+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best individulal performances for Wales?

Best individulal performances for Wales?

Awaiting nominations for Vinnie Jones here!

There are plenty of obvious names, yet for me one of the best I can remember was watching Danny Gabbidon play against Italy. Gabbs had only 1 season at what is League 1 level at the time. We knew he was a quality player, but that day he was immense. Recently BBC Wales replayed the whole game and I paid particular attention to Gabbs. He always seemed to have time, won virtually everything against a great Italian frontline, never rushed his clearances, wasn't afraid to control the ball if he had time (even if he didn't have much time) and just oozed class. I reckon that if it hadn't been for injuries he'd have been at a very big club.

Re: Best individulal performances for Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Awaiting nominations for Vinnie Jones here!

There are plenty of obvious names, yet for me one of the best I can remember was watching Danny Gabbidon play against Italy. Gabbs had only 1 season at what is League 1 level at the time. We knew he was a quality player, but that day he was immense. Recently BBC Wales replayed the whole game and I paid particular attention to Gabbs. He always seemed to have time, won virtually everything against a great Italian frontline, never rushed his clearances, wasn't afraid to control the ball if he had time (even if he didn't have much time) and just oozed class. I reckon that if it hadn't been for injuries he'd have been at a very big club.
    Danny is the best player I've seen at the City. Not my favourite as thats Earnie.

I agree with you. I dislike international football but considering the level he was playing at and the opposition its was a superb display.

he always looked so composed on the ball, made it look easy

49 caps for wales aint too shabby with the amount of injuries he had

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    he always looked so composed on the ball, made it look easy

49 caps for wales aint too shabby with the amount of injuries he had
    Was it against Wrexham where he picked the ball up outside our own box, Canton end, ran 80 yards and curled one in the corner? Mark Delaney's cracker against Chester was great, but that was up there with it. A goal that's almost been forgotten.

Robbie savage v Italy for me
    Some would say headless chicken but he didn’t stop that day

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Robbie savage v Italy for me
    Some would say headless chicken but he didn’t stop that day
    Leighton James? Did he say that?

Gareth Bale was tremendous in a friendly with Iceland a few years ago and the same could be said of Aaron Ramsey in a game against Scotland at Cardiff City Stadium.

Going back awhile, Leighton James destroyed Czechoslovakia the reigning European Champions at Wrexham one night and Craig Bellamy was brilliant in a 5-2 win in Slovakia.