+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice for George Floyd petition

Re: Justice for George Floyd petition

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I thought Gary Linekar was spot-on yesterday when he said supporters of political parties or more so if they were left or right wing, whatever your viewpoints, have become more tribal than football supporters.

He said at least football supporters can admit when their team have had a stinker and concede ground, but in politics it appears to be impossible for people to give any ground whatsoever and will try and defend the indefensible. On both sides people have become so extreme in their views that there is little chance of unity at the moment.
    What about people who are just curious about the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The truth? Pah! The truth is overated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has walls, and those have to be guarded by men with guns.

I thought Gary Linekar was spot-on yesterday when he said supporters of political parties or more so if they were left or right wing, whatever your viewpoints, have become more tribal than football supporters.

He said at least football supporters can admit when their team have had a stinker and concede ground, but in politics it appears to be impossible for people to give any ground whatsoever and will try and defend the indefensible. On both sides people have become so extreme in their views that there is little chance of unity at the moment.

To be fair, croesy blue has been saying that on here for many months.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's true, people are afraid to criticise anything they've voted for.

You only have to look at vegetarian Bluematt defending choloronated chicken just because he voted for brexit. If we keep going this way politicians won't ever be held for account properly again because the only people speaking out against them would be the ones who never voted for them anyway.

I'm sure people had plenty of good reasons for voting brexit but I'd be surprised if what we've ended up with is anywhere near what any of them actually wanted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-529...ying-every-day

Oh really? Like the average of 430 people a day who died of the COVID 19 pandemic in the UK? Oh come on please....a typical inflammatory headline from the media.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I dont believe it. Croesy Blue is the enemy. I wont concede any ground.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-529...ying-every-day

Oh really? Like the average of 430 people a day who died of the COVID 19 pandemic in the UK? Oh come on please....a typical inflammatory headline from the media.
    It's a direct quote though

Does the young lady say that only black people are dying and people in the UK aren't dying of Covid-19? If she did, I can see why you're non-plussed about it. (Spoiler: she said that there were two pandemics going on at the moment)

I'm getting the feeling that you just read the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's a direct quote though

Does the young lady say that only black people are dying and people in the UK aren't dying of Covid-19? If she did, I can see why you're non-plussed about it. (Spoiler: she said that there were two pandemics going on at the moment)

I'm getting the feeling that you just read the headline.
    People who just read the headline and then have a strong opinion are my other biggest annoyance

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's true, people are afraid to criticise anything they've voted for.

You only have to look at vegetarian Bluematt defending choloronated chicken just because he voted for brexit. If we keep going this way politicians won't ever be held for account properly again because the only people speaking out against them would be the ones who never voted for them anyway.

I'm sure people had plenty of good reasons for voting brexit but I'd be surprised if what we've ended up with is anywhere near what any of them actually wanted.
    We haven't left the EU.

I dont believe it. Croesy Blue is the enemy. I wont concede any ground.
    Yeah I thought twice about sharing that

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My mate lived in redland, by the high rise flats

He had his stag night in bristol and we walked down the hill from redland into the city centre and ended up in a west indian run club called the tropic
    Redland is one of the poshest parts of Bristol, high rise flats.....nope

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Greenbank, Bishopston & Ashley Hill for me. You were there at the time of the St.Paul's riot, same as me. The Tropic was in Stokes Croft, not far from the junction of City Rd & Cheltenham Rd
    Did that become Lakota?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Redland is one of the poshest parts of Bristol, high rise flats.....nope
    Redfield sorry , my mate lived on the edge of Barton hill, st lawrence

Rough

Spoke to a friend in bristol today

Loads of people have been trying to get rid of that statue of the slave trader colston for years

Massive attack and most of the bristol bands refuse to play at the colston hall due to its name and links to slavery

The Colston trust is a charity in bristol that you can apply for Grants to

Most of the major charities in bristol dont have anything to do with it

Good on em

I wonder if the city council will put a new statue up ?

I cant see it happening

Out to protect the cenotaphs.

Plymouth Argyle "lads" were pictured outside the cenotaph they were "protecting" in Plymouth yesterday. I hope they did a better job protecting it than they did the top of that hill in the 90s but you would know more about that than me. I only heard the story second hand and every time the story was told by our mutual friend he added another 20 Plymouth on.
    I walked through the carnage of that , it was no exaggeration

Redfield sorry , my mate lived on the edge of Barton hill, st lawrence

Rough
    The local pub was called the pack horse, very intimidating place . My mate had just got his first job after graduating from bristol and he and his flat mate went in there for a game of pool and got threatened by a bloke after his girlfriend told him to kill them

They didnt go back

Spoke to a friend in bristol today

Loads of people have been trying to get rid of that statue of the slave trader colston for years

Massive attack and most of the bristol bands refuse to play at the colston hall due to its name and links to slavery

The Colston trust is a charity in bristol that you can apply for Grants to

Most of the major charities in bristol dont have anything to do with it

Good on em

I wonder if the city council will put a new statue up ?

