Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
You don't think Mr Blue Sky is a Beatles-sounding record. I do. I could provide a list of reasons if you are interested.

To repeat myself so you understand what I'm saying, the first time I heard it I thought it sounded like a Beatles song, obviously not performed by the Beatles, but close enough that it seems certain to have been influenced by a few Beatles tracks. Stylistically there are more than a few elements there of later Beatle material.
Calm down Eric my boy ! I understand your point, I was just being facetious.

Whilst I respect your opinion, I honestly do not believe the two bands sound remotely alike other than perhaps Jeff Lynn's vocal delivery occasionally mimics that of Lennon, an indication that he was influenced by the Beatles as you say. Not the same sounding voice but just in the way he sings.

Also, Louis Clark's orchestrations are totally different from that you would find on any Beatles recording.

I've seen ELO2 (The Orchestra) about a dozen times live and McCartney three times and there is no way in my opinion the two bands could ever be mistaken for one another.

As I said in an earlier post, if you want to hear a band that really does sound like the Beatles/McCartney (other than a tribute act) have a listen to Keeping the Dream Alive by Freiheit. It could have been written by Paul himself.