+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Heisenberg

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I see sense your smell for blood.

Stay indoors
    You can "see sense" my smell for blood. Very impressive.

Not sure what point you're trying to make in any of your posts tbh.

You said it was "very bold of me" to say something in one of my posts and then asked if I had an autistic child... but the quote above is now your only response.

What's up, LoM? Did you have an argument to make but it's fallen apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You can "see sense" my smell for blood. Very impressive.

Not sure what point you're trying to make in any of your posts tbh.

You said it was "very bold of me" to say something in one of my posts and then asked if I had an autistic child... but the quote above is now your only response.

What's up, LoM? Did you have an argument to make but it's fallen apart?
    If it turns out that the family does have an autistic child, then it makes all the difference. Google the subject and see how difficult it can be for parents.

Your comments are unnecessarily callous and insensitive

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    If it turns out that the family does have an autistic child, then it makes all the difference. Google the subject and see how difficult it can be for parents.

Your comments are unnecessarily callous and insensitive
    Are you on a wind up?

Having an autistic child does not excuse what they did in the slightest. That's not callous or insensitive at all.

Thousands of families in the UK with autistic children (like the family I mentioned further up) will have been in the same position as the Cummings' and they were expected to abide by the rules.

I do not need to Google the subject - thank you for your patronising remarks though. I have spent years with autistic adults and children in my personal and professional life and do you know the one major aspect of autism that I've learned from it all... routine is absolutely key.

That's the last I'll say on the matter.

Are you on a wind up?

Having an autistic child does not excuse what they did in the slightest. That's not callous or insensitive at all.

Thousands of families in the UK with autistic children (like the family I mentioned further up) will have been in the same position as the Cummings' and they were expected to abide by the rules.

I do not need to Google the subject - thank you for your patronising remarks though. I have spent years with autistic adults and children in my personal and professional life and do you know the one major aspect of autism that I've learned from it all... routine is absolutely key.

That's the last I'll say on the matter.
    Im sure you will admit that knowing people with and working with autism professionally is very different to being the parents of a child with autism, or any other similar chronic disorder. They love the child and are with him/her 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Im sure you will admit that knowing people with and working with autism professionally is very different to being the parents of a child with autism, or any other similar chronic disorder. They love the child and are with him/her 24/7
    Didn't his wife's article say he works 16 hours day? I'm surprised they didn't have a nanny, considering he must be earning a fair whack.

I don’t see how an autistic child is an excuse in the slightest tbh. He is a millionaire for a start there were numerous other options available to him.

Heisenberg

Great opinion piece in The Independent today from a father of two kids about how he and his wife managed childcare whilst having Covid during lockdown. Interesting that he emphasises the importance that structure has is in his autistic son's life too... I think I mentioned that somewhere but was immediately told that I wouldn't understand it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9531376.html

My wife and I were forced to look after two children while we both had coronavirus – because that's what the government told us to do

Discomforting though it is, I find I have some things in common with Dominic Cummings.

Like the prime minister’s sinister svengali, I’m a 48-year-old father whose wife came down with a nasty case of Covid-19 while I was sickening for it. Like him, I work full time and this left us faced with a potential crisis.

According to Boris Johnson, instinct should have, at that point, kicked in. I should have ignored the rules, flipped off the country and driven the kids to their grandparents (one of whom lives a long way from London). Maybe taken a trip to a castle or local beauty spot. As you do.

Perhaps I just have bad instincts. Perhaps I’m just a terrible father. That must be it, because my first instinct when my wife was sent home from the school at which she works with a cough that would have made a good sound effect in for a future horror flick, was to do the exact opposite of what Cummings did.

We immediately locked down. We took the children out of school (still open at the time, wrongly in my view), which wasn’t at all easy because my son has autism and his school provides him with a structure he needs and relies upon.

We urged their grandparents to steer clear. To Stay Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.

That’s not least because, like Cummings must have done, I’d seen the graphs showing that the risk of fatality from Covid-19 rises exponentially as you get older. Unlike Cummings, there was no way I was prepared to put our relatives at risk to cope with a child care crisis.

The only visitations since then have been via FaceTime and Skype.

My mother told me this left her feeling “helpless”. She lives nearby and has jumped in before when we’ve found ourselves in tight spots. She knew that the situation we were faced with was going to be extremely difficult for me to manage. Unlike Cummings I have some fairly serious physical challenges, the result of a life-threatening road accident, not to mention type 1 diabetes, the result of a funky immune system that ate my insulin producing cells when I was two.

What my wife’s illness underlined to me was just how much my she does around house; all the things that my battered body makes impossible, very difficult, or just plain dangerous for me to do. There were points where I nearly came a cropper through falls. But I’ve dealt with bruises before, and we kept on.

Until the virus hit me.

At that point there were two of us who could barely move. My wife was on the verge of hospitalisation, having tried to get up and help (the GP called back three times on that horrible day which will forever be etched into my memory).

Yet still we stuck to the guidelines with the religiosity of cultists. We improvised. We used the microwave, boxes of cereal, calls to Pizza Hut.

This does not make us special. Our story is not unique, nor even unusual. There are people who have had to cope with situations similar to ours while in small flats, even temporary accommodation. There are people who’ve endured worse. There are people who’ve had relatives die without the chance to say goodbye.

You’ll probably have seen some of their stories.

I think there is a degree of mitigation if he has an autistic child but there is absolutely no mitigation in travelling 30 miles from Durham for a day out if indeed that happened. More at the 4pm Press Conference. Might he resign?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    do you have an autistic child
    I do.

