+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best individual performance for Cardiff City?

Best individual performance for Cardiff City?

There's a discussion on the BBC website talking about best individual performances in a game in the Premier League.

What would have been Cardiff City's best individual performances? I can remember Chopra scoring a hat trick against Leicester and he was unplayable that afternoon. I seem to recall Craig Noone having a blinder at the Etihad, scoring a brilliant goal. I can also remember Kevin McNaughton having to drop into centre back against someone when we went down to 10 men and was heading and clearing everything, or was that Paul Quinn?

Anyway, over to you.

Re: Best individual performance for Cardiff City?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There's a discussion on the BBC website talking about best individual performances in a game in the Premier League.

What would have been Cardiff City's best individual performances? I can remember Chopra scoring a hat trick against Leicester and he was unplayable that afternoon. I seem to recall Craig Noone having a blinder at the Etihad, scoring a brilliant goal. I can also remember Kevin McNaughton having to drop into centre back against someone when we went down to 10 men and was heading and clearing everything, or was that Paul Quinn?

Anyway, over to you.
    David Marshall multiple games in our promotion season under Malky. If i could pick one Watford away.

Robert Earnshaw hat trick against a bristol rovers side who were a division above at the time, must have been about 2000

Gavin Gordon's 5 goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Robert Earnshaw hat trick against a bristol rovers side who were a division above at the time, must have been about 2000
    Wasn't that the FA cup tie on Sky when we thrashed them 5-1? Thinking back, the season before Bristol Rovers were challenging for automatic promotion to the second tier. They just missed out late on and even missed out on the playoffs when they lost to us on the last day of the season. Within a season, we'd won promotion and they'd been relegated.

The best individual performance I have seen in a City shirt is Greg Farrell's in the 5-3 relegation saving game against Middlesbrough in 1966. He was absolutely untouchable. Not seen the like of it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The best individual performance I have seen in a City shirt is Greg Farrell's in the 5-3 relegation saving game against Middlesbrough in 1966. He was absolutely untouchable. Not seen the like of it since.
    Agreed even though that was a once in a life performance. If he played like that regularly he would have been lauded along the likes of Messi and Maradona. The MIddlesborough fullback didn't know where to turn. Not seen a performance like that in 60 years of following the City.

Tony Evans 4 at Bristol Rovers 1976/77 League Cup
    Toshack hat trick v QPR 69/70 and Hull 70/71.

Various goalkeeping performances by David Marshall in 12/13 and 13/14 and by Neil Etheridge in 17/18 and 18/19

Bill irwin's performance at Halifax in January 1976 in a 1-1 draw, he was outstanding. In the same season, a bit later Tom McAllister played in goal for Rotherham at Ninian Park and gave probably the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen, pushing Iriwn in to second place. Also Bill irwin v Leeds in 1972 when he won BBC Save of the Season.

Bellamy's debut.

Aaron Ramsay and Peter Whittingham were just a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Tony Evans 4 at Bristol Rovers 1976/77 League Cup
    Toshack hat trick v QPR 69/70 and Hull 70/71.

Various goalkeeping performances by David Marshall in 12/13 and 13/14 and by Neil Etheridge in 17/18 and 18/19

Bill irwin's performance at Halifax in January 1976 in a 1-1 draw, he was outstanding. In the same season, a bit later Tom McAllister played in goal for Rotherham at Ninian Park and gave probably the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen, pushing Iriwn in to second place. Also Bill irwin v Leeds in 1972 when he won BBC Save of the Season.

Bellamy's debut.

Aaron Ramsay and Peter Whittingham were just a joy to watch.
    McAllister was amazing for Rotherham that day and I can remember Willie Anderson destroying one Exeter full back and then the doing the same to the one they brought on to replace him in a hugely entertaining FA Cup game which was also in 75/76.

I was at the Farrell match, but was only ten at the time and so I don't really remember a lot about it now.

I can remember fantastic performances by David Marshall in home 0-0 draws with Villa and Bristol City.

I agree with Eric about Michael Chopra's hat trick against Leicester - don't think I've ever seen a better one in terms of the quality of the goals, but I think a limping Alan Warboys scoring four in the first half in a top of the Second Division clash with Carlisle back in 1971 probably tops it in terms of a one man performance.

For some reason, I missed that game but heard all about it from my dad, who echoed your comments. Greg was a big favourite of mine at the time, especially when we had the ineffective Bernard Lewis on the other wing (I think !)

In a different way Toshack was unplayable too and for memory no Division 2 centre half could handle him in the air. It took a game against Arsenal in the FA Cup against Ian Ure to show how his aerial threat could be nullified. But of course he improved immensely after his move to Liverpool.

International

I was behind the goal in the Grange end for that match but I didn't remember it was Boro we were playing. I don't think I cared at the end of the game!!

First Team

Earnie away at QPR about 10 years ago now.
    Scored almost at will and was generally unplayable. He really looked a class apart that day.

I remember being in awe of Mutch and Bothroyd in a few games

Some of David Marshall's performances in the Premier league were outstanding.

Chops' hat-trick v Leicester was a thing of beauty.

There was one game in Koumas' first spell where he was on a different planet.

The Leeds game where Bamba played in front of the defence in a dominant performance - and Leeds fans had a collective melt down!

Any number of Marshall performances in the Premier League.

Bamba had some immense performances during the Promotion year, At times he dragged the team to victory. The only problem with it was that Bamba is an instinctive defender, he takes risks, stepped in front of the striker and used his agility to make those desperate tackles. Put him in a situation where he had time to think, he struggled. Tony Vidmar and Ricky Scimeca were very composed, and as unfashionable as this may sound, Craig Bryson knew his job and performed it fantastically in my opinion. I really like Pro's who know their positives and play to them and give the other stuff a wide berth, shows intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Earnie away at QPR about 10 years ago now.
    Scored almost at will and was generally unplayable. He really looked a class apart that day.
    Was that the 4-0 win? That was November 2002!

I recall John Hardy summarising the game at the end for Radio Wales. He described us as Champions elect and untouchable on that second half performance which saw us go top.

We then lost 3 of the next 7 in the league and 5 of the next 11 in all competitions. The untouchable champions elect scraped into the playoffs thanks to a late equaliser on the last day of the season.

The one thing that always seems to spring to my mind was Chopra in the play off final,maybe there’s been better performances but he scored one and hit both post and bar while working his socks off in sweltering heat.Every other player were either crumbling or just not up to it while Chops give all.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    The one thing that always seems to spring to my mind was Chopra in the play off final,maybe there’s been better performances but he scored one and hit both post and bar while working his socks off in sweltering heat.Every other player were either crumbling or just not up to it while Chops give all.
    Good shout. Second half especially he did everything to try and get us level.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Chops' hat-trick v Leicester was a thing of beauty.

Good heavens above. Three crackers. Chops still remains my favourite ever City player.

Same sort of performances as other have mentioned stand out
    Chops 3 goals especially probably more for the quality of the goals same with earnies QPR or when he scored 4 v Gillingham
    I didn't go to the game but the season Koumas was good. Was the Luton game away were apparently he ran the show 2nd half.

Marshall was incredible while was here especially for 2 seasons, we won games didn't deserve to because of him.

This ends the thread, nothing in my 58 years to touch it!!

Any game Willie Anderson had the ball

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This ends the thread, nothing in my 58 years to touch it!!
    I posted exactly the same...not sure where the post went.....as you say .....no contest..this was simply THE outstanding performance in my time watching City.