+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assorted Football Quiz Questions 13

Re: Assorted Football Quiz Questions 13

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I knew Ford played for a non league side early in his career, so I've just looked him up on Wikipedia and found out it was Devizes Town - I clicked on the link and it says that in 1965 their current ground was opened by their former player and England World Cup winner Roger Hunt! What a great quiz question for you Enoch - trouble is, I don't believe it, it's got to be a football equivalent of fake news hasn't it?
    He played for Devizes Town when doing National Service so its true - hurry up and answer question 15

I reckon Aaron Ramsey played for some ream in Caerphilly who play at the Old Spottrd Dog before he signed for our Academy .

15 is Peter Grotier. The ground was Clapton FCs but other teams played their reserve games there including West Ham. Could have been Clive Charles as he had a loan spell then signed permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I reckon Aaron Ramsey played for some ream in Caerphilly who play at the Old Spottrd Dog before he signed for our Academy .

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    6. Etien Velikonja
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The great man himself
    Now we're talking.

10. Aden Flint too?

15. Danny Gabbidon

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    15 is Peter Grotier. The ground was Clapton FCs but other teams played their reserve games there including West Ham. Could have been Clive Charles as he had a loan spell then signed permanently.
    Peter Grotier is the answer I have on the card - well done

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    15. Danny Gabbidon

Incorrect - cardiff55 has cracked it

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Now we're talking.

10. Aden Flint too?
    Thought you would appreciate the reference to our Slovenian maestro

Flint is correct too

All the questions have now been answered - well done to everybody who had a go

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    He played for Devizes Town when doing National Service so its true - hurry up and answer question 15
    You would have been in for a very long wait if you were relying on me to answer number 15 - great question that.

Amazed by the Roger Hunt/Devizes connection.

Here is a summary of the answers to the quiz, well done to everyone who had a go……..

1. In 1950 which future Cardiff City player was transferred for a British record fee ?

Trevor Ford, £30,000 Villa to Sunderland 1950. He scored 61 goals for us in 109 games. Before my time but, growing up in Whitchurch, I do remember him as the owner of the garage on the corner of Manor Way opposite the Masons Arms. The garage is now a Tesco shop and petrol station.

2. In 2002 at Sunderland he shot a team-mate in the eye with an air gun, in 2004 whilst on loan at Leeds he was arrested by police and later send back to his club after misbehaviour at their Christmas Party and, if CCMB posters were to believed, he was usually the identity of mystery players linked to us during transfer windows. Who is he ?

John Oster. I’d forgotten that he was trouble until i read his Wiki page. Always jokingly linked, on this board, to the City whenever transfer rumours were flying around.

3. Which Bluebird played in Donald Bradman’s final Test Match ?

Allan Watkins of Glamorgan played 15 tests for England and played in Bradman’s last test at the Oval when he was, famously, bowled second ball by Eric Hollies. Bradman only needed to score 4 to average 100 in tests. Allan Watkins was signed in the 1948/49 season by Cyril Spiers from Plymouth Argyle. Quite why we signed him I don’t know as Plymouth records showed him as having already retired through injury with them. Records appear to show that he actually didn’t play for us due to cartilage problems finishing to concentrate in cricket.

4. Which member of the City’s current first team squad previously played for The Tanners ?

In 2008, whilst with Fulham Neil Etheridge was sent out on loan to Leatherhead - The Tanners

5. He played 6 games for us on loan from Burnley in the 1990s and was nicknamed “Bertie Bassett” - who is he ?

Whilst with Everton utility player Alan Harper was given the nickname “Bertie Bassett” because he could play in “Allsorts” of positions. Laugh, I thought I’d never start !

6. Alien Jive Token

Etien Velikonja - yes, the Slovenian Maestro himself.

7. Who were the City’s opponents in a game known as the “Festival of Britain Match” ?

In 1951 a number of games were organised to celebrate the Festival of Britain and on 9 May the City drew 2-2 in front of a paltry 3000 against PSV Eindhoven with goals from Mike Tiddy and Wilf Grant. Quite why the game didn’t capture the public imagination I don’t know. 3 days later the City won 6-1 against the mighty Jersey Saturday League XI which attracted 8000 spectators.

