+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The most spineless PM in living memory?

Banned

Re: The most spineless PM in living memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    My history isnt that great.
    Who were the ones over 100 years ago that were more spineless?
    I drew the line at 100 years because my history is also not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    My history isnt that great.
    Who were the ones over 100 years ago that were more spineless?
    I don't know about spineless, but Lord North was marginally more useless. Had to go back over 200 years for him though!

Well I'm sure he will be gone by the next election, , especially after reading this cross section of views .

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Given the circumstances, I was going to say it's incredible that Boris Johnson didn't have the courage to face the press today and instead pushed Grant Schapps into the firing line, but let's be honest - it wasn't incredible at all. Considering his track record, it was exactly what you would have expected Johnson to do. Can anyone think of another Prime Minister in our recent history who would have been gutless enough to have done something similar?

Regardless of which side of the political spectrum you're on, I think you have to concede that Johnson is comfortably the most spineless leader this country has had during our lifetimes.
    Has everyone checked their fridges to see if BoJo is hiding in there?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    But you have no idea where Johnson was or what he was doing. There are undoubtedly many more important things he can or should be doing than talking about one of his advisers conduct. Grant Shapps made some quite important announcements about transport policy, which is presumably why he took the briefing but no one was remotely interested in that and what he said was submerged by the political point scoring and oneupmanship feeding frenzy that took place from the media. Come on, surely we have got more important things to worry about than this ?
    One of the Government's most senior advisors broke lockdown rules when he HAD Coronavirus, which undoubtedly will mean that more people will flaunt any lockdown rules from now on because if he can go visit his parents when he's actively got symptoms then why the hell should any of the rest of us stay at home when we haven't.

I'd say this is an important issue, and TLG's right, it's utterly spineless to send someone else out to face the music. But Johnson does that every time.

The whole Cummings thing is massively overblown, mostly because people just don't like him. Being realistic within government, as within a percentage of the population then there's a lot of breaches of lockdown.

Is this in the current climate the most important thing that the government should be taking questions on?

I'd love for the time being for political point scoring to be left on the back burner but between opposition mps and the press (large amount of which have asked about 2 valuable questions between them during these daily conferences) then there is no chance of that.

He may be gutless, but it isn't because of not being overly enthused with questions on Cummings and the inevitable twisting of everything he would say anyway. I'd far prefer to believe he has more important things to be doing.

Should Cummings himself step down? Yes of course. Does it need to dominate the media for the next couple of days? No.

Given the circumstances, I was going to say it's incredible that Boris Johnson didn't have the courage to face the press today and instead pushed Grant Schapps into the firing line, but let's be honest - it wasn't incredible at all. Considering his track record, it was exactly what you would have expected Johnson to do. Can anyone think of another Prime Minister in our recent history who would have been gutless enough to have done something similar?

Regardless of which side of the political spectrum you're on, I think you have to concede that Johnson is comfortably the most spineless leader this country has had during our lifetimes.
    Not very often we are in the same camp, but cannot dispute what you have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The whole Cummings thing is massively overblown, mostly because people just don't like him. Being realistic within government, as within a percentage of the population then there's a lot of breaches of lockdown.

Is this in the current climate the most important thing that the government should be taking questions on?

I'd love for the time being for political point scoring to be left on the back burner but between opposition mps and the press (large amount of which have asked about 2 valuable questions between them during these daily conferences) then there is no chance of that.

He may be gutless, but it isn't because of not being overly enthused with questions on Cummings and the inevitable twisting of everything he would say anyway. I'd far prefer to believe he has more important things to be doing.

Should Cummings himself step down? Yes of course. Does it need to dominate the media for the next couple of days? No.
    It'll only dominate the media for the next couple of days if he doesn't step down

It is certainly not overblown, what he did was totally reckless and from someone with supposed intelligence, criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Has everyone checked their fridges to see if BoJo is hiding in there?
    😂😂😂😂😂

The last time I saw my Mother was the 2nd week of March. She was in a stroke unit in Ystrad Fawr having suffered a severe stroke in January that left her incapacitated and been transferred there from the Royal Gwent. I live in Berkshire but visited her most weeks staying in the vacated family home until the lockdown announcement. Since then she has moved to a hospital in Ebbw Vale and then a care home in the Rhymney Valley. I phone and get regular updates.

I accepted the pain of not being with her through the late stages of her life because of the risks I could bring to her, others and my family. Today I understand that the most important thing all along was not that but your closest family as long as you could isolate yourself which over-rode any guidance the government was giving to the masses. I would guess there are loads of people like me who think that rules are for the little people!

Heisenberg

"Political point scoring"? The adviser to the Prime Minister flouted the Govt's own guidance and has completely undermined the message that they have been giving the public since "lockdown".

You have said it yourself that he should step down, yet the party that he represents by proxy have defended his actions and have therefore exacerbated the argument.

