+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barry Island Bank Holidays in 80's

Re: Barry Island Bank Holidays in 80's

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I distinctly remember train loads of mods descending off the from Barry Island train , all crombied up with red handkerchiefs visible in top pocket , ox blood boots or loafers
    The red hankerchief was the pocket lining pulled out to look like one

August bank holiday 1983 was a bit lairy I recall

on the one side we had the skins and punks the other Mods and scooter boys/ girls just outside the fun fair think they were called the Cardiff Cougers if my memory serves me correct . Police running all over the place to keep apart . remember it well as my mates car took a kicking who i was with

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    August bank holiday 1983 was a bit lairy I recall

on the one side we had the skins and punks the other Mods and scooter boys/ girls just outside the fun fair think they were called the Cardiff Cougers if my memory serves me correct . Police running all over the place to keep apart . remember it well as my mates car took a kicking who i was with
    Not the Mini?

International

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Not the Mini?
    The blue one?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The blue one?
    Can't remember the colour, but Mozzers old avatar was a picture of him and an old Mini. I have a blue one though.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I was only about 12-14 and remember it always kicking off down there with hundreds of Mods/skinheads? I'm not sure I was to young but I seem to recall it was always Pre planned event for a ruck. Was it Barry Island or Porthcawl? Im sure this happened?
    I remember the Radio One roadshow with Smiley Miley and Wack Wack Oops DLT - Bits and Pieces with some thicko and special guests are per effin usual Bad Manners. then trying my hardest to get off with Cardiff girls and failing badly

Mod revival kind of died in 82 when the Jam and Secret Affair split

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I remember the Radio One roadshow with Smiley Miley and Wack Wack Oops DLT - Bits and Pieces with some thicko and special guests are per effin usual Bad Manners. then trying my hardest to get off with Cardiff girls and failing badly

Mod revival kind of died in 82 when the Jam and Secret Affair split
    Squire, Purple Hearts, beggar were still going I think....Mods mayday 79 is one of my fave albums of all time

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Can't remember the colour, but Mozzers old avatar was a picture of him and an old Mini. I have a blue one though.
    you have a good memory caveman yes that old yellow mini got a bit of abuse that day

that short MOD revival back in 79 to 83 did bring some good music fair play

my fav from that short lived revival

my world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiClYIr6-sA

It kicked off in all the seaside towns but they say places like Brighton were warzones back in the old days

a tune that was played on a regular basis at ninian park by ali at that time

time for action ...great times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCOwnMEVvE

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a tune that was played on a regular basis at ninian park by ali at that time

time for action ...great times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCOwnMEVvE
    Saw them in the Top Rank. They were surprisingly good. That first album was good too.

a great time to be alive and be a teenager NYC

punk / skin / 2 tone / new wave /mod / rockabilly revivals etc

1983 was the end of it which of course gave us the smiths and bunnymen for the rest of the 80's to laud over

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It kicked off in all the seaside towns but they say places like Brighton were warzones back in the old days
    When I lived in the N East of England there were 10 pubs and clubs within easy walking distance of my house.
    You could guarantee that on any Bank holiday of the year there would be a fight in every single one of them before 6 PM.
    That include Good Friday and Boxing day (appropriate name really lol)
    It simply wasn't safe to go out on those days, literally.