+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Demonstrations against police violence end with 27 police officers being injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52954899

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Except that it isn't.

Unless, of course, the protestors drove 250 miles whilst having a passenger with Covid symptoms in the car, then drove a further 60 mile round trip on their spouses birthday, then blatently lied about the reasons for their journey, attempted to gaslight an entire nation, undermined the Govt. policy and treated the British public as idiots - all because they're untouchable thanks to the protection they get from the Prime Minister and his cabinet.

... or were they protesting for better civil rights and the only rule they were breaking in current lockdown in England be the social distancing one?

I hope I've connected the dots for you enough, LoM. Please let me know if you would like me to explain it in a way that my 4 year old would understand
    Still hypocrisy

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Demonstrations against police violence end with 27 police officers being injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52954899
    It's all fine life's maybe matter

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes, much of that was very positive. Police went out of their way to praise the organisers and most of the protesters for promoting and following government guidance on social distancing, and on the event being almost totally peaceful and respectful.

The Colston statue removal raises a lot of interesting questions about how we treat our history and the messages we want to put out today. Clearly it was a small group out of the full demonstration who took down the statue and dumped it in the Avon. The police will be after them for criminal damage, but they have started a debate that has been missing for too long in Bristol. The city's wealth was based on the slave trade and there are countless references to slave traders in street and place names, the Colston Hall and the rest. This action should focus minds on how Bristol wants to recognise its history, but also who it wants to celebrate and why.

I remember watching a documentary last year that was looking in part at the slave trade legacy in Liverpool - especially street and place names. The black academics, activists and local historians who took part were almost all against re-naming to erase references to the slave trade past. They preferred to see information boards put up that gave information on the people and the trade ( a sort of blue plaque system) so that there was greater understanding and education. So Penny Lane would stay, but there would be a brief information board explaining how James Penny made his fortune - and at what cost to the slaves.

Heisenberg

Still hypocrisy
    I'm not sure that you understand hyprocrisy...

What did you say was the difference between the USA protests and the ones in HK that made you side with the protesters in HK but not the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Fair, I misunderstood your comment.

The situation regarding arrests, stop and search etc is one I agree with, and it's a wider conversation that needs to be had rather than people like Sludge trying to take the US policing issue and apply it here despite zero data supporting his claims.
    So on average 1.3 black deaths per year in police custody, not nesecatily through police brutality but possibly an underlying health issue. 13 deaths in 10 years. Does that represent a serious issue in this country? No it doesn’t. In fact compared to the previous 10 years and the 90s and the 80s it’s a big drop which must mean we things are improving. Or maybe that’s just coincidence?

I think it’s fair to say these large scale protests we’ve seen, where social distancing has gone out of the window, will take more than 13 black lives, directly and indirectly which is the worst part.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Clearly it was a small group out of the full demonstration who took down the statue and dumped it in the Avon.
    How far back is this rewriting of history going to go? How about the ancient pyramids in Egypt? Are you in favour of them being smashed to pieces and thrown into the River Nile? Once you start down this road there is no end.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Yes, much of that was very positive. Police went out of their way to praise the organisers and most of the protesters for promoting and following government guidance on social distancing, and on the event being almost totally peaceful and respectful.

The Colston statue removal raises a lot of interesting questions about how we treat our history and the messages we want to put out today. Clearly it was a small group out of the full demonstration who took down the statue and dumped it in the Avon. The police will be after them for criminal damage, but they have started a debate that has been missing for too long in Bristol. The city's wealth was based on the slave trade and there are countless references to slave traders in street and place names, the Colston Hall and the rest. This action should focus minds on how Bristol wants to recognise its history, but also who it wants to celebrate and why.

I remember watching a documentary last year that was looking in part at the slave trade legacy in Liverpool - especially street and place names. The black academics, activists and local historians who took part were almost all against re-naming to erase references to the slave trade past. They preferred to see information boards put up that gave information on the people and the trade ( a sort of blue plaque system) so that there was greater understanding and education. So Penny Lane would stay, but there would be a brief information board explaining how James Penny made his fortune - and at what cost to the slaves.
    Isn't there a thing going on with Cecil Rhodes statue in college at Oxford University .

