+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Gatherings' - I've lost track...

Re: 'Gatherings' - I've lost track...

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Maybe they are so old they don’t give a sh**? My mother’s a bit like that....I’ve had a good life she says, if I go I go
    I had a brief chat with one of my pensioner neighbours last weekend. Her and another neighbour were happily chatting away about two feet from each other when I arrived. I mentioned social distancing, but she said: “Oh, I don’t believe in that any more.”

There was no answer to that really. Lots of people around here seem to have given up on the notion of social distancing in recent weeks. The change in attitude has been noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Today's announcements that people can gather in groups of six (England) or eight (Scotland) from tomorrow (Scotland) and Monday (England) led me to wonder exactly what the rules are in Wales right now because, to be honest, I lost track a while back after each country's government started doing their own thing.

According to the Welsh government's guidance on their website, their intention is to prohibit all public gatherings of more than two people. The exercise guidelines on the same web pages suggest people in Wales should only exercise alone or with members of their own household, but in terms of 'gatherings' the guidance talks about stopping more than two people, except when those people are members of the same household or are attending funerals, carrying out essential work, giving emergency assistance, etc.

Does this therefore mean that, throughout the lockdown, I could have met up with a friend or relative from another household in a public space provided we had kept two metres apart? If that's not the case, then why does the guidance talk about prohibiting gatherings of more than two people?

I want to point out that I'm genuinely not looking to score any political points here - I'm pretty sure the current guidance in Wales is the same as was being given to people in England until fairly recently, and from a personal perspective I believe that both the Westminster government and the Welsh government have been utterly hopeless in their handling of this crisis. It's just that, to me, regulations that prohibit gatherings of more than two people would suggest that 'gatherings' of just two people are acceptable, when I've believed all along that they aren't.

https://gov.wales/staying-home-and-away-others-guidance
    It's not been changed unless the legislation website isn't up to date although the latest amendments around recycling centres are in there which was the 11th May.

Does this therefore mean that, throughout the lockdown, I could have met up with a friend or relative from another household in a public space provided we had kept two metres apart? If that's not the case, then why does the guidance talk about prohibiting gatherings of more than two people?

I don't think you could have met someone as earlier paras in the reg prohibit leaving the house for most things other than exercise extra unless alone or with members of your house or carer. Without reading through the lot it could be a bit of a catch all around incidental meetings or a clumsily bit of legislation which would come as no surprise given the speed it was written.

You could meet, but not arrange to meet.

If you both happened to walk the same route every day at the same time, though in opposite directions, and stopped to talk when you saw each other, while socially distanced, that would be ok.

If you arranged to meet at that spot and went there to do so, that would be in breach of the rules.

It is somewhat nuanced, to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    You could meet, but not arrange to meet.

If you both happened to walk the same route every day at the same time, though in opposite directions, and stopped to talk when you saw each other, while socially distanced, that would be ok.

If you arranged to meet at that spot and went there to do so, that would be in breach of the rules.

It is somewhat nuanced, to say the least!
    Just apply Cummins law

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I had a brief chat with one of my pensioner neighbours last weekend. Her and another neighbour were happily chatting away about two feet from each other when I arrived. I mentioned social distancing, but she said: “Oh, I don’t believe in that any more.”

There was no answer to that really. Lots of people around here seem to have given up on the notion of social distancing in recent weeks. The change in attitude has been noticeable.
    This is why track and trace won't work here. If people get an alert (assuming they've even downloaded the app) telling them they've been in contact with a carrier and they need to self isolate for a week when they feel fine, it won't happen in most cases