+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: UK Covid-19 death figures

Re: UK Covid-19 death figures

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    The quote from the shadow Welsh health minister was about testing kits involving Wales, you are talking about some Jock referring to PPE, who by the way knows porthcawl about Wales and our arrangements.

As regards PPE
    https://nation.cymru/news/uk-governm...rs-in-england/
    That is straight from the horses mouth, straight from the company, not some manager paid a fortune by the NHS who might have a vested interest, not a politician for a devolved administration or the UK Government but straight from the company, I can put a link/screen shot up to their website if you don't believe the article.
    Your original post referred to PPE. The quote was from a person directly involved with the supply of PPE. If that story was accurate it would not have died a death so quickly. The Company you refer to is not the only supplier of PPE. I don't understand your Porthcawl references.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Your original post referred to PPE. The quote was from a person directly involved with the supply of PPE. If that story was accurate it would not have died a death so quickly. The Company you refer to is not the only supplier of PPE. I don't understand your Porthcawl references.
    The chief executive of Public Health Wales confirmed to the Senedd committee that the Roche deal collapsed because of Westminster Government interference.
    We was therefore gazumped out of thousands of test kits.

As regards care homes we were refused PPE, a person running Welsh care homes was told by a supplier that they were only to provide certain stock to England, that person running care homes in Wales tried two different providers but to no avail.

Porthcawl is more polite than saying f*ck all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So let's get this straight: you understand and don't dispute that the UK government has been central and pivotal to the policies that have been implemented throughout the UK to tackle Covid-19, and you understand and don't dispute that the public in Wales and the rest of the UK have been guided as much by the UK government in Westminster as they have by any of the devolved administrations, but nevertheless you are steadfastly maintaining that the UK government bears no responsibility whatsoever for the Covid-19 situation in Wales.

I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you can't see the contradiction in what you're saying.

I don’t think we are ever going to see eye to eye on this. Yes, all you say about UK gov guiding the devolved governments is right, and those governments can accept or reject the guidance. If they accept and follow and it all goes pear shape, who is responsible.?

When it comes to health in Wales the Senedd carries the can not UK gov. If it wasn’t so there would be no point in devolution.
    You can point the finger of blame at UK gov, just as you are doing, but it is the Senedd that is legally obliged to have control over the healthcare of the population, and therefore is legally responsible.

Seen the above the other day, shockingly bad for the UK, although it focuses on England which is the worst in the World by some measures apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Covid Act 2020 became law 25 March

Public Health 1984 act applied Wales and England, so Wales could use it any time. Other home countries accomodated by the Covid Act. Its an act in its own right, and a powerful at that.
    I’m not disputing when the Covid Act was passed. I’m saying that the UK Govt passed other Covid specific legislation in early February so knew it was an issue but never acted.

The Public Health Act does not allow for the things passed in the Covid Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I’m not disputing when the Covid Act was passed. I’m saying that the UK Govt passed other Covid specific legislation in early February so knew it was an issue but never acted.

The Public Health Act does not allow for the things passed in the Covid Act.
    The public health act gives comprehensive guidance for control of infectious diseases. The Covid act, separate and supplemental in many ways.

The public health act gives comprehensive guidance for control of infectious diseases. The Covid act, separate and supplemental in many ways.
    Public Health Act does not allow for a lock down like the Covid Act.

Are you not disputing that as the Govt passed Covid related legislation in in Feb they delayed too long in passing subsequent legislation?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Public Health Act does not allow for a lock down like the Covid Act.

Are you not disputing that as the Govt passed Covid related legislation in in Feb they delayed too long in passing subsequent legislation?
    No, I’m not disputing that. I didn’t know that there was earlier legislation. Regarding the Public health act 1984, whilst what we all a lockdown is not mention, many of the elements are included.....Airports, large gatherings, school closures etc

No, I’m not disputing that. I didn’t know that there was earlier legislation. Regarding the Public health act 1984, whilst what we all a lockdown is not mention, many of the elements are included.....Airports, large gatherings, school closures etc
    But specific places that a magistrate can force closure for the control of diseases. They'd have to lay a hell of a lot of restrictions to lockdown the UK. Hence the Public Health Act is the vehicle for emergencies such as this and the further regulations laid in 2020 allow the complete closure.

I agree with you it serves a job but its not for UK wide pandemics. Its for an outbreak of Legionnaires disease etc on a ship / airport / school etc so small areas can be closed down by the Local Authority. Unless you think that LAs should have handled it all.

For info the The Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020 was originally laid on Feb 10th. It allowed the detention of individuals with Coronavirus and a criminal offence for those not complying with.

Which makes me think they didn't believe it would be as bad as it turned out.

https://nation.cymru/news/ofcom-and-...s-on-covid-19/

Polls show Welsh Government far more trusted than UK Government over Covid

Must say I'm surprised by that high rating for the Welsh Government, but reassured by the findings on Johnson.

Banned

It's like the farce over the compulsory wearing of face masks on public transport. They are not really following the science on that one, there is little evidence that mass wearing of face masks will lead to a significant lowering of the rate of infection. The Government admitted that today, so it is window dressing. The Welsh Government the only one, at present, not recommending the use of face masks.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Must say I'm surprised by that high rating for the Welsh Government, but reassured by the findings on Johnson.
    But wouldn't you expect that kind of result from a welsh poll? I'm surprised Johnson's rating is that high.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But wouldn't you expect that kind of result from a welsh poll? I'm surprised Johnson's rating is that high.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    It's like the farce over the compulsory wearing of face masks on public transport. They are not really following the science on that one, there is little evidence that mass wearing of face masks will lead to a significant lowering of the rate of infection. The Government admitted that today, so it is window dressing. The Welsh Government the only one, at present, not recommending the use of face masks.
    I disagree with that, hasn’t wearing a mask been shown to help stop you spreading it if you already have it by around 90%.

If you don’t have it, it only really stops you catching it by 10%.

But since it’s quite likely people might have it without realising it, wearing it on public transport should be quite useful.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I disagree with that, hasn’t wearing a mask been shown to help stop you spreading it if you already have it by around 90%.

But since it’s quite likely people might have it without realising it, wearing it on public transport should be quite useful.
    And as on public transport the social distancing 2 metre rule won't be enforceable the mask adds some protection for close encounters. (Third or other kind )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

The science is quite sketchy on it. There are arguments that it lulls people into a false sense of security which sees them drop other preventative measures (such as social distancing and hand washing). Ordinarily, I would say it won't cause any harm, the impact is said to be minimal. I've seen people just dumping their gloves and face masks in trolleys and leaving them for others to clean up too.

Best thing about the face mask, I think, is that it stops subconscious nose and mouth touching.