+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales and England today....

Re: Wales and England today....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Precisely. Our government have made a hopeless mess of dealing with this virus from day one and it's been a national disgrace, but putting that to one side for a minute, the simple fact is that people cannot and will not live in a state of lockdown indefinitely, especially when all of the evidence suggests that a large majority of the population are extremely unlikely to suffer any major ill effects from Covid-19, let alone die from it.

Although cracks of one sort or another began appearing in the lockdown almost from day one, I nevertheless believe that most people have dealt with this situation remarkably well and in good faith. However, having been locked away for almost all of the spring, the population isn't going to accept being locked away for the whole of the summer too, and I don't think that's at all unreasonable.

Whether we'll see a significant second spike in infections and deaths remains to be seen, but I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of the British public would be prepared to take a chance on that right now in a bid to get back to some sort of normality.
    Not sure I agree with your last paragraph. Whilst there may be some people willing to take a risk, I wouldn't say it's the majority, let alone a large majority. In fact based on people I've spoken to and many comments I've read online, the majority of people feel uneasy about returning to normality at present. They have genuine concerns that we haven't seen the back of this pandemic yet and believe that the easing of lockdown measures should not be rushed through.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The next fortnight will be crucial for the UK, if in England people start dropping like flies after their beach visits etc I’d imagine a tighter lockdown will be enforced.
    Good luck to them with that. Can you imagine the UK public accepting the idea of going back into some sort of tight lockdown while the rest of Europe continues to ease their restrictions? I can't see it. People had generally been compliant until the last two or three weeks but I think the genie is well and truly out of the bottle now, in England especially.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Not sure I agree with your last paragraph. Whilst there may be some people willing to take a risk, I wouldn't say it's the majority, let alone a large majority. In fact based on people I've spoken to and many comments I've read online, the majority of people feel uneasy about returning to normality at present. They have genuine concerns that we haven't seen the back of this pandemic yet and believe that the easing of lockdown measures should not be rushed through.
    I think the problem is that the people you read on line or are wheeled out by the press and TV channels are the ones that have an opinion and clearly the opinion they want to demonstrate. The vast majority don't. This can be witnessed by the Brexit debacle where the Liberal Democrats looked at the 1.000,00 people demonstrating against it and thought the majority of the country didn't want it, but forgot about the other 63,000,000 who weren't demonstrating and just want it finished.
    The vast majority of people are not totally risk averse and the average person's thinking is that it happens to everyone else not me, so they will go back to normal as quick as they can until something personal happens to them or their family.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Fair enough, but based on my own experiences during the last couple of weeks I think people have had just about enough. For example, in my block of ten flats I hadn't see any of the residents breach any of the social distancing guidelines during the first five or six weeks of the lockdown. Since then, I've witnessed every single household doing so and some on a very regular basis too. We're quite a diverse bunch, but nobody has been sticking religiously to the rules for several weeks.

I'm guessing most of us are still following the guidelines reasonably closely while we're out and about, but a lot of people are a great deal more relaxed now. I've noticed that everywhere - at home, in work, when shopping and while out on the streets.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think the problem is that the people you read on line or are wheeled out by the press and TV channels are the ones that have an opinion and clearly the opinion they want to demonstrate. The vast majority don't. This can be witnessed by the Brexit debacle where the Liberal Democrats looked at the 1.000,00 people demonstrating against it and thought the majority of the country didn't want it, but forgot about the other 63,000,000 who weren't demonstrating and just want it finished.
    The vast majority of people are not totally risk averse and the average person's thinking is that it happens to everyone else not me, so they will go back to normal as quick as they can until something personal happens to them or their family.
    Hang on, I really don't want this thread to become about Brexit, but have you just claimed that 63,000,000 people want it finished purely because they weren't among the 1.000,00 (sic) people demonstrating against it?

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Hang on, I really don't want this thread to become about Brexit, but have you just claimed that 63,000,000 people want it finished purely because they weren't among the 1.000,00 (sic) people demonstrating against it?
    The figure is just an estimate of the population of UK that didn't demonstrate in london on that huge demo. But you being you now I expect you'll want the names addresses and mobile numbers of them all.

