+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The most spineless PM in living memory?

Re: The most spineless PM in living memory?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    It's amazing how well the cabinet are defending Cummings. It's a shame they weren't anywhere near as diligent when defending care homes hey?
    I started off feeling sorry for Schapps on Marr just then, being chucked under ironically a bus. But his staunch defence of Cummings at the end was sickening

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Thanks for thinking about me TLG. Funny how things work out.

Now that Garden centres are open I'll be off to Chepstow Garden Centre for a click and collect as they have the climber I want in stock. As it happens the butcher I use in Abergavenny has a branch on the premises, so a bit of shopping there is on the cards. If the weather holds its then over the bridge to W-S-M for sun and sand, but must make sure the meat stays cold so I'll probably use the camper van, with the option of staying over for a night.

Thing is my freezer is low on fish and I normally buy that in bulk at the quay at Brixham, but with the bank holiday he's closed until Wednesday. Im sure I'll work something out.
    Well let's hope you don't spread Coronavirus on any of your unnecessary trips then eh. Still, as long as you have a nice time, that's the most important thing

Thanks for thinking about me TLG. Funny how things work out.

Now that Garden centres are open I'll be off to Chepstow Garden Centre for a click and collect as they have the climber I want in stock. As it happens the butcher I use in Abergavenny has a branch on the premises, so a bit of shopping there is on the cards. If the weather holds its then over the bridge to W-S-M for sun and sand, but must make sure the meat stays cold so I'll probably use the camper van, with the option of staying over for a night.
    Just make sure you don't sit on a bench at any stage or you'll have to sack yourself, you smug Tory twat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Just make sure you don't sit on a bench at any stage or you'll have to sack yourself, you smug Tory twat.
    I’m not smug, and for the record if we had an election tomorrow Keir Starmer would get my vote

Heisenberg

I’m not smug, and for the record if we had an election tomorrow Keir Starmer would get my vote
    You haven't addressed the 'twat' part

Your post this morning was extremely smug, but given the attitude of the Tory cabinet and their minions in recent days it's not surprising that the attitude of the voters who elected them is following a similar course.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Being PM though he had the opportunity to step back away from the shitstorm.
    Blair adopted US foreign policy, Thatcher didn't, by the way, the UK Government had tried to get rid of Las Malvinas on a couple of occasions before the Argentine Invasion. What we are seeing now in the Middle East is a direct result of UK and American Foreign policy. We completely de stabilised an already unstable region by invading, occupying and attempting to put in place our own and more convenient type of democracy and allowed factions who hated each over to rise up and subsequently created a civil war where people are still being murdered to this day. Sadly, it's not news anymore, people are bored of it. The Tories also supported the invasion and the Lib Dems supported 'Our Troops' once the invasion had started.

These criminal actions by Blair and Bush have completely destabilised the whole world, born out of the invasion was ISIS and their merry followers and a rise in islamophobia and the fascist right. The UK's involvement led to huge amounts of refugees, death and suffering, nobody was spared which probably couldn't be said about that Evil bastard Saddam Hussein who we loved dealing with during the mid to late eighties. It has affected politics in the UK as well, a rise in the neo right, racism and xenophobia, leading to post colonial fallout in the most deprived areas that labour should have helped and supported, which always results in reactionary behaviour like voting to leave the EU because of foreigners and electing Boris-Same in the states with Trump.

Have some conviction.

Your post this morning was extremely smug, but given the attitude of the Tory cabinet and their minions in recent days it's not surprising that the attitude of the voters who elected them is following a similar course.
    But.....I would not vote for Drakeford. I think his group over the years has let their voters down big time

But.....I would not vote for Drakeford. I think his group over the years has let their voters down big time
    I tend to agree with this. However, there's absolutely nothing from recent Westminster governments that make me think they'd be better for Wales than what we have. In fact, I'm almost certain that if the Senedd became Tory ruled, Wales would take an even bigger step backwards. I reckon they'd do their best to get rid of the ability we have in Wales for people in Wales to make decisions in Wales about and for everyone in Wales, rather than being told what to do by London all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I went out and bought some meat and two veg today and stuffed it down my trousers
    Hope you went on a bus as thats for essential travellers and those needing to get to work safely

Think a lot of folk agree , a lot of them are traditional Labour voters, will be intresting to see how the May election results , Labour lost 6 seats ,probably down to Corbyn dislike and Brexit , with those issues removed it will be of interest to everyone within Wales and beyond as a barometer of the political climate post Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I tend to agree with this. However, there's absolutely nothing from recent Westminster governments that make me think they'd be better for Wales than what we have. In fact, I'm almost certain that if the Senedd became Tory ruled, Wales would take an even bigger step backwards. I reckon they'd do their best to get rid of the ability we have in Wales for people in Wales to make decisions in Wales about and for everyone in Wales, rather than being told what to do by London all of the time.
    Hypothetical really as the Tories have never had a chance in Wales. Allweknow for sure is that the current incumbents have done for the country they represent

