+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Island Bank Holidays in 80's

Barry Island Bank Holidays in 80's

I was only about 12-14 and remember it always kicking off down there with hundreds of Mods/skinheads? I'm not sure I was to young but I seem to recall it was always Pre planned event for a ruck. Was it Barry Island or Porthcawl? Im sure this happened?

Re: Barry Island Bank Holidays in 80's

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I was only about 12-14 and remember it always kicking off down there with hundreds of Mods/skinheads? I'm not sure I was to young but I seem to recall it was always Pre planned event for a ruck. Was it Barry Island or Porthcawl? Im sure this happened?
    Porthcawl was the big one out this way , scrapping on Coney beach

I was too busy dangling my rod off the pier

International

Are you sure your mind's not playing tricks on you.
    I think you're about 20 years out!!

I think every teenager / youth from Barry worked on the Island at some time in their life.
    I did Butlins, the Fairground (the Log Flume) and various arcades.
    I really don’t recall skins/mods battling away on the island, but it was always pretty lively in the evenings…. The Friars, the Pelican, the Bier Keller

…… but I do remember the London Road Rats MC turning up one Bank Holiday and mayhem breaking out that night.

Ok, anyone put a name to this bar on the Island?

...... as you exited the train station, it was on your right, you didn't need to cross any road, perhaps just 60 metres or so from the station entrance.
    Small bar, with a pool table I recall. I only went in there the one time, but often wondered about its opening hours - was it only open during the summer period and what kind of trade did it do?
    I couldn't imagine it being open in the winter, of course I might be wrong on that.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Ok, anyone put a name to this bar on the Island?

...... as you exited the train station, it was on your right, you didn't need to cross any road, perhaps just 60 metres or so from the station entrance.
    Small bar, with a pool table I recall. I only went in there the one time, but often wondered about its opening hours - was it only open during the summer period and what kind of trade did it do?
    I couldn't imagine it being open in the winter, of course I might be wrong on that.
    Not sure how long ago you're talking about, but It's Finnegan's Inn now. It was The Acropolis for as long as I can remember. It was a bar/nightclub and they also had the chippy next door (but they knocked through to extend the bar after changing owners). They opened the Quasar upstairs in the 90s too.

It's open throughout the year now (as it was back in the day) as a restaurant/bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Not sure how long ago you're talking about, but It's Finnegan's Inn now. It was The Acropolis for as long as I can remember. It was a bar/nightclub and they also had the chippy next door (but they knocked through to extend the bar after changing owners). They opened the Quasar upstairs in the 90s too.

It's open throughout the year now (as it was back in the day) as a restaurant/bar.
    I'm not even sure myself as to when it was, probably in the mid-90's. Nightclub as well, eh! Why is it that in my mind's-eye, I picture the place as being very small?

Bank holiday was always lively early 80s in Barry Island.
    I used to see hundreds of skinheads there every bank holiday along with gangs of punks i never saw many mods.
    I remember a load of bikers turning up at a pub near the seafront and it kicking off i think some of the bikers got stabbed or beaten up as i remember a few ambulance and lot's of police turning up.

As for Porthcawl my family always stayed on trecco during the miners fortnight early 80s. It was popular to gang up with other young skins, punks and trendies as we called them and fight the fair boys who were a tougher older bunch than us.
    I also remember joining up with Merthyr , Rhondda and Aberdare boys and fighting a biggish gang of Newport boys outside jolly jesters in Trecco..

The main Mods and Rockers era was in the 1960's. I recall Porthcawl being a place where rivals clashed but never Barry. The 1980's much too recent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    I think every teenager / youth from Barry worked on the Island at some time in their life.
    I did Butlins, the Fairground (the Log Flume) and various arcades..
    I did the luggage trolleys at Butlins and then worked as a drinks waiter in the Pig & Whistle. On the fair I worked on the Helter Skelter, the People Mover and the Dodgems. My main memory of the fair is having to occasionally work on the bins.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I did the luggage trolleys at Butlins and then worked as a drinks waiter in the Pig & Whistle. On the fair I worked on the Helter Skelter, the People Mover and the Dodgems. My main memory of the fair is having to occasionally work on the bins.
    Then our paths must certainly have crossed.
    I was the stage manager of the Pig & Whistle for about 3 summer seasons.
    Taffy Apple were the resident group when I did my stint.

