+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Hypocrite or not, here’s an article from a leading English QC about recent events. Perhaps interesting to at least try to understand the legal position:
    https://insights.doughtystreet.co.uk...ly-and-legally
    "Whilst the strategy of attempting to argue that Mr. Cummings' conduct was within government guidelines is insulting and distressing to those who have made terrible sacrifices by staying indoors away from family, it also clears the "we're all in this together" smokescreen to reveal a political plane where different rules apply."

This is the crux of it and why the arrogant fool should fall on his sword.
    If he doesn't he should have his collar felt like the many others beforehand referenced in the article.
    His boss too!

A friend has just copied onto Facebook a government tweet from the Prime Minister's office on 15/04/20. It reads:

Don't break the rules. If you do, it won't just impact you.

If one person breaks the rules, we will all suffer.

Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.

Obviously Dominic Cummings was exempt from this instruction.

One thing the article clarified for me was that the inclusion of "keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however we are aware that not all these measures will be possible." was designed to recognise that distancing in the home with children, for example, may be challenging but nevertheless people should do their best.

It was not intended, as suggested, as an opt-out clause for people to just follow their own instincts and ignore the central message which was to stay at home.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    One thing the article clarified for me was that the inclusion of "keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however we are aware that not all these measures will be possible." was designed to highlight that distancing in the home with children, for example, may be challenging but nevertheless people should do their best.

It was not intended, as suggested, as an opt-out clause for people to just follow their own instincts and ignore the central message which was to stay at home.
    As much as it pains me to say this, but people who have been rightly fined for breaching the guidelines should consider appealing because the guidelines appear to have a huge element of flexibility and ambiguity.