Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    14 Kelvin Etuhu
    Correct

Re: Assorted Football Quiz Questions 14

I'll go with Tony Capaldi for 8

I'll go with Tony Capaldi for 8
    Very well worked out. I wasn’t expecting much Traffic on this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Very well worked out. I wasn't expecting much Traffic on this question.
    That was one random question, even by your standards.

11 is tricky. There is a Kanu chair, is that it?

That was one random question, even by your standards.

11 is tricky. There is a Kanu chair, is that it?
    I thought that, researching 40,000 Headmen would easily lead you to Traffic and then Jim Capaldi but perhaps my musical taste obscures my expectation of how questions are perceived. In terms of No 11 it is a nickname of a Portsmouth player but not Kanu

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I thought that, researching 40,000 Headmen would easily lead you to Traffic and then Jim Capaldi but perhaps my musical taste obscures my expectation of how questions are perceived. In terms of No 11 it is a nickname of a Portsmouth player but not Kanu
    Bouba Diop's nickname was The Wardrobe.

Great questions, as always. Thanks.

JFH had about as much movement as a wardrobe during the game.

Is the final correct answer

Here are the answers to the questions - well done to everyone who had a go.

Which current member of the City squad do you associate with Tony Macaroni ?

1. Livingston FC play at the Almondvale Stadium which, as a result of sponsorship, is now known as the Tony Macaroni Arena. As a result of thus sponsorship Livingston fans now call their ground “The Spaghettihad”. Ciaron Brown has been on loan there this season

2. He played for us in the noughties, he left us to the join the club who sold him to us and he finished his career with The Swans - who is he ?

We signed Richard Langley from QPR for £250,000 in 2003 and, at the end of his contract he returned there but only lasted a season. After doing his ACL in 2007 it was all down hill and his final club in 2012 was Staines Town who are the most important team to be nicknamed “The Swans”

3. In 2020 which former City player played in a game known traditionally as the “Eternal Derby” ?

In Croatia the Eternal Derby is between Dinamo Zagreb and Hadjuk Split and on Dinamo Zagreb’s books this season is Kévin Théophile-Catherine - French Kev !

4. Unsalaried censor

An anagram of Andreas Cornelius - of the few goals he has scored in his career I wonder if his effort against the mighty FGR stands out in his mind ?

5. He joined us from The Ding and played under the same manager for 3 different clubs - who is he ?

I must admit I had never heard of Yeading ( nicknamed “The Ding”) until we signed Charlie Oatway. He came here in 2004 and when Eddie May moved on to Torquay and Brentford he made sure that both clubs provided contracts for Charlie long enough to get his plethora of middle names on.

6. Watching his Cardiff City career was like Waiting for Godot and his name appears in the title of a Famous Five novel by Enid Blyton - who is he ?

Samuel Beckett’s play Waiting for Godot is famous for the fact that the title character never turns up which very much reflects Lee Camp’s City career. There is an Enid Blyton novel called “Five Go Off to Camp” where, no doubt, Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog saw more of him than we did. There is also as Famous Five novel called “Five on Finniston Farm”. Older posters may recall Steve Finnieston who played for us on loan from Chelsea in 1974/75 but, as the spelling is slightly different, I excluded him from the answer.

7. His name is Rocky and he was a Wasp and a Tusker - who is he ?

What’s that coming over the hill it’s Rocky Michael Chopra ! His last 2 clubs were Alloa Athletic ( The Wasps) and Kerala Blasters ( The Tuskers).

8. Honour 40,000 Headmen

Perhaps I got carried away somewhat here with my enthusiasm for the band Traffic. 40,000 Headmen is a well known track by said band for whom Jim Capaldi played drums and also wrote lyrics in partnership with Steve Winwood including the track 40,000 Headmen. Honour in the sense of a prize is Tony - hence Tony Capaldi !

Anyway, here is the track 40,000 Headmen from the Traffic live album “Welcome to the Canteen” which was a famous gig in 1971 as the proceeds went to the Oz Benefit Fund following the famous obscenity trial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1Hz8S2qhs

9. Prior to joining is in the noughties he had been with Royal Antwerp - who is he ?

Tom Heaton started his football career with Wrexham but signed for Manure as a trainee. From there he was loaned out to 6 clubs including us and the club he was loaned to immediately prior to us was Royal Antwerp.

10. Which 2019/20 Bluebird is an Antigua and Barbuda international ?

Not Cardiff City, not Barrow but Chippenham Town - who are also The Bluebirds. Ex city player Nathaniel Jarvis now a Wiltshire Bluebird. Whilst at Cirencester Town in 2014 he won his first cap for Antigua and Barbuda against the mighty Anguilla.

11. What is the link between the 2008 FA Cup Final and an item of furniture ?

Portsmouth’s Papa Bouba Diop rejoiced in the nickname of “The Wardrobe”

12. Which former City player has a diphthong is his name ?

Mats Møller Dæhli not only has a diphthong in his name but also a monophthongal close-mid front rounded vowel as well ! He is currently playing for Genk in Belgium who are nicknamed “The Smurfs” - seems appropriate.

13. Fitzwilliam Quentin

Fitzwilliam is the first name of Mr Darcy of Pride and Prejudice fame and Quentin Blake is the illustrator of the works of Raold Dahl - Darcy Blake - what a waste !

14. He served an 8 month jail sentence for assault and his brother was found guilty of match fixing - who is he ?

Kelvin Etuhu - released by Man City in March 2011 when he was jailed. His brother Dickson found guilty of match fixing in Sweden in 2019.

15. He played 178 times for the City and he as a surname that is also a London Borough - who is he ?

Mel Sutton -he ran all day and took no prisoners in the tackle. After leaving us played over 400 times for Wrexham