The point is people look at he people saying X to something and are blinded to the ones who are not saying X. So with this, the people on the TV and quoted in news reels are not the silent majority, and it is those to whom TLG and I were referring.

Banned

The figure is just an estimate of the population of UK that didn't demonstrate in london on that huge demo. But you being you now I expect you'll want the names addresses and mobile numbers of them all.
    That didn't answer my question. Are you saying that all the people that didn't protest in London want Brexit finished?

International

That didn't answer my question. Are you saying that all the people that didn't protest in London want Brexit finished?
    Why are you so pedantic. I think that the result of the general election would indicate that the vast majority of people of voting age who didn't demonstrate wanted it done.
    If you want to know the exact number who didn't demonstrate why don't you use your superior powers to research the bits of information that suit the argument you want to pick. don't bother me. you know my opinion of you and your demands for links etc. if you want them find your own

Banned

Why are you so pedantic. I think that the result of the general election would indicate that the vast majority of people of voting age who didn't demonstrate wanted it done.
    If you want to know the exact number who didn't demonstrate why don't you use your superior powers to research the bits of information that suit the argument you want to pick. don't bother me. you know my opinion of you and your demands for links etc. if you want them find your own
    Again, that isn't answering the question. You said 63,000,000 people want Brexit finished. What is that based on?

Did you do this?

Number of people in UK. 64,000,000.
    Number of people protesting Brexit 1,000,000
    ∴ Number of people in UK who want Brexit done = 64,000,000 - 1,000,000 = 63,000,000?

vast majority of people of voting age who didn't demonstrate wanted it done.
    What on Earth is this based on?

A minority voted for pro-Brexit parties.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    A minority voted for pro-Brexit parties.
    A minority vote for every winning party in any general election. You could argue that all day if you want to waste your time.

Banned

A minority vote for every winning party in any general election. You could argue that all day if you want to waste your time.
    That isn't what he is saying.

You're not answering the question I am asking.

Yesterday you made an assertion that you challenge opinions that are based as fact.

That is what I am doing, and it appears Baloo and Croesy Blue are too.

I'll let Baloo spell out his point to you, maybe using sock puppets, or maybe a song - songs are easier to digest.

I'm leaving my question open too.

I don't I can make my previous post any clearer or more factual. Make of it what you will.

Banned

I don't I can make my previous post any clearer or more factual. Make of it what you will.
    I feel your pain

International

That isn't what he is saying.

You're not answering the question I am asking.

Yesterday you made an assertion that you challenge opinions that are based as fact.

That is what I am doing, and it appears Baloo and Croesy Blue are too.

I'll let Baloo spell out his point to you, maybe using sock puppets, or maybe a song - songs are easier to digest.

I'm leaving my question open too.
    You are a boring twat. Why don't you just giver in, you know you're a waste.

I rarely if ever quote anything as fact. I think 99% of whats on here is opinion backed up by whatever bit of crap off the internet suits the argument. Its all garbage and of no relevance at all except to fill in time. Ifd you are so stupid or so obsessed with everything I post that you grasp everytthng as fact that needs to be disproved then you must have a very sad existence. now carry on posting to yourself 'cause I'm not listening.

Banned

You are a boring twat. Why don't you just giver in, you know you're a waste.

I rarely if ever quote anything as fact. I think 99% of whats on here is opinion backed up by whatever bit of crap off the internet suits the argument. Its all garbage and of no relevance at all except to fill in time. Ifd you are so stupid or so obsessed with everything I post that you grasp everytthng as fact that needs to be disproved then you must have a very sad existence. now carry on posting to yourself 'cause I'm not listening.
    I'll take that as a yes then - you did assume that everyone not at the demonstration wanted Brexit done.

It's a fair point, though. Tories + Brexit Company + UKIP polled less than half of the vote. Labour had leave voters still vote for them. I know the Tories had remain voters vote for them, not because they wanted to leave, but because they were fed up of the shenanigans. Throw into the mixing pot that, each year following the referendum, those wanting to remain kept growing in number.