If they had recognised that Cummings' actions have left them looking like hypocrites (and have now left the rules open to far more interpretation than we've been told was allowed, and fired him, it would be out of the news pretty quickly.

Instead, it will drag on until a bigger story happens, which may be tomorrow or the next day at this rate... But to call it political point scoring from the opposition is entirely inaccurate, in my opinion.

It's absolutely key to the entire issue of the lockdown, past, present and future.

It appears that a senior government advisor, a man who actually sat in on some of the SAGE meetings and who helped to construct the government's lockdown policies, didn't believe the guidance being hammered home to the public on a daily basis was valid enough to follow himself. Either that, or he believed the rules didn't apply to him.

The fact that this guy appears to be an arrogant, contemptible prick is neither here nor there - Scotland's chief medical officer came across as a thoroughly decent and genuine person, but she quickly realised she had no option but to resign once her indiscretions were revealed.

The wider question is what Johnson knew about this situation and whether or not he was complicit. It will be extremely damaging for him if, as seems probable, he knew exactly what Cummings was up to.

You dismiss this issue as being 'massively overblown'. Try telling that to people who have had to miss the funerals of family, friends and loved ones in order to comply with the guidelines, or haven't felt able to offer help and support to relatives during this time of crisis because they were following the government's rules while one of its highest-ranking employees was driving long distances to visit his relatives.

It's absolutely key to the entire issue of the lockdown, past, present and future.

It appears that a senior government advisor, a man who actually sat in on some of the SAGE meetings and who helped to construct the government's lockdown policies, didn't believe the guidance being hammered home to the public on a daily basis was valid enough to follow himself. Either that, or he believed the rules didn't apply to him.

The fact that this guy appears to be an arrogant, contemptible prick is neither here nor there - Scotland's chief medical officer came across as a thoroughly decent and genuine person, but she quickly realised she had no option but to resign once her indiscretions were revealed.

The wider question is what Johnson knew about this situation and whether or not he was complicit. It will be extremely damaging for him if, as seems probable, he knew exactly what Cummings was up to.

You dismiss this issue as being 'massively overblown'. Try telling that to people who have had to miss the funerals of family, friends and loved ones in order to comply with the guidelines, or haven't felt able to offer help and support to relatives during this time of crisis because they were following the government's rules while one of its highest-ranking employees was driving long distances to visit his relatives.
    Well said Dave, this particular Tory Govt. and its "advisors" are far too comfortable to follow the rules they set for others, at a time of National crisis it is a disgrace. Boris Gump strikes again.

I don’t do politics as it’s all a ****fest.

But these people are taking the piss out of the public big time. And the supposed british media who should call these people to account are complicit by failing to do their job.

What frightens me also is that the lunatics currently running the asylum will get voted in again because there is no credible opposition.

My wife worked on an ICU ward and contracted covid 19 and had to isolate for 7 days me and my son had to isolate with her for 14 days.
    1 rule for them and 1 rule for us plebs.
    I fuuucking hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    My wife worked on an ICU ward and contracted covid 19 and had to isolate for 7 days me and my son had to isolate with her for 14 days.
    I fuuucking hate them.
    I hope you are all well mate .

International

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

But these people are taking the piss out of the public big time. And the supposed british media who should call these people to account are complicit by failing to do their job.

What frightens me also is that the lunatics currently running the asylum will get voted in again because there is no credible opposition.
    Aint that the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I fuuucking hate them.
    Your missus is a star mate , take care

I am happy to stand for election if you will back me

I need a grand for the deposit

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am happy to stand for election if you will back me

I need a grand for the deposit
    I think sperm banks are closed at the moment

Thank you both for your kind words
    We are all OK now thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The man has had a near death experience and allowances need to be made for that, but, as TLG says, the problem is that Boris Johnson was like he is now before he got ill. The man who hid in a fridge to avoid the media during the election campaign has previous - he loves it when things are going well, but he was never going to be the man for a crisis like this.
    I'm not convinced he had it. I've seen bodybuilders come out of ICU looking like Gandhi and he apparently was on his laptop whilst in hospital.

He was either close to death and they didn't want it reported or its nonsense to keep him away from the public because he's a pleb.

It would help if he looked sharp usually but he looks like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards on a good day.

Keir Starmer is a credible leader. The shadow cabinet is superior to the arrogant, incompetent and in Patel’s case thick front bench.

Word perfect.

He should have resigned. When he didnt, he should have been sacked. And, ideally, punched. There will be tens, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who will allow themselves a little bit more freedom as a result of this. If he can visit family, why shouldnt we? Because people will die, of course. But that is lost on government.

Boris johnson is a dangerous moron and a coward. He thinks he is some sort of churchill figure but he's actually a sort of delinquent vapid chuckle brother, bouncing between incompetent ****-ups. Govts job for the last few months has been to listen to scientists; understand what they are saying, distill that into clear unambiguous messages; and lead by example. Hes been an absolute ****ing shambles on all fronts. Criminal incompetence.