+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Leonard Cohen....

  1. #1

    Leonard Cohen....

    No apologies for returning to this subject....two simply outstanding videos and songs....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGorjBVag0I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3IJ_IP5L0

    ..and probably the best ever cover version....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw

    ...Once upon a time there was a LC convention in Hydra...I wish I could have gone, but circumstances at the time meant I couldn't....one of life's regrets......

  2. #2

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Tomorrow the first song will get a name-check from me.The cover version you picked, Maurice, is probably the only cover of any Cohen song that gets anywhere near the essence of the original. But here is the original:

    https://youtu.be/wHAHt2Hv_DI

    And two others:
    https://youtu.be/H2VJhd-i1QE
    https://youtu.be/JTTC_fD598A

    May your memory be a blessing, Leonard.

    StT.
    <><

  3. #3

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Click on the Hydra 2002 link, towards the bottom of the left hand column. Perhaps one day a reunion will be in Britain.

    https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/

    StT.
    <><

  4. #4

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Nick Cave's version of Avalanche is pretty good. Nothing on the original though.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1vVP1Tb64

  5. #5

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Nick Cave's version of Avalanche is pretty good. Nothing on the original though.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1vVP1Tb64
    My reasoning with probably 99.99% of Cohen covers is that the performer puts far too much of themselves into the song instead of letting his stark words speak for themselves. One case in point, in a myriad of cases, was the butchering of, 'Hallelujah,' where a whole succession of singers thought they could do better than Cohen and turned a gem into tarnished glass. Sorry, NYCBlue, Cave's version also falls into this trap.

    However Cave's 2015 restrained rendition in London I believe is much closer to the song's essence.
    https://youtu.be/w5AjWTOTMg0

    Janileigh Cohen, clearly allows the song to sing to us by not getting in it's way.
    https://youtu.be/OsU_nYDF4TM

    And of course, the Cohen original live:
    https://youtu.be/xxaOcHcrd8k

    StT.
    <><

  6. #6

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    My reasoning with probably 99.99% of Cohen covers is that the performer puts far too much of themselves into the song instead of letting his stark words speak for themselves. One case in point, in a myriad of cases, was the butchering of, 'Hallelujah,' where a whole succession of singers thought they could do better than Cohen and turned a gem into tarnished glass. Sorry, NYCBlue, Cave's version also falls into this trap.

    However Cave's 2015 restrained rendition in London I believe is much closer to the song's essence.
    https://youtu.be/w5AjWTOTMg0

    Janileigh Cohen, clearly allows the song to sing to us by not getting in it's way.
    https://youtu.be/OsU_nYDF4TM

    And of course, the Cohen original live:
    https://youtu.be/xxaOcHcrd8k

    StT.
    <><
    I certainly see your point. I still think the NC version is reasonably strong however overdone. Songs Of Love and Hate is the only Leonard Cohen album I ever owned. My dad used to play it when I was really young. He ended up giving it to me because my mum hated it so much. I love that record, but somehow never got into Leonard Cohen's other stuff. Dress Rehearsal Rag is probably my favorite Cohen song. Thanks for those links. They illustrate your point well and the Janileigh Cohen version is a real treat. I've never heard of her.

  7. #7

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I certainly see your point. I still think the NC version is reasonably strong however overdone. Songs Of Love and Hate is the only Leonard Cohen album I ever owned. My dad used to play it when I was really young. He ended up giving it to me because my mum hated it so much. I love that record, but somehow never got into Leonard Cohen's other stuff. Dress Rehearsal Rag is probably my favorite Cohen song. Thanks for those links. They illustrate your point well and the Janileigh Cohen version is a real treat. I've never heard of her.
    If you start with Cohen's earlier stuff there's no major mind-shift to make. His second album is a classic. This one is off that. Have a good journey discovering the rest of Cohen.

    https://youtu.be/GEmLSmb_2wk

    StT.
    <><

  8. #8

    Re: Leonard Cohen....

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    If you start with Cohen's earlier stuff there's no major mind-shift to make. His second album is a classic. This one is off that. Have a good journey discovering the rest of Cohen.

    https://youtu.be/GEmLSmb_2wk

    StT.
    <><

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •