a fella goes to watch Merthyr he’s about 50 and he still wears a dear stalker ffs with bright ellesse tracksuit top and orange trainers He looks like Timmy Mallet on acid. Like comedy mods still with that ridiculous haircut in their 50s.

Just grow old gracefully you *****.

At the end of the day it’s a YOUTH sub culture, let the kids get on with it. Its a right of passage acting a dick at the football. Most grow out of it.

Were they? Knew them did you?

I really hope this thread is being read by "the other site".

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Docks were number one

They certainly wernt from cyncoed
    They were but there were also plenty from other areas who would do battle with them in town on nights out. The docks lot were different, they didn’t pick on just anyone or small numbers as the clueless say on this thread, in fact I’d say they’d enjoy being outnumbered and going for it anyway. I’ve seen them chase off groups with twice the numbers on plenty of occasions.
    JR is right about areas outside if cardiff too, Barry in particular seemed to have loads of nutters in the 80’s and some really rough pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I do pity guys in their 40s/50s even 60s still clinging onto those times though. It all looks rather pathetic now. Still arguing over who done who in 1986 and still wearing bright sportswear. There’s a fella goes to watch Merthyr he’s about 50 and he still wears a dear stalker ffs with bright ellesse tracksuit top and orange trainers He looks like Timmy Mallet on acid. Like comedy mods still with that ridiculous haircut in their 50s.

Just grow old gracefully you *****.

At the end of the day it’s a YOUTH sub culture, let the kids get on with it. Its a right of passage acting a dick at the football. Most grow out of it.
    Exactly, kids youths will always be up to something, although being mid 40’s I honestly cannot tell you what the latest craze is.
    Remember looking at that now famous footage of Chelsea and us in kings rd in 2010 was it, some if the Chelsea lot looked all in there 50’s...ffs...what a bunch of cnuts at that age. Deserved to go to jail just for not evolving in life.