+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That's not her leaping to his defence at all. She's merely reporting what the slimy Tories are saying in their attempt to wriggle out of it.

I just don't get the castigation of journalists like her for doing their job. It's pathetic.
    She's directly replying to another journalist's scoop with an unnamed, unreferenced source which serves the purpose of questioning the validity of the story on behalf of the subject. That's not normal journalistic behaviour, and she's right to be criticized for it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes your wrong. Read the 1st sentence.
    I just re-read it. I cannot see any reference in it to where she was.
    the first paragraph reads:
    "I had thought that actually getting the coronavirus would bring clarity — that there would be some satisfaction in meeting the enemy, feeling its spectral hands around my lungs. No such luck. Uncertainty is the hallmark of COVID-19. Even its origins are murky: wet markets or the Wuhan Center for Disease Control? Who knows, and who would ever believe the Chinese government anyway? When you’ve got it, the sense of medieval unknowing only deepens. Is this definitely it? Will it get worse? Will it come back?"

As I said his actions are at least questionable where ever his wife was, but I cannot see any reference in that article of her not being in Durham, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    She's directly replying to another journalist's scoop with an unnamed, unreferenced source which serves the purpose of questioning the validity of the story on behalf of the subject. That's not normal journalistic behaviour, and she's right to be criticized for it.
    She's a senior political journalist. It's her job to build relationships with people government and in opposition, and to report what they are doing, saying and thinking.

The criticism of Kuenessberg makes me laugh. Every Labour supporter I know thinks she's heavily biased in favour of the Tories, while everyone I know who opposes Labour thinks she's a screaming leftie. It's ridiculous. It seems that opinions of her journalism are determined solely by which side of political spectrum you're on rather than what she actually writes or reports.

International

She's a senior political journalist. It's her job to build relationships with people government and in opposition, and to report what they are doing, saying and thinking.

The criticism of Kuenessberg makes me laugh. Every Labour supporter I know thinks she's heavily biased in favour of the Tories, while everyone I know who opposes Labour thinks she's a screaming leftie. It's ridiculous. It seems that opinions of her journalism are determined solely by which side of political spectrum you're on rather than what she actually writes or reports.
    Does that shit from both sides mean she actually might be doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    The BBC account of Cummings' actions, as quoted, just confuses matters. If I've understood this right, Cummings and Mrs C drive 260 miles London to Durham, stayed in a non relatives house on the off chance that they might be needed to free up relatives to look after children but his sister did the shopping and dropped it off so Mr and Mrs C weren't required to do anything so they drove back to London without having seen relatives or done the shopping but did stay up in Durham and Gove says that was "essential" and therefore OK. I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913
    I thought the whole idea behind “Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives’ was that it was 100% clear and not subject to interpretation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    We are all in this together.
    Crazy, it's not as if people need any excuses to not follow the guidelines (which were already becoming a mockery).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Has he got a job ?

I am a labour voter and I think hes dreadful
    Kinnock is awful.

International

And what about the allotment?

I think the move to open Garden Centres was only made because of the allotment, and then back-dated like eating chips on park benches.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I just re-read it. I cannot see any reference in it to where she was.
    the first paragraph reads:
    "I had thought that actually getting the coronavirus would bring clarity — that there would be some satisfaction in meeting the enemy, feeling its spectral hands around my lungs. No such luck. Uncertainty is the hallmark of COVID-19. Even its origins are murky: wet markets or the Wuhan Center for Disease Control? Who knows, and who would ever believe the Chinese government anyway? When you’ve got it, the sense of medieval unknowing only deepens. Is this definitely it? Will it get worse? Will it come back?"

As I said his actions are at least questionable where ever his wife was, but I cannot see any reference in that article of her not being in Durham, that's all.
    'from London to Durham with his sick wife'

I think we are talking about different articles.

Banned

Does that shit from both sides mean she actually might be doing it right?
    I am completely apolitical in the way I vote. I can even break it down by election.

97 Labour (Blair)
    01 Lib Dem
    05 Plaid
    10 Lab (Brown)
    15 Plaid
    17 Lib Dem
    19 Plaid

All this in a safe Labour seat.

Saying Kuenssberg is biased is giving her too much credit. She is completely hopeless. She tweeted about Johnson "cancelling a speech on police advice". She didn't elaborate. Basically, there were 4 protesters there! That's why he cancelled.

Also, during the election, she made a comment about Tory policy being a shopping list of promises, compared to Labour's fantasy list. She isn't employed to pass on her opinions, she is employed to report, to question, to hold politicians to account. It is ludicrous that Johnson was more fearful of the right-wing Neil than the political correspondent Kuenssberg. She is awful, and I say that from the position of having no party affiliations, but as someone who watches her reports to get information, but getting very little other than photos of Johnson walking in the park.

spokesperson for Durham Constabulary said: "On Tuesday, March 31, our officers were made aware of reports that an individual had travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city."