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You haven't addressed the 'twat' part
    I’ve been called worse by the missus

Lets not forget that many people who voted Boris in, including life long labour supporters, did so for one thing....Deliver Brexit, and they knew it was unlikely to happen with Corbyn in power

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Blair adopted US foreign policy, Thatcher didn't, by the way, the UK Government had tried to get rid of Las Malvinas on a couple of occasions before the Argentine Invasion. What we are seeing now in the Middle East is a direct result of UK and American Foreign policy. We completely de stabilised an already unstable region by invading, occupying and attempting to put in place our own and more convenient type of democracy and allowed factions who hated each over to rise up and subsequently created a civil war where people are still being murdered to this day. Sadly, it's not news anymore, people are bored of it. The Tories also supported the invasion and the Lib Dems supported 'Our Troops' once the invasion had started.

These criminal actions by Blair and Bush have completely destabilised the whole world, born out of the invasion was ISIS and their merry followers and a rise in islamophobia and the fascist right. The UK's involvement led to huge amounts of refugees, death and suffering, nobody was spared which probably couldn't be said about that Evil bastard Saddam Hussein who we loved dealing with during the mid to late eighties. It has affected politics in the UK as well, a rise in the neo right, racism and xenophobia, leading to post colonial fallout in the most deprived areas that labour should have helped and supported, which always results in reactionary behaviour like voting to leave the EU because of foreigners and electing Boris-Same in the states with Trump.
    I will never forget the image of bush and blair in cowboys boots and jackets strutting around the White House lawns , supposedly deep in thought

Pair of fire starters

Praying to god

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Hope you went on a bus as thats for essential travellers and those needing to get to work safely
    I walked

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm by and large anti-war, anti-violence, sort things out by peaceful and diplomatic means.

Thatcher got huge support for the Falklands. It's reckoned that it saved her premiership. She also was PM when we went to war in Iraq the first time. I can't remember her being vilified at the time.

Blair did the same as Thatcher and got vilified. I remember the time that Saddam Hussein's statue was toppled. That symbolism was well received in the UK and, from memory, was well celebrated.

It strikes me that it's a bit odd that Thatcher never really suffered the public outrage years later for her wars, yet Blair did. Perhaps I'm missing something. BTW I'm not saying that I agree with Blair's actions but it's arguable that the whole middle eastern spiral started long before he came along.
    I get your point about the difference between the reaction to Thatchers wars and Blairs wars.
    There was one basic difference. In both thatchers wars she was defending a country that had been unlawfully invaded, The Falklands and Kuwait.
    in Blair's case he was helping to invade a sovereign country.
    Big difference in the eyes of ordinary people, morally. you only need to look at the help we had in the Falklands and the number of nations involved in Kuwait to see it.

Lets not forget that many people who voted Boris in, including life long labour supporters, did so for one thing....Deliver Brexit, and they knew it was unlikely to happen with Corbyn in power
    I think the decision to deliver brexit as it were is going to take fecking years and once it's down we can have another referendum because after a few years the public will realise what a monumentally stupid decision leaving europe was . Then when the decision is made to go cap in hand back to europe we will be right in the deep stuff .

Hypothetical really as the Tories have never had a chance in Wales. Allweknow for sure is that the current incumbents have done for the country they represent
    It's hardly hypothetical. Are you saying their performance in Westminster would in no way represent what they would do in Wales? Really? That's akin to saying that the Greens have never had a chance so we don't know what they would do. I'd have a pretty shrewd guess, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I get your point about the difference between the reaction to Thatchers wars and Blairs wars.
    There was one basic difference. In both thatchers wars she was defending a country that had been unlawfully invaded, The Falklands and Kuwait.
    in Blair's case he was helping to invade a sovereign country.
    Big difference in the eyes of ordinary people, morally. you only need to look at the help we had in the Falklands and the number of nations involved in Kuwait to see it.
    I agree with all that. It still doesn't answer the fact that when Saddam Hussein was finally overthrown, it was celebrated in the UK. I reckon that, at the time it was happening, the second Gulf war was largely supported by the public. Not by me, I might add.

Banned

Interesting twitter thread.

International

Is this another conspiracy theory? "huge transfer of government assets to private companies" Shirley someone might spot that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Is this another conspiracy theory? "huge transfer of government assets to private companies" Shirley someone might spot that?
    Carole Cadwalladr was also accused of being a conspiracy theorist on the Cambridge Analytica story, so she is probably used to being dismissed as such.

Save the NHS....whilst privatising education by the back door. Tax breaks for private health insurance for some and an increase in stealth taxes for everyone. Not straight away. Wont look good for the Midlanders and those up north that voted blue.