+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHO warns of 'second peak' in areas where COVID-19 declining

Re: WHO warns of 'second peak' in areas where COVID-19 declining

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Been trying to scare people with this for ages now, first it was people in London parks, then bank holidays, then VE Day, where is the second wave? oh that’s right it’s coming in October now
    Funnily enough though the infection rate hasn’t reduced significantly?

I wonder why?

Still everyone crammed onto beaches yesterday in England will rectify the current ‘R’ rates.

Tally ho.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Funnily enough though the infection rate hasn’t reduced significantly?

I wonder why?

Still everyone crammed onto beaches yesterday in England will rectify the current ‘R’ rates.

Tally ho.
    But far more people are being tested which means they are capturing more information than before. So if the rate is not rising that's a good thing.

From my experience it’s the old ****ers who will transmit a 2nd wave. Had to tell one up m&s earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But far more people are being tested which means they are capturing more information than before. So if the rate is not rising that's a good thing.
    Do you think it’ll be a good thing if the rate increases next week?

It’s currently between 0.7 to 1. More than 1 and it is suggested by scientists we could have another significant surge.

International

Do you think it’ll be a good thing if the rate increases next week?

It’s currently between 0.7 to 1. More than 1 and it is suggested by scientists we could have another significant surge.
    Of course it won't be a good thing. I can't imagine why you even bother to ask the question.

Of course it won't be a good thing. I can't imagine why you even bother to ask the question.
    Look handsome you seem to have a habit on jumping on other people’s points without much thought what has been said prior to your Size 10 feet landing with a thump. My point was to someone asking where the second wave is and I was insinuating that it could well happen in the next few weeks.

I was being sarcastic. Yes it is the lowest form of wit but I thought it would suit you fine

Please accept my apologies.

International

Look handsome you seem to have a habit on jumping on other people’s points without much thought what has been said prior to your Size 10 feet landing with a thump. My point was to someone asking where the second wave is and I was insinuating that it could well happen in the next few weeks.

I was being sarcastic. Yes it is the lowest form of wit but I thought it would suit you fine

Please accept my apologies.
    Your question appeared to be in direct response to me saying if they were testing more and the number of infections wasn't rising that was a good thing. so when you asked the question I responded to it.. I know what had been said previously.

It seems fairly common sense to assume that as lockdown is eased that cases will go up but the hope is that the tracing and control will keep it in check.
    By the way, size 9 and don't patronise me it is a waste of time and it does you no credit. Have a nice evening.

Your question appeared to be in direct response to me saying if they were testing more and the number of infections wasn't rising that was a good thing. so when you asked the question I responded to it.. I know what had been said previously.

It seems fairly common sense to assume that as lockdown is eased that cases will go up but the hope is that the tracing and control will keep it in check.
    By the way, size 9 and don't patronise me it is a waste of time and it does you no credit. Have a nice evening.
    Are you having a hissy fit?

Chill out handsome, I didn’t think you’d bite at that.

My sincere apologies.

International

Are you having a hissy fit?

Chill out handsome, I didn’t think you’d bite at that.

My sincere apologies.
    People always think I am because I reply, but as I have said so often, this is a fecking football website, nothing anyone says will have any effect on this or my life. I really don't give a toss about what people think about this at all. I find a lot of the righteous indignation amusing. (I'll probably get pulled for that remark now lol)

If this 2nd wave does appear, we should be prepared with more ICU beds, more PPE and hopefully better drugs to treat it at the start ( with trace and testing, we should be able to identify people with it earlier )

watching people around here, life is starting to get back to normally quickly, wickes had a line around the carpark the 3 times i drove past it today, every customer i did today had been to the garden centre in the last week

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    If this 2nd wave does appear, we should be prepared with more ICU beds, more PPE and hopefully better drugs to treat it at the start ( with trace and testing, we should be able to identify people with it earlier )

watching people around here, life is starting to get back to normally quickly, wickes had a line around the carpark the 3 times i drove past it today, every customer i did today had been to the garden centre in the last week

How do you keep your customers if you keep "doing" them?