Campaigners wanted the statue torn down, arguing that he represented white supremacy.

I see Churchill's stature was sprated painted with thd words fascist , even though we went to war against one

It's an intresting debate .

How far back is this rewriting of history going to go? How about the ancient pyramids in Egypt? Are you in favour of them being smashed to pieces and thrown into the River Nile? Once you start down this road there is no end.
    Dumped in Bristol Harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Another local Merthyr historian. Who would have thought we’d have so many out of town experts on this forum.

My best mate is Polish he uses that word all the time

Perhaps it’s like the blacks using the N word and reclaiming it.
    Brexit land

That is a terrible comparison. Statue's like this are put up in modern times to glorify historical figures, the pyramids are an ancient structure and should be protected.

Isn't there a thing going on with Cecil Rhodes statue in college at Oxford University .

Campaigners wanted the statue torn down, arguing that he represented white supremacy.

I see Churchill's stature was sprated painted with thd words fascist , even though we went to war against one

It's an intresting debate .
    Yep, but Lenin and Chairman Mao beat them too it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    That is a terrible comparison. Statue's like this are put up in modern times to glorify historical figures, the pyramids are an ancient structure and should be protected.
    I think the discussion about removing statues is a difficult and nuanced one, especially where they have contributed something to society along with the negative things they did. One of those situations I can see from both view points and there are definitely more intelligent people than me on both sides of the debate who can put across much better points than me.

The subtlety and nuance means like other topics it is something that isn’t worth discussing with gluey.

What have the pyramids got to do with this? I wasn't advocating tearing down statues - although I think there is a case for doing that, as part of a communal decision on what deserves to be commemorated - either because of achievement or because of historical significance. I do like the Liverpool idea I described in my earlier post.

Just to be clear though - you would be outraged by any attempt to tear down or hide away any statue to Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin or Robert E Lee? That would just be re-writing history? A slippery slope that leads to demolition of the pyramids?

I'm not sure that you understand hyprocrisy...

What did you say was the difference between the USA protests and the ones in HK that made you side with the protesters in HK but not the USA?
    Hypocrisy

Heisenberg

Hypocrisy
    At least you can now admit it

At least you can now admit it
    Oh and your moral garbled hypocrisy

might put a different statue up in its place, mandela, dorothy height, martin luther king, malcom X, you know someone relevant to the area of Bristol, capture this moment in time ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    might put a different statue up in its place, mandela, dorothy height, martin luther king, malcom X, you know someone relevant to the area of Bristol, capture this moment in time ? ? ?
    Scott Murray..

Heisenberg

Oh and your moral garbled hypocrisy
    Do explain, LoM. You've always had a good way with words...

Go on. I'll wait

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So on average 1.3 black deaths per year in police custody, not nesecatily through police brutality but possibly an underlying health issue. 13 deaths in 10 years. Does that represent a serious issue in this country? No it doesn’t. In fact compared to the previous 10 years and the 90s and the 80s it’s a big drop which must mean we things are improving. Or maybe that’s just coincidence?

I think it’s fair to say these large scale protests we’ve seen, where social distancing has gone out of the window, will take more than 13 black lives, directly and indirectly which is the worst part.
    But according to Sludge that makes you racist. Since the Stephen lawrence incident and inquiry the police have improved a lot, it uncovered a lot of nasty issues at the time and the reform is why I think calling them racist is just ignorant.

They definitely will, more than 13 black lives will be gone in a few weeks because of these protests. The R rate is 1 in the North West I think yet Manchester went ahead with its protest yesterday. I support everyone's right to protest but now really isn't the time, and now I'm even questioning why they're happening after the scenes yesterday, defacing the Cenotaph along with other war memorials whilst attacking the police doesn't help their cause at all.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    How about a statue of the protestors tearing down the statue of Colston? Could be tricky, but I reckon it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Scott Murray..
    good call ticks the box

He is still at Bristol, kit manager now

How about a statue of the protestors tearing down the statue of Colston? Could be tricky, but I reckon it could work.
    just a silly idea, it only has space for one person, maybe a skateboard that they hit it with ? ? ?