I cant see it happening

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ol-music-trust

Bristol Music Trust has committed to changing the name of Colston Hall, the city’s flagship concert venue, by the autumn following the removal of the Edward Colston statue in the city centre during last weekend’s Black Lives Matter protest.

Until the new name is announced, the trust has said the external signage on the building is being removed “as a demonstration of our commitment”. The trust has clarified that the venue was built in 1867, 146 years after Colston died, and not founded using his money.

In 2017, the trust announced plans to change the building’s name by spring 2020. Chief executive Louise Mitchell described the Colston name as “a toxic brand”. A consultation process involving 4,000 people from communities across the city was delayed owing to the coronavirus outbreak.

The venue, which stands on Colston Street, is currently closed for a multimillion-pound redevelopment “The current name does not reflect our values as a progressive, forward-thinking and open arts organisation,” the trust said in a statement. “We want it to be representative of the city, a beacon of its values of hope, diversity and inclusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ol-music-trust

Bristol Music Trust has committed to changing the name of Colston Hall, the city’s flagship concert venue, by the autumn following the removal of the Edward Colston statue in the city centre during last weekend’s Black Lives Matter protest.

Until the new name is announced, the trust has said the external signage on the building is being removed “as a demonstration of our commitment”. The trust has clarified that the venue was built in 1867, 146 years after Colston died, and not founded using his money.

In 2017, the trust announced plans to change the building’s name by spring 2020. Chief executive Louise Mitchell described the Colston name as “a toxic brand”. A consultation process involving 4,000 people from communities across the city was delayed owing to the coronavirus outbreak.

The venue, which stands on Colston Street, is currently closed for a multimillion-pound redevelopment “The current name does not reflect our values as a progressive, forward-thinking and open arts organisation,” the trust said in a statement. “We want it to be representative of the city, a beacon of its values of hope, diversity and inclusion.”
    There is a bust of sir thomas picton , a slave trader , in cardiff hall

The mayor of cardiff has asked for it to be removed

Hes got a point

Out to protect the cenotaphs.

Plymouth Argyle "lads" were pictured outside the cenotaph they were "protecting" in Plymouth yesterday. I hope they did a better job protecting it than they did the top of that hill in the 90s but you would know more about that than me. I only heard the story second hand and every time the story was told by our mutual friend he added another 20 Plymouth on.
    I hope he did a take of the famous line in Zulu, "Central Element Sir... Thousands of 'em!"

Still makes me chuckle that as we walking up that hill, their pub emptied and their lot actually stopped at the lights. Not paying heed to the lessons delivered by Tufty and the lack of adherence to the Green Cross Code certainly helped in getting your retaliation in first on that day.

There is a bust of sir thomas picton , a slave trader , in cardiff hall

The mayor of cardiff has asked for it to be removed

Hes got a point
    Will there be a call next for places like Auschwitz to be demolished ? These places and statues should always remain, as a constant reminder to each generation of what kind of evil mankind can portray.
    Its called the history of the world so far, and trying to erase it is like trying to deny it ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Will there be a call next for places like Auschwitz to be demolished ? These places and statues should always remain, as a constant reminder to each generation of what kind of evil mankind can portray.
    Its called the history of the world so far, and trying to erase it is like trying to deny it ever happened.
    Cultural marxism is the rewriting of history.

I'm from most of your generations. Cardiff was/is multi cultural because of the docks i guess (please correct me)
    In our school we had a few black guys, one from cyncoed and one from pennsylvania.
    The guy from Penn was renamed Onga,Don't tell me that we are not a bunch of racists

Auschwitz stands as a witness to the consequences of evil not the glorification of it. The Nazi symbols have been rightly demolished. I think there is a relevant point you are trying to make about why people were recognised in a time and a place but not sure it is this one!

I dont know if there will be calls for Auschwitz to be demolished

You think that the colston statue should have remained ?

That's fine , that's your opinion

But many many people want reminders of oppression removed

It's a difficult question

In the case of the colston statue in bristol the rule of the mob has won the day

Right or wrong , that's what has happened

I doubt very much if this statue would have been taken down if these protests hadn't gone ahead