+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who do Leeds and indeed the rest of football think they are ?

Re: Who do Leeds and indeed the rest of football think they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    League 1 and league 2 can't afford to play games without gate receipts, it's a financial decision. If it's safe for The Championship and Premier league to finish at some point, then why not?
    Add to that the Premier League will be in a better position to test people than clubs in L1 and L2 it’s a stupid comparison to make.

Plus as a business their revenue streams include TV money which is far greater to them than ticket sales so it’s in their interests as a business to try and complete the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What makes the premier league more important? Just money

People are defending it by saying it’s good for the economy, but how much money is being generated by 22 lads running about an empty stadium?

I don’t actually have strong feelings either way but rushing it back seems short sighted.

As far as I can see it, it would make more sense to bring leagues 1 and 2 back as those players are living on “normal” salaries. How come they’re not allowed to work for a living but premier league players are?
    Don’t have strong feelings but in your usual condescending manner demand answers from those who have a different opinion to you.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How does the city centre look different?
    I walk up Queen Street most days of the week on the way home from work. The most obvious difference is the amount of people who are out and about. During the first two or three weeks of the lockdown, you could walk from one end of Queen Street to the other in mid-afternoon and see maybe five or six other people in total. The numbers began increasing steadily from about week four onward to the point where this week there have been a couple of hundred people on occasions.

Until recently, Sainsburys had somebody on the door limiting the number of people entering at any one time. They don't now. The same is true at Poundland, where one of the two shops was open and a security guard was limiting numbers. Now the second shop has reopened and there's nobody on the door of either store.

The M&S food hall has been open throughout, but no other items have been available for sale and numbers inside the shop have been limited. They started selling clothes and home items about three or four weeks ago and yesterday there was nobody on the door. It was the busiest that I've seen it in the food hall for months, including pre-lockdown.

Boots had one side door open and were operating a one in, one out system a few weeks back. Now the main doors are wide open and unmanned. Same story with Superdrug.

KFC and Pizza Hut were doing deliveries only until this week, so the only people you'd see there were Deliveroo riders. Now they are both doing counter collections for the public and KFC has some sort of machine system in operation for placing orders (I haven't actually been in there, so I don't know how it works, but the doors are open again).

The fruit seller opposite Tesco has been back in business this week for the first time since the lockdown began. The cycle shop at the station end on the other side of the road is also open again now (I think it reopened last week).

The banks have been open but very quiet until the last couple of weeks. They now seem to have more staff and more customers. Specsavers is also open to some degree - not sure how that's working but I've seen customers in there for the first time this week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    From the government website

But maybe rules in wales are different to here.
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the rules in Wales, what with it being a Welsh-centric forum. In that case, you are right and xsnaggle is wrong - but he'll simply blame Drakeford.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I walk up Queen Street most days of the week on the way home from work. The most obvious difference is the amount of people who are out and about. During the first two or three weeks of the lockdown, you could walk from one end of Queen Street to the other in mid-afternoon and see maybe five or six other people in total. The numbers began increasing steadily from about week four onward to the point where this week there have been a couple of hundred people on occasions.

Until recently, Sainsburys had somebody on the door limiting the number of people entering at any one time. They don't now. The same is true at Poundland, where one of the two shops was open and a security guard was limiting numbers. Now the second shop has reopened and there's nobody on the door of either store.

The M&S food hall has been open throughout, but no other items have been available for sale and numbers inside the shop have been limited. They started selling clothes and home items about three or four weeks ago and yesterday there was nobody on the door. It was the busiest that I've seen it in the food hall for months, including pre-lockdown.

Boots had one side door open and were operating a one in, one out system a few weeks back. Now the main doors are wide open and unmanned. Same story with Superdrug.

KFC and Pizza Hut were doing deliveries only until this week, so the only people you'd see there were Deliveroo riders. Now they are both doing counter collections for the public and KFC has some sort of machine system in operation for placing orders (I haven't actually been in there, so I don't know how it works, but the doors are open again).

