+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The most spineless PM in living memory?

Re: The most spineless PM in living memory?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Yes, we've established that C*****t it is not used to say anything negative about white people. But it is used to say something negative about people of colour. Just as the P word is.
    Context, bro. Coconut has a different context. I say again, ‘coconut’, in the way I used it, was to call out Priti Patel. ‘Paki’ is used to intimidate people and make them feel uneasy when they haven’t done anything wrong

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Context, bro. Coconut has a different context. I say again, ‘coconut’, in the way I used it, was to call out Priti Patel. ‘****’ is used to intimidate people and make them feel uneasy when they haven’t done anything wrong
    But Patel could argue that she hasn't done anything wrong, and that your word makes her feel uneasy and intimidated. Couldn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I didn't say white against black racism doesn't exist did I. I only said it can be prevalent between non-British races and creeds also, it isn't only a post colonial British trait by any means. Lots of races creeds and ethnic communities can have racist tendencies and do, whether they be white black brown yellow or any other colour that may be used to describe them.
    But you are free to disagree if tha'ts what you honestly believe.
    I can somewhat see your point tbh. Like many Asians are racist towards each other and even against black people and it’s disgusting. Likewise, I found Mugabe’s farming reforms disgusting too. Please correct me if I misinterpret

Yes, we've established that C*****t it is not used to say anything negative about white people. But it is used to say something negative about people of colour. Just as the P word is.
    I'll throw this into the mix. I believe that ADZ is of Asian or Black origin? Would the phrase mean something different to him because of his experiences, culture etc? I'm not condoning it, just trying to make sense of why he used the phrase.

But Patel could argue that she hasn't done anything wrong, and that your word makes her feel uneasy and intimidated. Couldn't she?
    She has done so by her policies but if she tells me that she is offended, then I would retract the statement and apologise

Heisenberg

Nah just your response is. And the way you twisted the word ‘coconut’ when I was simply calling out Priti Patel for her actions.

A bit rich of you to lecture me on an issue I faced for my whole life tbh
    Who the f**k is twisting it?

Ask yourself this very simple question - would you be calling Priti Patel a coconut if she was the daughter of white immigrants and she was white aswell?

If not, then why not? Is it because it's in relation to the colour of her skin?

If it is... then that's racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'll throw this into the mix. I believe that ADZ is of Asian or Black origin? Would the phrase mean something different to him because of his experiences, culture etc? I'm not condoning it, just trying to make sense of why he used the phrase.
    I have been called a coconut many times. Even called myself one (yeah I admit I am a bit of one not gonna lie). Whereas if someone called me a ‘paki’, I would throw hands

International

I can somewhat see your point tbh. Like many Asians are racist towards each other and even against black people and it’s disgusting. Likewise, I found Mugabe’s farming reforms disgusting too. Please correct me if I misinterpret
    What you say now is exactly what I mean. I've been about a bit, not as a tourist but living and working in different countries and racism is by no means a British post-colonial or White on Black monopoly. I'm sure you know and maybe have experienced yourself the animosity that can surface between Indians and Pakistanis, but whether that has a deeper root in religion or not I'm not sure.

But yes, I think we broadly understand each other on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who the f**k is twisting it?

Ask yourself this very simple question - would you be calling Priti Patel a coconut if she was the daughter of white immigrants and she was white aswell?

If not, then why not? Is it because it's in relation to the colour of her skin?

If it is... then that's racist.
    I wouldn’t because she wouldn’t be betraying her roots. I would call her a ‘borderline-xenophobe’. It is a question of integrity, not skin colour

Heisenberg

I wouldn’t because she wouldn’t be betraying her roots. I would call her a ‘borderline-xenophobe’. It is a question of integrity, not skin colour
    What roots is she betraying in your eyes that she wouldn't be betraying as a white immigrant?

(edit: as a white daughter of white immigrants)

Banned

I think he is implying it does - his justification being that Patel has betrayed her roots. However, my argument currently would be that Adz is ignorant to the hurt that the word may cause to the person being called it. He has even used the phrase to describe himself - in which case, maybe the phrase is not as offensive as some here say it is.