First Team

I did one summer as an 18 year old at Porthcawl. Hard work for rubbish money as mostly clearing up the rubbish and looking for parents whose kids had wandered off. They were normally in the bar! No idea about the original query although I do remember the Echo used to run scare stories about bank holiday bedlam in the late 70’s but aside from one incident I think the only issue was rubbish weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I did one summer as an 18 year old at Porthcawl. Hard work for rubbish money as mostly clearing up the rubbish and looking for parents whose kids had wandered off. They were normally in the bar! No idea about the original query although I do remember the Echo used to run scare stories about bank holiday bedlam in the late 70’s but aside from one incident I think the only issue was rubbish weather..
    Add, part cooked chips, stale sandwiches and cakes, cold tea/coffee, warm beer and you’d just about be there

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Porthcawl was the big one out this way , scrapping on Coney beach

I was too busy dangling my rod off the pier
    And you’re still trying to dangle your rod - with less success, my friend. 😜

I remember going down the Island with my mates probably 1985 on a bank holiday.
    We could get a 353 bus from the top of Ely.
    We were all dressed as trendies pringle fila etc when we got off the bus we were accosted by a group of skinheads who were a bit older than us they talked to us and said we were OK it was the Mods they were after.
    We walked over to the front and there was a good 50 or 60 scooters parked up. There was also a certain message board owner with about 30 of Cardiffs finest with him.
    It all went off the mods did a runner leaving their scooters they ran around the headland to the bay by the causeway.
    The fun over they turned their attention to a man with his Mrs on the beach wearing a jack top.
    I'm not the message board owners biggest fan but he intervened and stopped the bullying.

I distinctly remember train loads of mods descending off the from Barry Island train , all crombied up with red
    handkerchiefs visible in top pocket , ox blood boots or loafers

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember going down the Island with my mates probably 1985 on a bank holiday.
    We could get a 353 bus from the top of Ely.
    We were all dressed as trendies pringle fila etc when we got off the bus we were accosted by a group of skinheads who were a bit older than us they talked to us and said we were OK it was the Mods they were after.
    We walked over to the front and there was a good 50 or 60 scooters parked up. There was also a certain message board owner with about 30 of Cardiffs finest with him.
    It all went off the mods did a runner leaving their scooters they ran around the headland to the bay by the causeway.
    The fun over they turned their attention to a man with his Mrs on the beach wearing a jack top.
    I'm not the message board owners biggest fan but he intervened and stopped the bullying.
    Please don't mention the forum owner or there will be a thread and book out about it

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I distinctly remember train loads of mods descending off the from Barry Island train , all crombied up with red
    Crombies and ox-blood boots was the attire of skinheads, not mods.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Crombies and ox-blood boots was the attire of skinheads, not mods.
    Correct

Most MODS (not Mike’s type), were married and living in suburbia by the 80’s

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Correct

Most MODS (not Mike’s type), were married and living in suburbia by the 80’s
    There was a renaissance in the late 70's/early 80's of the mod style, of which I was a part of. ;o)

There was a renaissance in the late 70's/early 80's of the mod style, of which I was a part of. ;o)

Where did you get your “mohair suits” made ????

Most good tailors had shut by then, but Goodfellow & French, May still have been trading. Best tailor in town

Me too, I’d say it continued until the mid 80’s. Mods were always young it seemed though, hanging out in littlewoods cafe average age must have been 16. I was about 13. Had run ins with skins too used to chase us around the place. All part of the fun going into town back then. It was like the warriors on a very small scale....

In the original Mods /Rockers era the Mods had motor scooters and wore Parkas and the Rockers rode motor bikes and wore leather jackets. I forgot about the later Mods who wore smart suits and cut their hair short but I can't imagine those guys wanting to fight as any kind of scuffle would put their hair out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    In the original Mods /Rockers era the Mods had motor scooters and wore Parkas and the Rockers rode motor bikes and wore leather jackets. I forgot about the later Mods who wore smart suits and cut their hair short but I can't imagine those guys wanting to fight as any kind of scuffle would put their hair out of place.

You forgot the Paul Weller “hairstyle”

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You forgot the Paul Weller “hairstyle”
    Jam shoes or bowling shoes