+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Heisenberg

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    just a silly idea, it only has space for one person, maybe a skateboard that they hit it with ? ? ?
    Just make the statue really small. Why am I the only ideas man around here? C'mon!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Yes, much of that was very positive. Police went out of their way to praise the organisers and most of the protesters for promoting and following government guidance on social distancing, and on the event being almost totally peaceful and respectful.

The Colston statue removal raises a lot of interesting questions about how we treat our history and the messages we want to put out today. Clearly it was a small group out of the full demonstration who took down the statue and dumped it in the Avon. The police will be after them for criminal damage, but they have started a debate that has been missing for too long in Bristol. The city's wealth was based on the slave trade and there are countless references to slave traders in street and place names, the Colston Hall and the rest. This action should focus minds on how Bristol wants to recognise its history, but also who it wants to celebrate and why.

I remember watching a documentary last year that was looking in part at the slave trade legacy in Liverpool - especially street and place names. The black academics, activists and local historians who took part were almost all against re-naming to erase references to the slave trade past. They preferred to see information boards put up that gave information on the people and the trade ( a sort of blue plaque system) so that there was greater understanding and education. So Penny Lane would stay, but there would be a brief information board explaining how James Penny made his fortune - and at what cost to the slaves.
    Will Churchill be next to be dumped ?, a lot of people think he should be.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Oh and your moral garbled hypocrisy
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Do explain, LoM. You've always had a good way with words...

Go on. I'll wait
    That's that sorted then.

I worked for several years in Bristol in an office in a small side street just off Black Boy Hill which is not far from Whiteladies Road. I was always conscious of the names of those roads which didn't seem to bother the locals - I guess they had grown up with them and didn't think too much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I worked for several years in Bristol in an office in a small side street just off Black Boy Hill which is not far from Whiteladies Road. I was always conscious of the names of those roads which didn't seem to bother the locals - I guess they had grown up with them and didn't think too much about them.
    These locals you worked with who were not offended by the name black boy hill ?

Were they black or white ?

Bristol has a large black population yet there is a lot of racism in the city

I remember a black guy doing an undercover programme for the bbc on racism in bristol , it was shocking

Mr 1992 is back. I thought you were leaving this thread Marty?

I was the same. I lived in digs in Redland when I went to university in 1977 - close to Black Boy Hill - and none of the locals registered the names the way 'outsiders' did. There were constant reminders of the slaving past on street signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    But according to Sludge that makes you racist. Since the Stephen lawrence incident and inquiry the police have improved a lot, it uncovered a lot of nasty issues at the time and the reform is why I think calling them racist is just ignorant.

They definitely will, more than 13 black lives will be gone in a few weeks because of these protests. The R rate is 1 in the North West I think yet Manchester went ahead with its protest yesterday. I support everyone's right to protest but now really isn't the time, and now I'm even questioning why they're happening after the scenes yesterday, defacing the Cenotaph along with other war memorials whilst attacking the police doesn't help their cause at all.
    Stephen Lawrence was definitely a catalyst for change.

The problem is that hasn’t happened in Sludges world yet as he’s still in 1992.

Cardiff City fans are racist because he heard someone chant something racist in 1988.

He probably thinks they are still rioting in Brixton unaware it’s a wonderful, thriving, multi cultural part of London now.

I was the same. I lived in digs in Redland when I went to university in 1977 - close to Black Boy Hill - and none of the locals registered the names the way 'outsiders' did. There were constant reminders of the slaving past on street signs.
    My mate lived in redland, by the high rise flats

He had his stag night in bristol and we walked down the hill from redland into the city centre and ended up in a west indian run club called the tropic

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My mate lived in redland, by the high rise flats

He had his stag night in bristol and we walked down the hill from redland into the city centre and ended up in a west indian run club called the tropic
    The Tropic doesn't ring any bells with me - but it was a long time ago and I can't even remember the name of the road I lived on in Redland. I was in Bristol from 1977-1983 - lived in Redland, Hotwells, Cotham and St Werburghs. Had a great time, but it was time to leave for the bright lights of Sheffield!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Stephen Lawrence was definitely a catalyst for change.