5 April - Cummings is spotted outside his parents’ property by a neighbour.
    He was there for nearly a week..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    He’ll wriggle for a fortnight, but the pressure will build up and he will go over this.
    I say "no chance". He should have gone for the comments attributed to him on herd immunity. He didn't. In fact, it's rarely mentioned.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the article read to me as that Mrs Cummings and son were already in Durham and he drove there to be with them. She says, 'would have to come home' like my Mrs used to say 'when are you coming home' when I worked away.
    He drove to Durham to care for her I understood, which most men would tend to do for their wife.
    Whether that was right or wrong is another matter.
    So in this version, first Cummings' wife who had Covid drove their son, who did not to stay with Cummings' parents in Durham then as soon as Cummings discovered that he had the symptoms instead of isolating in London he drove to Durham so that they could all be together.

That sounds much better.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    'from London to Durham with his sick wife'
    It doesn't say that. The article is written in the first person and makes no reference to her travelling anywhere

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    So in this version, first Cummings' wife who had Covid drove their son, who did not to stay with Cummings' parents in Durham then as soon as Cummings discovered that he had the symptoms instead of isolating in London he drove to Durham so that they could all be together.

That sounds much better.
    I'm sorry, you lost me completely there. Where does it say she drove anywhere? In my post i didn't seek to defend anyone or anything, i merely commented on what was in the article.

I'm sorry, you lost me completely there. Where does it say she drove anywhere? In my post i didn't seek to defend anyone or anything, i merely commented on what was in the article.
    I guess she must have teleported to Durham. The Spectator piece is written as a post-event justification of their actions. The only place mentioned is London and the only people involved in their recovery were themselves. Still if you want to believe that she was already in Durham that is your right.

It's actually based on the fact she is a well known tory sympathiser

It's an open secret

She gets a huge amount of criticism, not all of it fair I agree, and some of it is clearly derived from misogyny. But a lot of it is also fair, and she deserves to be called out for stuff like this.

The source she mentions was undoubtedly someone in Government, (let's be honest, probably Cummings himself) so instead if issuing a comment on the story their first act was to feed her a line which she then parrotted in direct reply to the initial story. She's the BBC's political editor, her job is not to directly rebut another journalist's story with lines from unnamed sources within the Government. It's not proper, decent or remotely common journalistic practice, especially from someone in her position.

Her issuing the rebuttal is the work of PR people and spin doctors, and she's got previous - remember when she spread that Matt Hancock's adviser had been punched outside Leeds Hospital during the election, thanks again to her "unnamed sources", and had to swiftly retract when it became obvious that there was video footage of the incident which showed that absolutely nothing of the sort happened? She's either wilfully compliant in being used to propagate spin for the Tories or she's hopelessly naive. Neither is a good look.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I guess she must have teleported to Durham. The Spectator piece is written as a post-event justification of their actions. The only place mentioned is London and the only people involved in their recovery were themselves. Still if you want to believe that she was already in Durham that is your right.
    Another example of people jumping in without checking. I have never referred to an article in the guardian any other daily or the BBC, so your outrage at my opinion is entirely wasted.
    My comment was a direct reply to an article posted by TOBW and if you bother to actually read it before you start typing again you may see what I meant. I haven't read any other articles. I only read that one because he referenced it and I clicked on the link. and - - as i said--- whatever the truth Cummings' actions were, at best, questionable.
    So why don't you hilts and the others that said I was wrong in my understanding of the article actually go and read it?

I wasn't talking to you, hence the fact that I didn't quote you. I don't know if you're a Tory or not. All I know for sure is you're a gibbering idiot.
    At least I'm not as sanctimonious as you ,with your morally superior stance .

Be safe

Banned

She gets a huge amount of criticism, not all of it fair I agree, and some of it is clearly derived from misogyny. But a lot of it is also fair, and she deserves to be called out for stuff like this.

The source she mentions was undoubtedly someone in Government, (let's be honest, probably Cummings himself) so instead if issuing a comment on the story their first act was to feed her a line which she then parrotted in direct reply to the initial story. She's the BBC's political editor, her job is not to directly rebut another journalist's story with lines from unnamed sources within the Government. It's not proper, decent or remotely common journalistic practice, especially from someone in her position.

Her issuing the rebuttal is the work of PR people and spin doctors, and she's got previous - remember when she spread that Matt Hancock's adviser had been punched outside Leeds Hospital during the election, thanks again to her "unnamed sources", and had to swiftly retract when it became obvious that there was video footage of the incident which showed that absolutely nothing of the sort happened? She's either wilfully compliant in being used to propagate spin for the Tories or she's hopelessly naive. Neither is a good look.
    She's not very intelligent. Am I allowed to say this without being accused of being a misogynist?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    At least I'm not as sanctimonious as you ,with your morally superior stance .
    Indeed. You may be a gibbering idiot, but at least you're not a sanctimonious, gibbering idiot.

That's a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's actually based on the fact she is a well known tory sympathiser

It's an open secret
    yep it certainty is , she clever though , plays pretense and chucks out the odd criticism of the Tories . I notice at the press briefings they go to her first and , old Boris always call her Laura in a friendly way smug way ,think she secretly has the hots for him

great reply and well observed ,you hit the nil on the head