+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BANDS OR ACTS DISAPPOINTING LIVE

Re: BANDS OR ACTS DISAPPOINTING LIVE

Simple Minds Milton Keynes Bowl 1986 - it was a wonder Kerr could sing he was so far up his own backside (I am biased I don't like them and only went cos of a girl)
    Another for the Stereophonics
    The Fall at St Davids Hall 199 something - wrong venue for that sort of thing
    Gene Loves Jezebel Cardiff Students Union 1986 ish - Gash
    and finally and I've seen him a few times and everytime it was brilliant but....

David Bowie The Glass Spider tour 1987 cardiff arms Park - I just don't have fond memories of it

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They played at the Mercury Lounge? That must have been amazing. Was it a secret show or something?
    I remember it was invite only think it might have been a end of tour party or something, I was running around with a guy called Adam Peters at the time who arranged a lot of the Bunnymens music over the years, I see he won an Oscar a few years back for some film theme. I also remember Will Sargent being really cool but Ian McCulloch being really special and different type.
    Oh NYC before they turned it into Disneyland.

I forgot the Fall. I've seen them a few times. Very hit and miss. The last time I saw them was about 2007 and it was a complete mess. The first time I saw them was at Brixton Fridge in 1983 and they were ****ing amazing. That should be on my great gigs list.

U2 at Cardiff Arms Park on the Zooropa Tour.
    It was as if they’d played too many gigs and were just bored of it all and besides - it was only Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Prefab Sprout, Cardiff University, November 1985 - beautiful songs, but weirdly anaemic when I saw them. There is even a bootleg online that you can listen to....
    I saw them at St Davids hall in 89 or 90, brilliant song writer is Paddy mcaloon and beautiful songs, they just don't seem to make that crossover to medium-large venues.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Simple Minds Milton Keynes Bowl 1986 - it was a wonder Kerr could sing he was so far up his own backside (I am biased I don't like them and only went cos of a girl)
    and finally and I've seen him a few times and everytime it was brilliant but....

David Bowie The Glass Spider tour 1987 cardiff arms Park - I just don't have fond memories of it
    Most of the gigs in the ols arms park-Mill stad are a bit shit, it's like dancing about to loud music emanating from a builders scaffolding three houses down. I've always felt like a bit of a prick at stadium concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Last year I went to see Nick Mason’s Saucer full of Secrets at the Roundhouse.
    Arguably, the worst few hours of watching entertainment I have experienced ,along with Les Miserables, but at least there is a warning in the name of that show!
    In fairness, I was never into Pink Floyd and those that were throughly enjoyed the whole thing.
    Bizarrely, one of the guitarists was the fella from Spandau Ballet and they were fantastic when I saw them years ago.
    I saw him in St David's Hall last May and thought he/they was/were superb. Mind you, you have to be in to the very early Pink Floyd stuff to appreciate it. I was due to go again this week, but put off until October. This band has been a bit of a cult event and tickets this year were £50 , up from last year's £35. They sell out everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I saw him in St David's Hall last May and thought he/they was/were superb. Mind you, you have to be in to the very early Pink Floyd stuff to appreciate it. I was due to go again this week, but put off until October. This band has been a bit of a cult event and tickets this year were £50 , up from last year's £35. They sell out everywhere.
    COBBLERS

The Bootsy/George Clinton/Mothership/Funkadelic things. Birmingham Odean. 1980ish. A friend described it as like listening to 4 hours of hoovering, which was about right.

Paul Weller. Zurich 1983. He had the hump I think because he found himself in a very small venue with a very small crowd. Came across as a real arrogant prick. Have disliked him since.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

The Fall at St Davids Hall was an odd experience. Not a massive crowd, some of whom gathered in front of the stage to try to generate some sort of atmosphere. I couldn't even join them as I was in crutches at the time so just sat further back.
    Also saw them at The Globe a couple of years - Mark E Smith performed the encore sat in the doorway to the dressing rooms at the back of the stage.

My mrs

I've seen many a great gig in my time, but some real turkeys too.

Off the top of my head:

THE CLASH - CARDIFF UNIVERSITY, NOV '77. The band were totally out of tune, couldn't play their instruments and none of them could sing a note between them. Strummer totally murdered the reggae classic, Junior Murvin's 'Police & Thieves, by barking his way through the song. Just awful, really awful

2/IGGY POP - CARDIFF UNIVERSITY - MAY '79. I'm a huge, huge Iggy fan, but this gig was the pits. Iggy seemed somewhat off his face, and spent the entire concert with his hands down his pants playing with himself. The set was mercifully short thank goodness.

3/ANVIL - ST DAVID'S HALL '83 (as support Motorhead). Lips of Anvil produced a dildo to play a guitar solo. Cue loads of teenbopper haedbangers down the front going nuts. For me the most cringe inducing moment I have ever witnessed at a gig.

4/VIRUS/CREATOR/CELTIC FROST - RITZY'S CARDIFF - OCT '87 - Three reasons why i can't stand thrash metal. None of the feckers possessed an actual vocalist who could sing. All three bands possessed guitarists who might well be great guitarists, but all three widdly widdly wank wanked up and down their respective fretboards all night. Just plain boring

5/THE ORB - CARDIFF UNIVERSITY '93. Might as well as stayed at home and listened to their first two LPs, it was as boring as feck.

6/IN FLAMES - CARDIFF UNIVERSITY '07 (AS SUPPORT TO MOTORHEAD) I'm pretty sure they played the same long turgid song for their entire 40 minute set.

There are probably a few others lurking at the back of my mind, I'll have to try and have a think....

Tubeway Army, Cambridge Corn Exchange 1978. I think they were the support act for someone. I can't remember who the someone was, but I remember that I thought Tubeway Army were awful

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Tubeway Army, Cambridge Corn Exchange 1978. I think they were the support act for someone. I can't remember who the someone was, but I remember that I thought Tubeway Army were awful
    If it was 1978 it would have been at least six months before they had their first hit, so I guess you weren't too disappointed.

Where do I start

A common theme will become clear from the below, but I wouldn't attribute it purely to the venue...

Oasis - Noise & Confusion 2005. They were just crap... Foo Fighters supporting, and whilst not a huge fan, acknowledged they were good.

Stereophonics - A Day at the Races. Due to foot and mouth it was moved into the stadium, it was around the time JEEP came out and they were dull, not worth getting covered in piss for. Support however again much better, The Crocketts and Ash. Nobody knew who Black Crowes were!

The Police - Jeez, middle of the winter, freezing cold, all seated. I was in the middle tier and made my way over to some restricted view corner seats after two songs and just got wrecked to salvage a night of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If it was 1978 it would have been at least six months before they had their first hit, so I guess you weren't too disappointed.
    Well, I would have been happier if they had been better, but I didn't have great expectations.