Similar happened in the European elections preceding that.

Had the Brexit Company been as serious about the General Election as it was the European election, there would have been quite a different result. As it was, deals were done and one party was a vote to sort out Brexit (not necessarily a vote in favour of it). Unfortunately Labour and the Lib Dems were too busy arguing with each other.

I think 99% of whats on here is opinion backed up by whatever bit of crap off the internet suits the argument.
    In fairness my post that you had an issue with was 100% fact and 0% opinion.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's a fair point, though. Tories + Brexit Company + UKIP polled less than half of the vote. Labour had leave voters still vote for them. I know the Tories had remain voters vote for them, not because they wanted to leave, but because they were fed up of the shenanigans. Throw into the mixing pot that, each year following the referendum, those wanting to remain kept growing in number.

Similar happened in the European elections preceding that.

Had the Brexit Company been as serious about the General Election as it was the European election, there would have been quite a different result. As it was, deals were done and one party was a vote to sort out Brexit (not necessarily a vote in favour of it). Unfortunately Labour and the Lib Dems were too busy arguing with each other.
    OK, we really don't want another Brexit debate. all the people on here who were so vehemently against it just proves the point really doesn't it lol? not exactly the "silent majority".
    The point being discussed was what TLG said about the majority of people slowly beginning to ignore the lockdown whatever the Goverment says. The Welsh news interviewed ordinary people who all said that they beleive the Welsh Governemt is right and they should keep it on, but of course you have to temper that with the thought that if they didn't say that then they wouldn't have been on the news in the first place.
    And of course if it is lifted there is nothing to stop those that choose to stay locked down to stay locked down.

I'm not going to argue against political bias because it's unwinnable. As I said, generally the winning party in any election polls less than half the vote. The point is that if, as the Lib Dems wrongly deduced, the vast majority of the country did not want Brexit then they would have voted for them. They didn't!
    And people will not vote to keep the lockdown in place too long, specially if England is freeing up.

Banned

In fairness my post that you had an issue with was 100% fact and 0% opinion.
    Yeah, but it's only the internet telling you what you want to hear mate. Really, 70% voted for UKIP, Tories and Brexit Party - it's just the BBC lying to make you think it was fewer than that.

I'm not going to argue against political bias because it's unwinnable. As I said, generally the winning party in any election polls less than half the vote. The point is that if, as the Lib Dems wrongly deduced, the vast majority of the country did not want Brexit then they would have voted for them. They didn't!
    You're not going to argue against political bias, then post your own? There is a point here that party politics was in play as well as Brexit. It wasn't a single issue election. There was also the Corbyn factor.

Last year's general election was not a ringing endorsement of Brexit, no matter how you spin it. Once again you prefer your opinion to anything else, yet you wonder why people have a pop and become pedantic with you!

Banned

OK, we really don't want another Brexit debate. all the people on here who were so vehemently against it just proves the point really doesn't it lol? not exactly the "silent majority".
    The point being discussed was what TLG said about the majority of people slowly beginning to ignore the lockdown whatever the Goverment says. The Welsh news interviewed ordinary people who all said that they beleive the Welsh Governemt is right and they should keep it on, but of course you have to temper that with the thought that if they didn't say that then they wouldn't have been on the news in the first place.
    And of course if it is lifted there is nothing to stop those that choose to stay locked down to stay locked down.

And people will not vote to keep the lockdown in place too long, specially if England is freeing up.
    No, what you said was that the GE result proved that 63,000,000 people wanted Brexit done and dusted.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You're not going to argue against political bias, then post your own? There is a point here that party politics was in play as well as Brexit. It wasn't a single issue election. There was also the Corbyn factor.

Last year's general election was not a ringing endorsement of Brexit, no matter how you spin it. Once again you prefer your opinion to anything else, yet you wonder why people have a pop and become pedantic with you!

International

As I said I don't want political argument but I thought that the Labour party said that Corbyn's leadership wasn't a factor? But again, I don't really care.