The fruit seller opposite Tesco has been back in business this week for the first time since the lockdown began. The cycle shop at the station end on the other side of the road is also open again now (I think it reopened last week).

The banks have been open but very quiet until the last couple of weeks. They now seem to have more staff and more customers. Specsavers is also open to some degree - not sure how that's working but I've seen customers in there for the first time this week.
    Cheers I did pop in during initial lockdown weeks to go to m&s for essential cheese scones for my old dear, to balance it out I also popped into Poundland to grab a load of crisps for the kids. It was deserted, maybe two people in m&s. Def got busier the last time I went in and quite a few people had realised it was a good place to shop as it was so quiet. You could also park on Charles street right outside which was great. A bloke I know who runs his own insurance Co said it was so dead initially he was getting hassled by the homeless quite aggressively, I guess they were getting desperate with no shoppers about.
    No doubt most stuff will be open again in a few weeks and rightly so.....

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the rules in Wales, what with it being a Welsh-centric forum. In that case, you are right and xsnaggle is wrong - but he'll simply blame Drakeford.
    I'll blame Drakeford for what? I only said I thought that you could meet a family member, but if it is anyone that includes a family member so its still not wrong . If you can't you cant. What is the remark about blaming Drakeford for something adding to the point?

Cheers I did pop in during initial lockdown weeks to go to m&s for essential cheese scones for my old dear, to balance it out I also popped into Poundland to grab a load of crisps for the kids. It was deserted, maybe two people in m&s. Def got busier the last time I went in and quite a few people had realised it was a good place to shop as it was so quiet. You could also park on Charles street right outside which was great. A bloke I know who runs his own insurance Co said it was so dead initially he was getting hassled by the homeless quite aggressively, I guess they were getting desperate with no shoppers about.
    No doubt most stuff will be open again in a few weeks and rightly so.....
    Absolutely. We can’t stay in lockdown indefinitely, the cure is going to be more damaging than the virus. Get the boozers and restaurants open again ASAP too. They drive so many other jobs. Most of the magazines we print rely on the hospitality and retail trades for advertising.

I’ve been working so have got a feel for how much business has been affected. There’s people on furlough who just haven’t got a grasp of the serious impact to the economy. We’ve all had letters this week to say redundancy meetings to take place and I’ve still taken calls off furloughed colleagues who think it’s all going to magically turn around on August 1st when the 80% government furlough ends.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Absolutely. We can’t stay in lockdown indefinitely, the cure is going to be more damaging than the virus. Get the boozers and restaurants open again ASAP too. They drive so many other jobs. Most of the magazines we print rely on the hospitality and retail trades for advertising.

I’ve been working so have got a feel for how much business has been affected. There’s people on furlough who just haven’t got a grasp of the serious impact to the economy. We’ve all had letters this week to say redundancy meetings to take place and I’ve still taken calls off furloughed colleagues who think it’s all going to magically turn around on August 1st when the 80% government furlough ends.
    I did read somewhere the other day that when workers are getting laid off after the furlough money stops that the unions will not stand for people who have been on furlough being laid off before those that worked through the crisis.
    I know your thoughts on it from what you posted on here.

Who said anything about mass gatherings, you ****ing moron? I certainly didn't.

"This virus is nasty, a whole new wave could emerge....."

So what are we, as a society, supposed to do? Lock ourselves away forever in case things get worse? That's just not going to happen.

In my opinion, it's far better to begin a controlled return to some sort of normality as soon as possible rather than just hiding away living in constant fear. That's what's happening in numerous countries around the world and it's already happening here too. The city centre now looks very different to how it was a few weeks ago and a good percentage of the population are acting very differently too, which is hardly surprising after nine weeks of inactivity.

