Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Big Echo

Re: The Big Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yeah, ****ing poof butter these days.
    They now say real butter is healthier than these chemical additive spreads

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes I used to hold fire for the final version as you say wonderful achievement to get them reported printed and onto the streets the turnaround of the football echo was incredible from final 16:40 results to print was madness.

I'd love to hear from someone who was involved in that production miracle
    I'd have to check, but I'm sure they used to reach the paper shop (corner shop) by me before it closes on a Saturday at 17.30

We would all be playing football and it was quicker to go to the shop than it was to run to one of our houses to check 302 for the football. Not sure if it was 324 for results?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Nah Max, let’s keep our wonderful memories to ourselves (he selfishly said)
    I know mid 30s is considered young these days, even if I do feel old myself, but am I **** being banded in with the old ****ers just because I remember scrunching up paper to get a coal fore started.

The way you oldies crack on sometimes..."during the waaar"

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Why the hell were they ever made that big? It was a nightmare to hold and read!
    so you could use it to draw the fire obviously!!!!! doh!

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They now say real butter is healthier than these chemical additive spreads
    Inever use anything else but real butter at home. (no lube comments please)

International

I can recall when I was 6 or 7 years old, we had the echo delivered every night (Everyone did) and I can see the scene now. My dad would be sitting in the armchair and he would let the budgie out to fly round. The budgie used to it on top of the paper and then slide down the crease in the middle into my fathers lap. Then he'd walk up my Dad to his shoulder, fly off and do the same thing again.
    It was wonderful to watch but what always amazed me was that my father completely ignore the bird. you'd think watching him holding paper and reading that the thing didn't exist.
    But i used to try and hold the paper so the budgie would do it for me but it never did, only for my Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I can recall when I was 6 or 7 years old, we had the echo delivered every night (Everyone did) and I can see the scene now. My dad would be sitting in the armchair and he would let the budgie out to fly round. The budgie used to it on top of the paper and then slide down the crease in the middle into my fathers lap. Then he'd walk up my Dad to his shoulder, fly off and do the same thing again.
    It was wonderful to watch but what always amazed me was that my father completely ignore the bird. you'd think watching him holding paper and reading that the thing didn't exist.
    But i used to try and hold the paper so the budgie would do it for me but it never did, only for my Dad.
    Are you sure your mum didn’t give you magic mushrooms for tea

Sliding f ucking budgies

I always found the echo, mainly full of local gossip, a tedious read.
    Thursday's then latterly Wednesday's edition was better though as it contained all the local sport write ups from the weekend and also the fixtures for the coming weekend.
    Monday was only a few pages, journo's possibly had the Monday blues after a long weekend on the piss
    I didn't mind though as my paper round was a lot easier.
    The Football echo used to have all this sport before they cut it and used to hang about the local shop til delivery.

Nowadays sadly news and sport all online and central heating.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I always found the echo, mainly full of local gossip, a tedious read.
    Thursday's then latterly Wednesday's edition was better though as it contained all the local sport write ups from the weekend and also the fixtures for the coming weekend.
    Monday was only a few pages, journo's possibly had the Monday blues after a long weekend on the piss
    I didn't mind though as my paper round was a lot easier.
    The Football echo used to have all this sport before they cut it and used to hang about the local shop til delivery.

Nowadays sadly news and sport all online and central heating.
    Does the news radiate out ????

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Are you sure your mum didn’t give you magic mushrooms for tea

Sliding f ucking budgies
    Yeah it surreal but perfectly true.
    Mushrooms, fecking mushrooms?
    We couldn't afford ordinary mushroom let alone magic ones lol

The memory of it came to me last night. Three editions per day, News Extra, Late City & City Final. The News Extra was a morning Echo really (way before its time), on the streets at midday if I recall, Late City, out in the afternoon, had a bit more up to date news but the City Final was a must in the summer to get the very latest Glamorgan scorecard. Hard to believe nowadays that three editions of the paper were printed day in, day out. Great for drawing the fire as well.
    Yes when i worked in the City centre I would always get the late edition for Glamorgan scores. Something special about those days.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Yes when i worked in the City centre I would always get the late edition for Glamorgan scores. Something special about those days.
    But in those days, Glamorgan played in the city Centre, you could see the scoreboard form Castle Street, lol

But in those days, Glamorgan played in the city Centre, you could see the scoreboard FORM Castle Street, lol

Did it used to morph into Castle Street ??

Hold & read???? Are you following this thread or not? How the hell would we have drawn the fire???
    Your right!! What am i thinking of?They started to print them smaller once open fires became Obsolete. Its all starting to make sense now 😂😂

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Fid it used to morph into Castle Street ??
    Gawd knows! I thought morph was on the telly not on Castle street.

But in those days, Glamorgan played in the city Centre, you could see the scoreboard form Castle Street, lol
    Used to go after work to Sophia Gardens very often. Not when Glammy were away though! Needed the Echo then.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Used to go after work to Sophia Gardens very often. Not when Glammy were away though! Needed the Echo then.
    So when they weren't playing you didn't go, along with the hundreds of other people who also didn't go.

Remember waiting outside the local newsagents for the football echos to arrive. The guy in the back of the Ford Transit would just open the sliding door and toss a bundle out as the van went past. You had to keep your wits about you not to get clobbered on the head by a load of papers

I wonder if anyone can remember this. After leaving Ninian Park and walking along Sloper Road there used to be a guy selling the Echo which remarkably had the Half time scores from all over the country, how that was a selling point I'll never know but he stood there and shouted "half times echo". My mate who was a bit mutton said to me he won't sell many of those and I said why not and his reply was why would anyone but last night's echo. 😂😂 Spose you had to be there but I laughed all the way to the number 16 bus to Ely.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I know mid 30s is considered young these days, even if I do feel old myself, but am I **** being banded in with the old ****ers just because I remember scrunching up paper to get a coal fore started.

The way you oldies crack on sometimes..."during the waaar"
    Never mind dembe, in thirty years time you can harp on, ‘During the virus’

International

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Remember waiting outside the local newsagents for the football echos to arrive. The guy in the back of the Ford Transit would just open the sliding door and toss a bundle out as the van went past. You had to keep your wits about you not to get clobbered on the head by a load of papers
    If he had the strength to lob a full bundle of echos out of a van high and far enough to hit someone on the head I wouldn't like to get in a scrap with him

Never mind dembe, in thirty years time you can harp on, ‘During the virus’

I do remember helping my nan with the fire though!