+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My really Stupid Question Of The Week.

My really Stupid Question Of The Week.

Once a week i'm going to ask a daft question, the sort of things that people say but without any fact or evidence behind them, although most of us (Me) just nod and agree, although in most cases it's probably because the conversation may be to painful-Tedious to stomach.

So, here it is. When people have eaten something that hasn't agreed with them, like spicy food, oily food etc, and they say that it has 'Gone right through them' causing them to use the toilet very quickly after eating said food, then is that just irritation or has the body been able to process the food into poo that quickly and send it out the other end? Is this possible? Over to the resident biologists....

Re: My really Stupid Question Of The Week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Once a week i'm going to ask a daft question, the sort of things that people say but without any fact or evidence behind them, although most of us (Me) just nod and agree, although in most cases it's probably because the conversation may be to painful-Tedious to stomach.

So, here it is. When people have eaten something that hasn't agreed with them, like spicy food, oily food etc, and they say that it has 'Gone right through them' causing them to use the toilet very quickly after eating said food, then is that just irritation or has the body been able to process the food into poo that quickly and send it out the other end? Is this possible? Over to the resident biologists....
    years back we had a cook in the canteen on the dock who was known as the only man that turn food into shit before you ate it

in my opinion as a complete layman on this subject, I believe the "wrong" foods can make you feel ill fairly quickly, possibly inducing vomiting, but it might take day or so to come out the rear end.

Its probably given them food poisoning.

Saw a tv programme once where they were comparing the digestive system of a westerner (could have been a British lorry driver who ate fried breakfasts and plenty of processed meat), against that of a Masai tribesmen. Sweetcorn generally isn't broken down during the process so both were given some to eat. The tribesman passed the corn within 6 hours, whilst it took over 24 hours for the corn to pass through the westerners system.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    in my opinion as a complete layman on this subject, I believe the "wrong" foods can make you feel ill fairly quickly, possibly inducing vomiting, but it might take day or so to come out the rear end.
    I agree with you, it's a bit like your mum saying that you can catch a cold from getting cold.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Its probably given them food poisoning.

Saw a tv programme once where they were comparing the digestive system of a westerner (could have been a British lorry driver who ate fried breakfasts and plenty of processed meat), against that of a Masai tribesmen. Sweetcorn generally isn't broken down during the process so both were given some to eat. The tribesman passed the corn within 6 hours, whilst it took over 24 hours for the corn to pass through the westerners system.
    That's what i'm after, interesting. Some of the shit we eat must make a mess of our digestive system.

Does the dodgy stuff push the ‘ready to go’ stuff through quicker? Another question though (just Googled it to confirm), it says that the normal human bladder can hold around one pint of fluid, so how come when you’re out on the lash your first five pints are free then it’s a piss a pint? Where are the other four pints stored before you make your move?

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Does the dodgy stuff push the ‘ready to go’ stuff through quicker? Another question though (just Googled it to confirm), it says that the normal human bladder can hold around one pint of fluid, so how come when you’re out on the lash your first five pints are free then it’s a piss a pint? Where are the other four pints stored before you make your move?
    in your belly, waiting to be processed

In your blood stream and stomach and intestines - doesnt go straight from the stomach to the bladder

That was what i was thinking, does the reaction of the food excelerate the already processed stuff? When i used to drink it was two pisses for every pint!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    In your blood stream and stomach and intestines - doesnt go straight from the stomach to the bladder
    Like a biology lesson this does seem a lot, four or five pints in the system waiting it’s turn.

I regularly suffer with IBS - have done since I was in my early-teens. The rate at which some foods can go through me during a bad patch is ridiculous and it's usually stuff that is generally considered healthy, such as salad of various descriptions - lettuce leaves, cucumber, raw onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

I don't want to get too graphic here, but that kind of stuff can be shooting back out of the other end of me either totally undigested or barely digested within a couple of hours if I'm having a really bad spell.

As for sweetcorn, I rarely attempt to eat that. When I do, I may as well cut out the middle man and just lob it straight down the loo.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I regularly suffer with IBS - have done since I was in my early-teens. The rate at which some foods can go through me during a bad patch is ridiculous and it's usually stuff that is generally considered healthy, such as salad of various descriptions - lettuce leaves, cucumber, raw onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.

I don't want to get too graphic here, but that kind of stuff can be shooting back out of the other end of me either totally undigested or barely digested within a couple of hours if I'm having a really bad spell.

As for sweetcorn, I rarely attempt to eat that. When I do, I may as well cut out the middle man and just lob it straight down the loo.
    It's mushrooms with me. I love them but if I have them for breakfast they never last till coffee at 10 Am, never!!!

If there are any other coeliac sufferers on here, you’ll know what I mean when I say, “If I eat anything with gluten/wheat in it, I’ll be sat on the loo within hours, sat there bowl in hands, with stuff pouring out of both ends”

Last time it was a hot cross bun in 45 minutes, in the bathroom for 3 hours

If you're into this stuff try a bit of Cate Shanahan, a US family medicine practitioner who pontificates about diet and in particular what she calls the 'Hateful Eight' seed oils that should be avoided at all costs in order to strengthen our immune system - relevant now with coronavirus of course. Take a wander through any of these

https://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Sha...rwt_scns_share