The problem is that hasn’t happened in Sludges world yet as he’s still in 1992.

Cardiff City fans are racist because he heard someone chant something racist in 1988.

He probably thinks they are still rioting in Brixton unaware it’s a wonderful, thriving, multi cultural part of London now.
    I am going to bite as you are behaving like a troll again

Cardiff city fans are not racist on the whole and its utter bollocks to say I have suggested anything otherwise

But plenty of racist behaviour has occurred with cardiff city fans in the years I have been following them

I have already given you the example of a mixed race cardiff city fan who was racially abused by fellow cardiff city fans very recently

He posts on here from time to time but I am not going to name him , it's up to him if he wants to comment

But let's be honest here you were very silly last night when you said you were of chinese origin to suggest you were an ethnic minority then backtracked

Everything you have decided to contribute on the subject of racism has been made to look very stupid and immature , so your comments on racism are not coming from someone who is mixed race , black or chinese , they are coming from a white guy who tells fibs

As for Brixton been there many times , the fridge , the academy , I certainly felt safe there

The Tropic doesn't ring any bells with me - but it was a long time ago and I can't even remember the name of the road I lived on in Redland. I was in Bristol from 1977-1983 - lived in Redland, Hotwells, Cotham and St Werburghs. Had a great time, but it was time to leave for the bright lights of Sheffield!
    I liked ashley down , full of students

I am going to bite as you are behaving like a troll again

Cardiff city fans are not racist on the whole and its utter bollocks to say I have suggested anything otherwise

But plenty of racist behaviour has occurred with cardiff city fans in the years I have been following them

I have already given you the example of a mixed race cardiff city fan who was racially abused by fellow cardiff city fans very recently

He posts on here from time to time but I am not going to name him , it's up to him if he wants to comment

But let's be honest here you were very silly last night when you said you were of chinese origin to suggest you were an ethnic minority then backtracked

Everything you have decided to contribute on the subject of racism has been made to look very stupid and immature , so your comments on racism are not coming from someone who is mixed race , black or chinese , they are coming from a white guy who tells fibs

As for Brixton been there many times , the fridge , the academy , I certainly felt safe there
    Tell fibs? A little sarcasm hurts nobody.

I’d rather pretend to be Chinese for 2 minutes than a mysogonist sex case for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Tell fibs? A little sarcasm hurts nobody.

I’d rather pretend to be Chinese for 2 minutes than a mysogonist sex case for 20 years.
    I am sure the chinese community of south wales are grateful that for two minutes you stepped into their shoes for the sake of anti racism , experiencing for a full two minutes what it's like to suffer from discrimination

I think you should get some kind of award from the race equality council for your efforts in promoting racial harmony

With chinese , sorry white , people out there battling discrimination we can all march forward

Unity is strength !

I would like to shake your hand

You are my number one

I remember a black guy doing an undercover programme for the bbc on racism in bristol , it was shocking
    One was an Indian guy but the rest of us were white as I recall. It was a very small outfit, about 8 of us altogether. It always struck me as a bit odd that they didn't even question the naming of those roads. Personally I would not have liked to have lived on a street called Black Boy Hill and I'm talking 20 years ago now, long before the "black lives matter" campaign.

Having said that though, I know for sure that the boss would not have had any qualms about employing a black person - the company ethos was always to take on who ever was best qualified to do the job on offer. This is why I find it hard to understand that in 2020 there is still apparently widespread racist abuse against black people in this country. (I know you will argue that as I am not black I will never understand). I recently wrote to Sam Gordon the athlete who appeared on BBC Wales news last week complaining about the abuse he suffers expressing the same sentiments and to express my personal regret that he has to endure this stuff.

One was an Indian guy but the rest of us were white as I recall. It was a very small outfit, about 8 of us altogether. It always struck me as a bit odd that they didn't even question the naming of those roads. Personally I would not have liked to have lived on a street called Black Boy Hill and I'm talking 20 years ago now, long before the "black lives matter" campaign.

