Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Is Stephen Kinnock still in a job?
    Yes - and Robert Jenrick.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Another example of people jumping in without checking. I have never referred to an article in the guardian any other daily or the BBC, so your outrage at my opinion is entirely wasted.
    My comment was a direct reply to an article posted by TOBW and if you bother to actually read it before you start typing again you may see what I meant. I haven't read any other articles. I only read that one because he referenced it and I clicked on the link. and - - as i said--- whatever the truth Cummings' actions were, at best, questionable.
    So why don't you hilts and the others that said I was wrong in my understanding of the article actually go and read it?
    Yeah that's the one. As you are accusing someone of jumping in without checking then perhaps you can point to the bit where I mentioned the Guardian, any other daily or the BBC. We are both discussing the Spectator article written by Cummings' wife where you seem to think she may have already been in Durham and he drove there to be with them. Anything else is confusion on your part.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Yeah that's the one. As you are accusing someone of jumping in without checking then perhaps you can point to the bit where I mentioned the Guardian, any other daily or the BBC. We are both discussing the Spectator article written by Cummings' wife where you seem to think she may have already been in Durham and he drove there to be with them. Anything else is confusion on your part.
    I read the article and can't see any reference to where she was. If there is something i missed it. What does it say about her being in London?
    I didn't mean you mentioned the Guardian article just that it had been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Robert Jenrick did similar didnt he? Hes still a minister for a Government delivering these policies.

Should he have resigned as a Minister. I think so. As an MP MP probably not.

Cummings had covid symptoms.

This is a different level.
    So there are different levels of breaking the rules? If you have symptoms or not you can have the virus.

Kinnock should have resigned, Cummings too, and Vaughan Gethin

And by the way, my neighbour had visitors for most of yesterday afternoon, and the couple at the back had their usual visit from their daughter and grandchild. What are we going to do about them.

Seriously I don't blame them. I think we are at wits end with these restrictions

hers a couple we are saving dosh on in this lock down :

The MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber claimed £22,941.75 on accommodation, £31,742.82 on travel and subsistence, £36,603.24 on office costs, and £963.85, according to figures from IPSO and Daily Telegraph.

IPSA said MPs serving as party leaders often have higher claims, while those who live further away from Westminster often have higher travel claims.

Mr Blackford came in second to DUP MP Jim Shannon who claimed the highest expenses of any MP at

I read the article and can't see any reference to where she was. If there is something i missed it. What does it say about her being in London?
    I didn't mean you mentioned the Guardian article just that it had been mentioned.
    After the uncertainty of the bug itself, we emerged from quarantine into the almost comical uncertainty of London lockdown.

Given what we now know this article looks more like an alibi rather than a truthful explanation of how they bravely fought the virus with only a 4 year old for company. It seems they emerged from quarantine then drove the 264 miles to the almost comical uncertainty of London lockdown.

As I say, if you wish to believe that his wife was already in Durham based on the truthfulness or otherwise of his wife's words then that is your right.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    So there are different levels of breaking the rules? If you have symptoms or not you can have the virus.

Kinnock should have resigned, Cummings too, and Vaughan Gethin

And by the way, my neighbour had visitors for most of yesterday afternoon, and the couple at the back had their usual visit from their daughter and grandchild. What are we going to do about them.

Seriously I don't blame them. I think we are at wits end with these restrictions
    And Drakeford.

This has become a very odd story now.

I think the gov could have just admitted he was wrong and carried on business as usual but they have instead opted to bullshit their way through it and have now rallied the troops to double down on the bullshit.

What Cummings did was unambiguously wrong and yet all the heavy hitters in the cabinet are coming out to bat for him and in turn endorsing an action that was clearly against the rules. It feels so unnecessary.

Gets me thinking about his value and whether there is more to this than meets the eye.

I thought there was something about it being his parents home and they stayed in a separate building? However, I accept that what you say about her being up there may be true, given how the Guardian article reads (though I must say that the bit about emerging from quarantine into London uncertainty in her article makes little sense if she was in Durham all the time), so, if she ever gets to read what I said about her, I apologise for getting it wrong. The Guardian article says he has a home in London though and at the end of March when we were just into lockdown that had to be his designated home if he was based in London, not whatever the place in Durham is/was. I'd have a bit more sympathy for what he did if he was going back to be with his family, but it's still worse than what others who chose to resign did if it is really as you claim.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    After the uncertainty of the bug itself, we emerged from quarantine into the almost comical uncertainty of London lockdown.

Given what we now know this article looks more like an alibi rather than a truthful explanation of how they bravely fought the virus with only a 4 year old for company. It seems they emerged from quarantine then drove the 264 miles to the almost comical uncertainty of London lockdown.

As I say, if you wish to believe that his wife was already in Durham based on the truthfulness or otherwise of his wife's words then that is your right.
    What I asked you was to show me where in that article there is any reference to her being in London, or anywhere else. All the comments to me have referred to her being in London but there is no reference to that in the article and the post by TOBW that I commented on.
    So people are just making assumptions about what I know or what I read. Or is it there in that article?

What I asked you was to show me where in that article there is any reference to her being in London, or anywhere else. All the comments to me have referred to her being in London but there is no reference to that in the article and the post by TOBW that I commented on.
    So people are just making assumptions about what I know or what I read. Or is it there in that article?
    The Guardian started asking No 10 about Cummings being sighted in Durham on 5th April and got blanked and subsequently.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-must-address

On April 23rd his wife publishes an ambiguous article in the Spectator. Based on the fact that the article is not explicit about their actions you have read in the possibility that she was already in Durham. No-one seems to have a problem with you believing it though I am sure you will equally value my opinion that the article is post-event poppy-cock written in the knowledge that their actions were being investigated by the press.