However, I can see why people think it hypocritical considering that the phrase is only used on people of colour. I can't think of any other phrase that could be used solely on people of colour without causing offence, or being racist. I wonder what the reaction be if someone else here used the phrase to describe Abbott.

Context, bro. Coconut has a different context. I say again, ‘coconut’, in the way I used it, was to call out Priti Patel. ‘****’ is used to intimidate people and make them feel uneasy when they haven’t done anything wrong
    Here's one for you. If you do believe that Priti Patel is what you say that she is, then doesn't that mean that for her to get on in her political career she has had to adopt white centric politics, or certainly the politics that favour the more affluent, therefore, isn't she a victim as well? I do feel that this argument has been simplified somewhat, although i'm a bit guilty also as i just think she's a Tory ****.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What you say now is exactly what I mean. I've been about a bit, not as a tourist but living and working in different countries and racism is by no means a British post-colonial or White on Black monopoly. I'm sure you know and maybe have experienced yourself the animosity that can surface between Indians and Pakistanis, but whether that has a deeper root in religion or not I'm not sure.

But yes, I think we broadly understand each other on this.
    I reckon colonialism had an impact as the different races co-existed before colonialism. Like Hindus were part of Bin Qasim’s army but I am not an academic in the history and there are nuances. Look around you and you can see not many objects are black and white, and that applies to history and ideas too. But say for example brown people vs black people in South Asia... I am not sure as brown people (ashamedly) had slaves. Then again it maybe going with our generation, thankfully. But then again nuances, could be an echo chamber of people I meet. I’m sure you can tell me about other countries as you lived there

What roots is she betraying in your eyes that she wouldn't be betraying as a white immigrant?

(edit: as a white daughter of white immigrants)
    Oh misread your question. Sorry. For white immigrants, I guess the term imo could be applied. Not really my place to say as I am not descended from white immigrants

Here's one for you. If you do believe that Priti Patel is what you say that she is, then doesn't that mean that for her to get on in her political career she has had to adopt white centric politics, or certainly the politics that favour the more affluent, therefore, isn't she a victim as well? I do feel that this argument has been simplified somewhat, although i'm a bit guilty also as i just think she's a Tory ****.
    That is an interesting point tbh

International

I reckon colonialism had an impact as the different races co-existed before colonialism. Like Hindus were part of Bin Qasim’s army but I am not an academic in the history and there are nuances. Look around you and you can see not many objects are black and white, and that applies to history and ideas too. But say for example brown people vs black people in South Asia... I am not sure as brown people (ashamedly) had slaves. Then again it maybe going with our generation, thankfully. But then again nuances, could be an echo chamber of people I meet. I’m sure you can tell me about other countries as you lived there
    I'm glad you realise the point about slaves. Despicable as the slave trade was some people do not realise that the white "Traders" did not capture the local people and enslave them they bought them or bartered them from tribal chiefs where they were already slaves, an under-caste. Doesn't make what they did any less bad of course.

Heisenberg

Oh misread your question. Sorry. For white immigrants, I guess the term imo could be applied
    You would call a white immigrant a "coconut" if they "betrayed their roots"?

Colonialism has had an effect on the white working classes in many respects, the fallout from it has been huge with the loss of industry and identity, which in turn has profligate nationalism and far right politics.

Milky Bar?

Heisenberg

Can't believe I've spent a portion of my Sunday evening defending Priti f**king Patel.

Adz has a lot to answer for

Heisenberg

Milky Bar?
    Cheese toastie?

I’d say someone who is a white immigrant or descended from one would be better off commenting as I am not from that group

International

Cheese toastie?

Colonialism has had an effect on the white working classes in many respects, the fallout from it has been huge with the loss of industry and identity, which in turn has profligate nationalism and far right politics.
    Interesting. I find far right politics crazy but yeah I guess I don’t have first hand perspective of believing in it so I would have to agree to disagree with far right politics. But yeah lowkey want you to tell me more about the effects of colonialism on the white working class

Cheese toastie?
    I think that would do it for me.