Having said that though, I know for sure that the boss would not have had any qualms about employing a black person - the company ethos was always to take on who ever was best qualified to do the job on offer. This is why I find it hard to understand that in 2020 there is still apparently widespread racist abuse against black people in this country. (I know you will argue that as I am not black I will never understand). I recently wrote to Sam Gordon the athlete who appeared on BBC Wales news last week complaining about the abuse he suffers expressing the same sentiments and to express my personal regret that he has to endure this stuff.
    No I will argue that as like me as you are white you can be disgusted to hear racist abuse or read about it and you cannot understand why it still takes place and you can try and fight it and report racist abuse if you hear it down the match and you can be a decent person and do what you did and write to that black athlete and apologise for the idiotic and ignorant racists but we cannot ever understand what black people go through when they are racially abused .

I have hardly ever heard racist chants at City games and I go back to 1978 as a "regular". Back in the 80's when it was pretty rife elsewhere, we had black players like the Bennett brothers and Cohen Griffiths who were never racially abused were they, except maybe from the away supporters? Maybe it was because I was in the more "refined" area of NP in those days - the terrace below the grandstand!

Greenbank, Bishopston & Ashley Hill for me. You were there at the time of the St.Paul's riot, same as me. The Tropic was in Stokes Croft, not far from the junction of City Rd & Cheltenham Rd

I have hardly ever heard racist chants at City games and I go back to 1978 as a "regular". Back in the 80's when it was pretty rife elsewhere, we had black players like the Bennett brothers and Cohen Griffiths who were never racially abused were they, except maybe from the away supporters? Maybe it was because I was in the more "refined" area of NP in those days - the terrace below the grandstand!
    To be far I've never heard a racist chants either, lots of homophobic references though.

https://mol.im/a/8397019

Unemployment high

I go back a long time and I have seen racist abuse at ninian park , the cardiff city stadium and away games and have reported it , including a cardiff city fan doing a nazi salute

When I spoke to people from ethnic minorities who were invited to the cardiff city stadium when it opened for a supporters trust and club event many spoke about the racism they had experienced and when I asked a group of somali lads why they only went occasionally to cardiff city games they said they felt uncomfortable and uneasy

They said they loved football , as did their mates

Which does not of course mean that black and asian people are hung at cardiff city matches but given that black and asian kids love football you have to ask the question that given cardiff is very multi racial city why do you see so few black and asian fans at cardiff city ?

Very few local kids from ethnic minorities end up playing for cardiff city yet cardiff rugby has been well represented over the years from black and mixed race players and black rugby players from cardiff have represented bridgend and llanelli

I think the idea that cardiff is some kind of multi racial beacon in sporting and social terms simply isnt true and is perpetuated mostly by the city's white population

In the book goliath the author suggests a denial of racism is part of cardiffs history

Now we do not have in our capital city gangs of black and white youths knifing each other in the street but racism exists in cardiff, no doubt about it , and it always has

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Greenbank, Bishopston & Ashley Hill for me. You were there at the time of the St.Paul's riot, same as me. The Tropic was in Stokes Croft, not far from the junction of City Rd & Cheltenham Rd
    Bad drugs problem there now

Let’s be fair, Sludge...you see or maybe hope to see oppression and racism in so many facets of life.

People like you are to blame for the upswing of the Alt-Right.

Identity Politics is not a good thing.
    The different make ups of intersectionality Or uneasy bed fellows.

The situation for black People in the UK is MASSIVELY different to Black people in the US and to correlate the two shows a lack of understanding at best and is downright patronizing and ugly.
    There certainly are racial tensions in the UK but they would be between Muslims and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Let’s be fair, Sludge...you see or maybe hope to see oppression and racism in so many facets of life.

People like you are to blame for the upswing of the Alt-Right.

Identity Politics is not a good thing.
    The different make ups of intersectionality Or uneasy bed fellows.

The situation for black People in the UK is MASSIVELY different to Black people in the US and to correlate the two shows a lack of understanding at best and is downright patronizing and ugly.
    There certainly are racial tensions in the UK but they would be between Muslims and everyone else.
    I have to disagree , the alt right have always been there and people who protest against racism are not to blame for people behaving in a racist way

I hope to see the end of racism, I certainly dont hope to see it happening

There are racial tensions in our back yard , the somali community in cardiff has experienced racism for many many years