Compare the Government Ministers(Gove, Raab and Sunak) responses to those of the resignation of Neil Ferguson (see article below) whose actions were nowhere near as irresponsible as Cummings. Hancock was "speechless" and Brokenshire said "it was an error of judgement and he was right to resign". The PM said that he was right to resign.

Yes we know that there are people breaking the rules everyday like one poster's neighbours. The difference here is that Cummings is a Senior Special adviser, I think they are known as SPADs, to none other than the Prime Minister. He knew the rules better than most and was, in all probability the architect of "Stay Home;Save Lives Protect the NHS" (He likes a slogan does Cummings eg Let's take back control. Get Brexit done) Ferguson did the right thing. So should Cummings. Let's see what happens but there is already evidence of dual standards in play here.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...er-coronavirus

Heisenberg

From the spectator article that Mrs Cummings wrote (the one you keep referring to): "My husband did rush home to look after me".

He rushed home to where?!They don't live in Durham and she makes no reference to it in the article, only London. It's complete fabrication of the facts.

(I'm not "having a go" by the way )

Cummings is a ****ing unelected scumbag. One rule for him, another for us.... seems like borderline dictatorship

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    She's not very intelligent. Am I allowed to say this without being accused of being a misogynist?
    She's bloody awful. She's also smug. She definitely patronised Corbyn up until he defeated a second vote of no confidence, her attitude changed somewhat after that. I think that she's crap. That's not political, i admire Andrew Neil and his ability to do his job even though he's to the right.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    From the spectator article that Mrs Cummings wrote (the one you keep referring to): "My husband did rush home to look after me".

He rushed home to where?!They don't live in Durham and she makes no reference to it in the article, only London. It's complete fabrication of the facts.

(I'm not "having a go" by the way )
    When I read that he rushed home I assumed she meant Durham, the have a home there but i still cannot find a reference to London. It may be word blindness. It doesn't really matter, as I have said on several posts, what he did was not very clever even 'f they do manage to say it was in the rules. It was the way the likes of hitls questioned what I ahd said assuming I ahd read something I hadn't. lol

BBC News reporting that "Mr Cummings is understood to have left London with his wife, who'd developed symptoms, and their young son after lockdown rules were put in place on 23 March". Assuming this is part of the rolling coverage which makes up much of the BBC News Channels output, wouldn't the Government have said something by now if it was not true his wife and son were with him?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    BBC News reporting that "Mr Cummings is understood to have left London with his wife, who'd developed symptoms, and their young son after lockdown rules were put in place on 23 March". Assuming this is part of the rolling coverage which makes up much of the BBC News Channels output, wouldn't the Government have said something by now if it was not true his wife and son were with him?
    They are wriggling that's for sure. Cummings must be a VIP in government.
    Is it any wonder people ignore the rules?

DC is coming out all guns blazing touting anyone would do the same for their family.

It's embarrassingly bad for the government but hey, we've all seen how thick their skin is this last couple of years. They don't seem to give a flying one.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    She gets a huge amount of criticism, not all of it fair I agree, and some of it is clearly derived from misogyny. But a lot of it is also fair, and she deserves to be called out for stuff like this.

The source she mentions was undoubtedly someone in Government, (let's be honest, probably Cummings himself) so instead if issuing a comment on the story their first act was to feed her a line which she then parrotted in direct reply to the initial story. She's the BBC's political editor, her job is not to directly rebut another journalist's story with lines from unnamed sources within the Government. It's not proper, decent or remotely common journalistic practice, especially from someone in her position.

Her issuing the rebuttal is the work of PR people and spin doctors, and she's got previous - remember when she spread that Matt Hancock's adviser had been punched outside Leeds Hospital during the election, thanks again to her "unnamed sources", and had to swiftly retract when it became obvious that there was video footage of the incident which showed that absolutely nothing of the sort happened? She's either wilfully compliant in being used to propagate spin for the Tories or she's hopelessly naive. Neither is a good look.
    Spot on.

International

If they say this it is almost certainly true. I never disputed it, I only said that the article you posted a link to didn't say it. I hadn't read anything else nor, until 20 minutes ago, had I accessed any news feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Is this a parody account

Read his wife’s article here about how ill they were. A piece of pure fiction.

https://spectator.us/getting-coronavirus-bring-clarity/
    How do you know they weren't that ill?(

Remember, if you get the virus stay at home - unless you care about your family or have common sense.

If they say this it is almost certainly true. I never disputed it, I only said that the article you posted a link to didn't say it. I hadn't read anything else nor, until 20 minutes ago, had I accessed any news feeds.
    You seemed almost eager to put a different, more sympathetic to Cummings' iinterpretation on things to what was being widely accepted. I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Now we have had a briefing in which a Government Minister did nothing whatsoever to suggest that Cummings' wife and child had not travelled with him to Durham - you were wrong, how about admitting it?

You seemed almost eager to put a different, more sympathetic to Cummings' iinterpretation on things to what was being widely accepted. I was prepared to admit I was wrong. Now we have had a briefing in which a Government Minister did nothing whatsoever to suggest that Cummings' wife and child had not travelled with him to Durham - you were wrong, how about admitting it?
    In fairness to xsnaggle, it seems Cummings can't even manage to agree on a version of the events with his own wife, so how is anyone else supposed to know the real story?