How do you keep your customers if you keep "doing" them?
    I am that good

International

I am that good

People always think I am because I reply, but as I have said so often, this is a fecking football website, nothing anyone says will have any effect on this or my life. I really don't give a toss about what people think about this at all. I find a lot of the righteous indignation amusing. (I'll probably get pulled for that remark now lol)
    *Thumbs up*

this is a fecking football website
    I thought this was the Civil Service MB

Banned

Are you getting furlough payments on top of customer payments?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's a virus like flu but the symptoms aren't like flu.

We can rely on the info coming out of Korea and Germany who have both seen increased R numbers since relaxing lockdowns. This is expected even for us, it just needs to be carefully managed so it doesn't get too high.
    What was the R rate in Germany when they eased lockdown?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No historical precedent of a second wave of a virus? There definitely is.

Unless someone can see into the future what else are you basing an hypothosis on other than assumptions and predictions? Scientific assumptions and predictions are usually pretty acurate too, seems a strange reason to doubt something. Do you have a scientific background? You seem very sure about this.
    It's usually based on the fact that scientists made some prediction sometime in the past that was wrong. They do the same with modelling "Hah, they said 250,000 people died, but they didn't" - completely misunderstanding what modelling actually is. The natural conclusion (and the fastest to come to, probably during an ad break) is that the scientists and modellers are part of some huge conspiracy to frighten the population. Why Governments around the world want to frighten their people is never divulged, of course.

International

the 'r' rate in Germany when they started to lift lockdown was apparently just under 1 and it went above 1 in the first week. But the 'r' rate is generally lagging 2 or 3 weeks behind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Like most, I've read scores of experts' [not conspiracists] views on CV19. I may be wrong but no-one has based the 2nd wave scenario on any historical precedent. Like everyone since this thing started, they're making assumptions, predictions, and speculations.
    I doubt that many, if any, scientists will be basing their "assumptions, predictions and speculations" on historical precedent.

This is not how modelling works.

They will base their models on the number of people carrying the infection at the time that lockdown measures ease, for example. The data that was present in 1918 for the Spanish flu, for example, is less relevant in a more global time - but it's known R rate can be used as a data point to calculate the effects on a population of a virus that is more infectious. The rate of infection is higher for covid-19 than flu (at the base level of no preventative measures being undertaken).

There will be a better set of data available to modellers now, based on the effect on infections of the various actions that have been undertaken. This is partly why we will emerge from lockdown gradually (although the major reason is safety). Example, what happens to the rate of infection when schools re-open. Two weeks later, you open up the shops - what effect did this have on the rate of infection. And on it goes.

Also, just because there was a second wave in Country X, it does not follow that Country Y will get a second wave. And, just because Pandemic 1918 had a more serious second wave, it does not imply that Pandemic 2020 will too.

The "assumption" (there are not many of those), "predictions" (it's actually called modelling) and speculations (again, it is called modelling) are based on known data. They are not a prediction of what will happen, but they will provide guidance on what steps are most effective in keeping rates of infection low, and what the effects of easing restrictions will be based on the number of people infected.

Banned

the 'r' rate in Germany when they started to lift lockdown was apparently just under 1 and it went above 1 in the first week. But the 'r' rate is generally lagging 2 or 3 weeks behind.
    Where did you read this?

I've found my own sources now, thanks.

International

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Where did you read this?
    look it up.
    It was reported on the news when everyone was saying they had unlocked too early.

Banned

look it up.
    It was reported on the news when everyone was saying they had unlocked too early.
    I have looked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    102 years ago though, Christ they didn’t even have paracetamol back then. We keep hearing it’s nothing like flu anyway, pandemic flu would apparently be far worse.
    It’s a shame we can’t rely on any info out of China as they are a few months ahead of Europe, they would happily lose 5 million people and deny it ever happened, and the WHO sound like a shambles for praising the way they handled the outbreak initially.
    Yes of course, you're right. It was in the long distant past. We won't get any global pandemics again, will we?!

Seems to me your amusement at (righteous) indignation is always aimed in one direction. Andrew Bridgen the Tory MP was full of righteous indignation on yesterday's Newsnight as he railed against the media for turning the public against Dominic Cummings' perfectly reasonable behaviour - somehow, I don't see you being amused at or critical of that. I've decided you're just being deliberately argumentative most of the time, so you won't be on the receiving end of any indignation, righteous or otherwise, from me after this because I won't be bothering to reply to anything else you say about the virus.