+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Echo

The Big Echo

The memory of it came to me last night. Three editions per day, News Extra, Late City & City Final. The News Extra was a morning Echo really (way before its time), on the streets at midday if I recall, Late City, out in the afternoon, had a bit more up to date news but the City Final was a must in the summer to get the very latest Glamorgan scorecard. Hard to believe nowadays that three editions of the paper were printed day in, day out. Great for drawing the fire as well.

Re: The Big Echo

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The memory of it came to me last night. Three editions per day, News Extra, Late City & City Final. The News Extra was a morning Echo really (way before its time), on the streets at midday if I recall, Late City, out in the afternoon, had a bit more up to date news but the City Final was a must in the summer to get the very latest Glamorgan scorecard. Hard to believe nowadays that three editions of the paper were printed day in, day out. Great for drawing the fire as well.
    Drawing the fire,you might have to explain to the younger viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Ive never seen my old man move as quick, as when it caught fire 😂

Nah Max, let’s keep our wonderful memories to ourselves (he selfishly said)

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Ive never seen my old man move as quick, as when it caught fire ��
    Scrunching it up quickly to shove it up the chimney!!!

Ive never seen my old man move as quick, as when it caught fire ��
    Nothing like the smell of scorched paper first thing in the morning.

I started this thread hoping there’d be some reminiscing over the paper itself and nostalgically catching the latest Glamorgan score but no! My throwaway drawing the fire remark turned it into coal fire memories, messageboards eh

I started this thread hoping there’d be some reminiscing over the paper itself and nostalgically catching the latest Glamorgan score but no! My throwaway drawing the fire remark turned it into coal fire memories, messageboards eh
    Metal work in school the first things we made would be a blower and poker.

Metal work in school the first things we made would be a blower and poker.
    This whole thread is disgusting.

Children read this board .

Scrunching it up quickly to shove it up the chimney!!!
    Jeez....

Nothing like the smell of scorched paper first thing in the morning.

Followed by, A DOORSTEP SLICE OF TOAST, done on a toasting fork, with sliced butter on it. None of this nanby Pamby spread rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Jeez....
    Lang may yer lum reek 👍

Why the hell were they ever made that big? It was a nightmare to hold and read!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Followed by, A DOORSTEP SLICE OF TOAST, done on a toasting fork, with sliced butter on it. None of this nanby Pamby spread rubbish
    My Mrs just was on about toast done in front of a coal fire,it seemed so much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    My Mrs just was on about toast done in front of a coal fire,it seemed so much nicer.
    Can you remember women with corned beef legs from standing to close to the fire.

Yes I used to hold fire for the final version as you say wonderful achievement to get them reported printed and onto the streets the turnaround of the football echo was incredible from final 16:40 results to print was madness.

I'd love to hear from someone who was involved in that production miracle

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Its texture was stunning think the bread back then was nicer .

Remember drawing the fire with newspaper, bloody dangerours , I used to chop firewood with an axe for the fire from the age of 10 carry coal , never get these activities past yer health and safety standards police .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes I used to hold fire for the final version as you say wonderful achievement to get them reported printed and onto the streets the turnaround of the football echo was incredible from final 16:40 results to print was madness.

I'd love to hear from someone who was involved in that production miracle
    The first drop off for the football echo was the seller outside of Astey’s in Town.

We used to hang around to get the final scores first, even though we knew the results, to see them in print was awesome

And don't forget the Football Eco - the pink - late on Saturdays.

Why the hell were they ever made that big? It was a nightmare to hold and read!
    Hold & read???? Are you following this thread or not? How the hell would we have drawn the fire???

The first drop off for the football echo was the seller outside of Astey’s in Town.

We used to hang around to get the final scores first, even though we knew the results, to see them in print was awesome
    As a rugby mad youngster in primary school, it was great to play on a Saturday morning, score a try or two, and then see your name in the schools results section later that day.

Can you remember women with corned beef legs from standing to close to the fire.
    So you know my Mrs

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    As a rugby mad youngster in primary school, it was great to play on a Saturday morning, score a try or two, and then see your name in the schools results section later that day.
    Christ! Thanks for that memory, it was a great thrill wasn’t it, then it later years reading the reports of last week’s local league football games. Usually reading it in the club or pub after that Saturday’s match, loving it when someone who very rarely scored had his name spelt wrongly, Billy Cunningham was Billy Sunningham for the rest of his days

Yeah, ****ing poof butter these days.

Yes I used to wait there its was exciting times as it used to sell out , I seem remember the first selling point was at the front .