I don't understand the opposition to football resuming behind closed doors. If the players or staff don't want to be involved, they won't have to. And if people aren't interested in it, they won't have to pay attention. So what's the problem?
    Well there is locking ourselves away forever or listening to the medical people who are dealing with this crisis . They say it's going to be some time before people are going to able to gather in small groups . And you think the football authorities are right to be pushing for a start to the season ? Even behind closed doors the staging of a football match is a fairly big gathering , far bigger than the opening of your local pub . Thankfully you are not a doctor .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well there is locking ourselves away forever or listening to the medical people who are dealing with this crisis . They say it's going to be some time before people are going to able to gather in small groups . And you think the football authorities are right to be pushing for a start to the season ? Even behind closed doors the staging of a football match is a fairly big gathering , far bigger than the opening of your local pub . Thankfully you are not a doctor .
    There are 'medical people' who say it's going to 'some time' before people can 'gather in small groups'.

All a bit vague, isn't it? Who are these medical people? What is some time - days, weeks, months?

No doubt the government will decide when football can restart. It restarted in Germany last weekend. It's restarting in Spain in a couple of weeks. It'll be restarting here in due course. But fear not, nobody will force you to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I did read somewhere the other day that when workers are getting laid off after the furlough money stops that the unions will not stand for people who have been on furlough being laid off before those that worked through the crisis.
    I know your thoughts on it from what you posted on here.
    Any other time I wouldn’t mind being made redundant tbh I’m looking to get out of a dying industry but obviously not ideal time for a career change. However, there’s no way I’ll get redundancy, I’ve already been asked off record for my opinion on who I think should be left go and was difficult to answer as there’s a lot of dead wood and shirkers in the office. The 4 “workers” are still working and probably one other is unlucky to be on furlough but the other 7 you could make a case for all of them to go. Plus, It will cost them too much to make me redundant anyway. Sadly, I think decisions are going to be made on how little it costs the business rather than their skill.

There are 'medical people' who say it's going to 'some time' before people can 'gather in small groups'.

All a bit vague, isn't it? Who are these medical people? What is some time - days, weeks, months?

No doubt the government will decide when football can restart. It restarted in Germany last weekend. It's restarting in Spain in a couple of weeks. It'll be restarting here in due course. But fear not, nobody will force you to watch it.
    Some medical people say other things over a month ago and they are looking strangely bang on.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ims-professor/

We just have to get on like everyone did back in 1968 Asian flu was it? Think some people are living in a bizarre furlough bubble of sunshine and bbq.....

Don’t have strong feelings but in your usual condescending manner demand answers from those who have a different opinion to you.
    Is he condescending is he? My I never noticed......

International

Is he condescending is he? My I never noticed......
    Bitchy

Banned

Any other time I wouldn’t mind being made redundant tbh I’m looking to get out of a dying industry but obviously not ideal time for a career change. However, there’s no way I’ll get redundancy, I’ve already been asked off record for my opinion on who I think should be left go and was difficult to answer as there’s a lot of dead wood and shirkers in the office. The 4 “workers” are still working and probably one other is unlucky to be on furlough but the other 7 you could make a case for all of them to go. Plus, It will cost them too much to make me redundant anyway. Sadly, I think decisions are going to be made on how little it costs the business rather than their skill.
    Three of my neighbours are on furlough - that is 3 in one house.

One is at a builder's merchants. He has refused to go to work, even though his workplace is now open.
    His wife is self-employed, so that is pretty much that.
    The son works at a factory, but in the office. He refused to work from home so was furloughed.

I am wfh - he knocks my door complaining because the gazebo we have up was blowing around in the wind. Conversation that happened over a safe distance - "You need to take that down" - "I'll do it later" - "It'll get damaged in the wind" - "I can't do it now" - "I'll help" - "Thanks, but it will not be possible to socially distance when doing it. I'll do it after I finish work" - "They won't know will they?" - "Probably not, but I'm getting paid to work for them, not on my garden" - "When do you finish then?" - "If the last week is anything to go by, 8-9 pm".

This on top of a few other comments about how my house could do with a repaint, or the driveway has weeds "Plenty of time to fix that now" type comments.