8. What is the link between the 2010 Championship Play Off Final and an African Internet Country Code top-level domain ?

Starting the 2010 Championship play off final for Blackpool was Dudley Junior Campbell known universally in print and verbally as DJ Campbell. DJ is also the Internet Country Code top-level domain for Djibouti.

9. Bruce Rioch’s nephew played 1 game for us on loan from in 1989 - who is he ?

Matty Holmes made one appearance as a sub against Aldershot in March 1989. Apart from having a famous uncle the other high profile publicity accorded to him was when he was awarded £250,000 damages in the High Court as a result of a tackle by Wolves defender Kevin Muscat which was so bad that amputation was considered.

10. Which member of the City’s current first team squad was purchased from a team that has won the FA Amateur Cup ?

I must admit that when setting this question I had Aden Flint in mind who we signed from Middlesbrough. Cardiff55, who was more diligent in his research on this one, correctly pointed out that Ciaron Brown came to us from Wealdstone, a team most people would associate with the FA Amateur Cup rather than ‘Boro.

11. He was a failed product of the Cardiff City youth system, he made his first team debut for a Spanish Club, then a team he was playing for was relegated by the famous goal by Carlisle ‘keeper Jimmy Glass and he was a managerial casualty in 2019 - who is he ?

Nathan Jones. After not making the grade with us he eventually ended up with Merthyr from whom he joined Luton Town. He didn’t play for Luton, according to Wiki, because he was homesick. So, did he go home to resolve his homesickness problems ? No, he went to play for Badajoz in Spain. I know Luton has a reputation as being a fairly grim place but if you resolve your homesickness problems by leaving it to be even further away from home shows how desperate it must be. He was playing on loan at Scarborough when the famous Jimmy Glass goal saved Carlisle and relegated them instead. As we all know Nathan overcame his aversion to Luton by managing them for 3 years before taking the Stoke job which did not go well for him.

12. Who was the first City player to score under the NInian Park floodlights ?

On 5 October 1961 the City drew 2-2 with Zurich Grasshoppers in a match to celebrate the opening of the new Ninian Park floodlights. However, the floodlights were first deployed on Wednesday 24 August 1960 against Sheffield Wednesday and in use for some time before the official opening. Shamefully, we were one of the last league teams to install floodlights so I assume we couldn’t wait. A good crowd of 31,335 turned out for the occasion to see us lose 1-0. The next midweek home game was against Villa on 7 September when Derek Tapscott scored in a 1-1 draw.

13. Which member of the 2017/18 promotion squad had previously won back to back FAI Cup winners medals ?

In 2018 US born keeper Chris Konopka signed a short-term deal with us until the end if the season. He didn’t play but he counts amongst his achievements back to back FAI Cup Winners medals for Bohemians and Sporting Fingal.

14. Which Cardiff City player shares a name with a Hollywood actor who was nominated for an Oscar playing opposite Marilyn Monroe ?

In 1956, Don Murray, the legendary Cardiff City centre half, played the male lead in the film Bus Stop opposite Marilyn Monroe earning himself an Oscar nomination in the process. However, Don did not let the roar of the grease paint and the smell of the crowd go to his head and he beat a hasty retreat to Boghead Thistle to prepare for two greater career achievements - a long and successful career at Cardiff City and missing that penalty against Dynamo Berlin.

15. Before having two spells with Cardiff City he started his career with a club that played at the Old Spotted Dog Ground - who is he ?

When I stumbled across the magnificently named football venue the “Old Spotted Dog Ground” I prayed that there would be a Cardiff City connection so that I could base a question around it. Until 2019 it was the home of Clapton FC and, my prayers were answered when I saw that it counted amongst its esteemed former players Peter Grotier who has a loan spell with us in 1973 and signed a 3 year contract in 1979.