What do you need to know, I can ring up my in laws for the answer

Cummings drove north and with at least one person in the car suffering from virus and just in case he and his wife were to become incapacitated.
    It would be far more sensible to simply have a member of his family who was not suffering from the virus to drive down and collect the child if they did indeed become incapacitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think there is a degree of mitigation if he has an autistic child but there is absolutely no mitigation in travelling 30 miles from Durham for a day out if indeed that happened. More at the 4pm Press Conference. Might he resign?
    Absolutely no way will be resign. It'll be something like this.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't see it happening. If anything, I can only see this being him trying to get the sympathy vote (if the rumours are true) - and it's clearly already working for some people on here. Multiply that by the population of the UK and it will turn into people accusing anyone who opposes his trip of being "callous and insensitive".

Cummings' is a genius spin doctor - he could actually pull this off somehow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Absolutely no way will be resign. It'll be something like this.

Victim card? Very likely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Cummings drove north and with at least one person in the car suffering from virus and just in case he and his wife were to become incapacitated.
    It would be far more sensible to simply have a member of his family who was not suffering from the virus to drive down and collect the child if they did indeed become incapacitated.
    It's that out of the box thinking that excludes you from the office of PM Advisor. I now label you unskilled.

Who is this twat TomHarwood on the BBC. So right wing he'd be halfway back on the Bob Bank.
    Hopefully he wont be in parliament for a long time and I'll be too old to care by then.

I don't see it happening. If anything, I can only see this being him trying to get the sympathy vote (if the rumours are true) - and it's clearly already working for some people on here. Multiply that by the population of the UK and it will turn into people accusing anyone who opposes his trip of being "callous and insensitive".

Cummings' is a genius spin doctor - he could actually pull this off somehow.
    All that is probably true. It's just that I heard on the radio that the Rose Garden in Downing St has been used in the past for resignations - the last one being John Major. I don't think Cummings will resign; he's too arrogant for that but thought I would raise the possibility for the reason described above.

Incidentally Durham Police have just said that Cummings trips are not to be further investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Who is this twat TomHarwood on the BBC. So right wing he'd be halfway back on the Bob Bank.
    Hopefully he wont be in parliament for a long time and I'll be too old to care by then.
    Thomas Hedley Fairfax "Tom" Harwood is a British political commentator, Far-right activist, and journalist. He is a senior reporter for the right-wing political news website, Guido Fawkes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harwood

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Is this a parody account

Read his wife’s article here about how ill they were. A piece of pure fiction.

https://spectator.us/getting-coronavirus-bring-clarity/
    This article deserves a bump, just as Cummings and his wife seem to deserve each other when it comes to truth twisting, deceit and self-justification.

If you overlaid this with the version Cummings gave yesterday there would not be much that fitted in the intersection of the Venn diagram. Obviously the truth may not be in either of their tales.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thomas Hedley Fairfax "Tom" Harwood is a British political commentator, Far-right activist, and journalist. He is a senior reporter for the right-wing political news website, Guido Fawkes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harwood
    Poses himself as some anti-elite everyman, when in actual fact he went to a private school charging £6,000 a term

Tw@t.

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Poses himself as some anti-elite everyman, when in actual fact he went to a private school charging £6,000 a term

Tw@t.
    I wouldn't say that makes anyone elite in itself. Children don't choose where they go to school.
    That said, as with most of us, his parents attitude to life religion and politics undoubtedly rubbed off on him as they do to a greater or lesser degree on all of us. Even if they rub off in a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I wouldn't say that makes anyone elite in itself. Children don't choose where they go to school.
    That said, as with most of us, his parents attitude to life religion and politics undoubtedly rubbed off on him as they do to a greater or lesser degree on all of us. Even if they rub off in a negative way.
    The point is going to a private school gives someone a huge advantage in life so they really can't paint themselves as an everyman.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The point is going to a private school gives someone a huge advantage in life so they really can't paint themselves as an everyman.
    Private schools usually churn out people who go on to study "The Classics" and Ancient History, rather than anything productive. People mock media studies - but studying "The Classics" is just as pointless.

The say a study in the classics helps with communication. After each of Johnson's addresses to the nation, we were all left asking for clarity.

Cummings' study of ancient history clearly puts him at the forefront of decision making on a catastrophe that requires scientific understanding.

They may be getting a huge advantage, but the country is usually at a huge disadvantage whenever a privately educated person becomes the leader that they were simply born to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Private schools usually churn out people who go on to study "The Classics" and Ancient History, rather than anything productive. People mock media studies - but studying "The Classics" is just as pointless.

The say a study in the classics helps with communication. After each of Johnson's addresses to the nation, we were all left asking for clarity.

Cummings' study of ancient history clearly puts him at the forefront of decision making on a catastrophe that requires scientific understanding.

They may be getting a huge advantage, but the country is usually at a huge disadvantage whenever a privately educated person becomes the leader that they were simply born to be.
    Not sure I'd agree studying 'The Classics' is pointless. Science, Art, History, Politics and Religion all have significant groundings in classical antiquity and Western culture owes a great deal to Ancient Greece and Rome. I've actually grown more interested in it the subject over time.

Anyway, back to this **at Cummings.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Not sure I'd agree studying 'The Classics' is pointless. Science, Art, History, Politics and Religion all have significant groundings in classical antiquity and Western culture owes a great deal to Ancient Greece and Rome. I've actually grown more interested in it the subject over time.

Anyway, back to this **at Cummings.
    Or more appropriately his comings and goings

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    My son went to a public school and he is a long way form Cummins believe me.