It's basically been visitor after visitor going to their house, barbecues in the back garden, a fully paid holiday. I agree with furlough, but some people are definitely taking the piss.

Like you say, though, when redundancies happen (as they will at my place) - they will do it the cheapest way possible.

Three of my neighbours are on furlough - that is 3 in one house.

One is at a builder's merchants. He has refused to go to work, even though his workplace is now open.
    His wife is self-employed, so that is pretty much that.
    The son works at a factory, but in the office. He refused to work from home so was furloughed.

I am wfh - he knocks my door complaining because the gazebo we have up was blowing around in the wind. Conversation that happened over a safe distance - "You need to take that down" - "I'll do it later" - "It'll get damaged in the wind" - "I can't do it now" - "I'll help" - "Thanks, but it will not be possible to socially distance when doing it. I'll do it after I finish work" - "They won't know will they?" - "Probably not, but I'm getting paid to work for them, not on my garden" - "When do you finish then?" - "If the last week is anything to go by, 8-9 pm".

This on top of a few other comments about how my house could do with a repaint, or the driveway has weeds "Plenty of time to fix that now" type comments.

It's basically been visitor after visitor going to their house, barbecues in the back garden, a fully paid holiday. I agree with furlough, but some people are definitely taking the piss.

Like you say, though, when redundancies happen (as they will at my place) - they will do it the cheapest way possible.
    If there’s any justice people like that will be made redundant but I’ve always found chancers like that rarely get their commupence.

Banned

If there’s any justice people like that will be made redundant but I’ve always found chancers like that rarely get their commupence.
    Yeah, they probably know what they can get away with.

You really want that bloke to lose his job? That's not going to benefit anyone.

By that logic let’s all stay inside, no one from any industry should have to go to work.
    A very Welsh government approach

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    A very Welsh government approach
    And if a person doesn't want to go to work the government should continue to pay his wages. It's only reasonable?

Banned

You really want that bloke to lose his job? That's not going to benefit anyone.

The truth is that once the furlough money dries up a lot of these companies will claim they can't pay wages anyway. That will lead to redundancies, and I think it is only fair that those who tried their hardest to keep working through this (like my neighbour's colleagues who are back to work) are not being made redundant at the expense of the ones who have ridden the system.

The truth is that once the furlough money dries up a lot of these companies will claim they can't pay wages anyway. That will lead to redundancies, and I think it is only fair that those who tried their hardest to keep working through this (like my neighbour's colleagues who are back to work) are not being made redundant at the expense of the ones who have ridden the system.
    That's likely to happen, although it's going to be difficult to prove. Someone might have family with health problems or suffer with health problems themselves. Others may not feel safe to go back to work. Of course there will be those that have taken the piss. A word also to dodgy employers who may use this pandemic as a way of stripping back the work force and messing with pay and conditions, while those who keep their jobs become so grateful that they take it with a smile. Aint just employees who are going to pull a fast one.

They can be as vague as they want as far as I am concerned . If a medical doctor with experience of virus control says ......its too early ......its too early . You carry on playing spandau ballet and Pete Murphy in your bedroom , I am sticking with sabbath

Who's the daddy ?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And if a person doesn't want to go to work the government should continue to pay his wages. It's only reasonable?
    If the government and Employers can't guarantee a workers safety then they should make every effort to help them financially. There's an irony here in that some of the piss their pants tell tales who are so concerned about public safety and the spread of Covid that they spy on their neighbours are the ones who think that people should be rushed back into work.

International

If the government and Employers can't guarantee a workers safety then they should make every effort to help them financially. There's an irony here in that some of the piss their pants tell tales who are so concerned about public safety and the spread of Covid that they spy on their neighbours are the ones who think that people should be rushed back into work.
    But the point is that eventually furlough payments will cease. If someone doesn't think it is safe to go to work then should his company still pay him? Will he claim its not safe? Nothing in life is 100% safe except death.