Re: Beatles , years ahead of their time

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    https://youtu.be/l0zaebtU-CA

Tax man

Fantastic rhythm by McCartney on bass and Ringo

And that stabbing riff

Immense

What a superb band
    Never really got into them when I was younger, but studied them for a module at uni (as a mature student) and have grown a great admiration, fondness for them and a love for their music, especially from Rubber Soul on.

Tomorrow Never Knows is a class tune that was years ahead of its time. Reading Revolution in the Head shows how inventive they were, though George Martin was a genius who seemed to work out how to do what they were thinking. All at a time when recording facilities were rather primitive. Now going into a Beatles playlist..

International

Tax man

And that stabbing riff

Immense

What a superb band
    Apparently they wrote that in complaint for being taxed about 19/- in the pound. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Never really got into them when I was younger, but studied them for a module at uni (as a mature student) and have grown a great admiration, fondness for them and a love for their music, especially from Rubber Soul on.

Tomorrow Never Knows is a class tune that was years ahead of its time. Reading Revolution in the Head shows how inventive they were, though George Martin was a genius who seemed to work out how to do what they were thinking. All at a time when recording facilities were rather primitive. Now going into a Beatles playlist..
    In my life , what a simple , beautiful guitar piece

“Alexa, play The Beatles” a phrase I often use

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    “Alexa, play The Beatles” a phrase I often use
    Sexy voice that Alexa

Peerless.

Timeless, you get to appreciate different albums at different times in your life. Wouldn’t be without them

https://youtu.be/f70Z3cvrQd0

One of their lesser played tracks, but one of my favourites. Think its because the lyrics could have been written about an episode in my earlier life 😔

Banned

Tax man

And that stabbing riff

Immense

What a superb band
    Absolutely superb band, McCartney was superb on bass. Check this out

The bass on it's own is fantastic

He plays each verse differently. Vastly underrated bass player in my opinion.

Banned

Was in a night club in about 99 - Tomorrow Never Knows came on - no-one in my group had heard it before and thought it was some sort of sampling. It didn't sound out of place in the set that was played that night, and probably sounded better than most of the stuff being played. So, I put that track at 30 years ahead of its time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Timeless, you get to appreciate different albums at different times in your life. Wouldn’t be without them
    It's the variety of tracks. I always loved the White Album because it shows their wide range. But, later stuff like Don't Let Me Down and Get Back - with Billy Preston on keyboards, that stuff is as funky as ****.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Apparently they wrote that in complaint for being taxed about 19/- in the pound. Crazy.
    You're not wrong - 95% tax at the top rate. That was a Harrison song, he wrote some great stuff that got ignored - resulting in the very fine album "All Things Must Pass". One for Splott Parker to get Alexa to play.

In My Life is a beautiful song, A Day in the Life is the greatest song ever written and it was that song that our music teacher played to us after we spent the previous week taking the piss out of his love of what we called "the mop tops". We had absolutely no appreciation or understanding of what they really were about. He bunged on "Sergeant Pepper" the week after that (one of my least favourite albums of theirs) and I was blown away, found my dad had a copy on vinyl and listened to that album daily. I think I listened to it too much. Suffice to say, not many took the piss after that, only the Guns n Roses fans

I have a huge appreciation for McCartney's work (I loved Ram and Band on the Run), I saw him walking in London and said "Hello", and he smiled and said "alright?" - made my day that did.

Lennon wasted his time after Sergeant Pepper and you'd only get glimpses of his talent. McCartney gets derided a lot, but if Lennon hadn't been gunned down I reckon he would get the same treatment because both of their pools ran dry. Saying that, Egypt Station is a good album. I listened to that and it was as typical a McCartney album as you'll find, good, bad, strange, wonderful. Dominoes is a great track, but maybe a bit too popsy for Sludge's tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Was in a night club in about 99 - Tomorrow Never Knows came on - no-one in my group had heard it before and thought it was some sort of sampling. It didn't sound out of place in the set that was played that night, and probably sounded better than most of the stuff being played. So, I put that track at 30 years ahead of its time.
    Agreed. I was lucky enough to hear one of the first stereo vinyl copies of it in our lecture room with some seriously loud and good speakers.

Shame The Chemical Brothers ripped it off with Setting Sun.

International

As my guitar gently weeps

Yep, we could go on and on. Their best music was on the albums, although the beautiful and much copied 'yesterday ' holds a special place in my pre married love life.
    'A day in the life' is my absolute favourite of all time. So much to say in it.
    Love Neil Youngs live version. Spectacular.

Absolutely superb band, McCartney was superb on bass. Check this out

The bass on it's own is fantastic

He plays each verse differently. Vastly underrated bass player in my opinion.
    Superb bassist

Banned

Superb bassist

This was on the much earlier "And Your Bird Can Sing", it's difficult to find a better bass line from anyone preceding this track.

McCartney replaced Sutcliffe as the bass player, had a bit of a strop because the bass players back then were "the fat ugly ones standing at the back". Huge influence in the evolution of bass playing.

I always considered Nationwide to be naff, but they got it just right when they played In my Life on the day John Lennon died.

QUOTE=the other bob wilson;5079530]I always considered Nationwide to be naff, but they got it just right when they played In my Life on the day John Lennon died.[/QUOTE]

A celebrity death that really hit me and still resonates with me to this day.

This was on the much earlier "And Your Bird Can Sing", it's difficult to find a better bass line from anyone preceding this track.

McCartney replaced Sutcliffe as the bass player, had a bit of a strop because the bass players back then were "the fat ugly ones standing at the back". Huge influence in the evolution of bass playing.
    I love listening to these. Especially when you hear the mistakes (and there's loads in Beatles recordings).

Here there's a few. He misses a note at 1.05.

Bit of a cheesy song, but one of McCartney's best bass lines - complicated enough but he nails it while also singing and being frontman.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Bit of a cheesy song, but one of McCartney's best bass lines - complicated enough but he nails it while also singing and being frontman.

That is a great bassline - the song is cheesy, but he was trying to defend his song writing at the time. Amazing performance though.

This was another not great song, but what a bassline.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to hear one of the first stereo vinyl copies of it in our lecture room with some seriously loud and good speakers.

Shame The Chemical Brothers ripped it off with Setting Sun.
    Why? Setting Sun is a good song. And it doesn't diminish Tomorrow Never Knows in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why? Setting Sun is a good song. And it doesn't diminish Tomorrow Never Knows in any way.
    Was never fussed on Setting Sun, but agree with the second point. Sometimes things are better left untouched, but if you like Setting Sun then great.