+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Protesting, and the power of the media.

Re: Protesting, and the power of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatealiens2 View Post
    Many people would be surprised to hear there were 1900 injuries during the french protests including 24 eyes lost and five hands removed among other horrific injuries and even some deaths although there is some argument whether those deaths were directly attributed to the protests. I guess what I'm trying to say is that by comparison there is a huge disparity in TV coverage between the American and French protests and I am posing the question why that would be the case? Makes no sense to me. Which is why I now prefer to do my own research rather than watch distorted TV coverage.
    Yes it's a very good question, I think the right wing run most Governments across the World, the media are mainly on the right and it doesn't sit well to have populist riots in a right wing country, unless the rioters are left wing then that could be spun that the rioters are baddies or if the rioters are protesting against a left wing Government then that can be protrayed as the rioters are persecuted.
    In America the rioters in the main are being protrayed as left wing (apparently there are right wing agitators in the mix causing trouble) so it's getting reported.

Many people would be surprised to hear there were 1900 injuries during the french protests including 24 eyes lost and five hands removed among other horrific injuries and even some deaths although there is some argument whether those deaths were directly attributed to the protests. I guess what I'm trying to say is that by comparison there is a huge disparity in TV coverage between the American and French protests and I am posing the question why that would be the case? Makes no sense to me. Which is why I now prefer to do my own research rather than watch distorted TV coverage.
    I think it's a cultural thing. How much news of any description (good or bad) do we see regarding our closest neighbours? Very little in respect of France, The Netherlands and Belgium. How many people in Dover know much about what is happening twenty miles away in Calais?

There's been wall to wall TV coverage of the George Floyd protests for a week now. Yet there were also protests in France and some other countries for a year by the Gilet Jaune with tens of thousands protesting each weekend sometimes in the hundreds of thousands (high numbers injured and some deaths) ,yet virtually no TV coverage. Strange that innit? I wonder why?
    Where are you getting your news?! It was on non stop, we even had the british far right start wear the same vests after it

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Where are you getting your news?! It was on non stop, we even had the british far right start wear the same vests after it
    Lots of observers commented and articles were written about the lack of coverage of the French riots that it merited, it should have been wall to wall coverage for months, for some reason it was under reported and people are trying to work out why.

There's been wall to wall TV coverage of the George Floyd protests for a week now. Yet there were also protests in France and some other countries for a year by the Gilet Jaune with tens of thousands protesting each weekend sometimes in the hundreds of thousands (high numbers injured and some deaths) ,yet virtually no TV coverage. Strange that innit? I wonder why?
    a) The Gilet Jaune protests were very well covered, please see this link as a breakdown of just some of the times they were featured in reports, with links to clips https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...-vest-protests

b) As you've said, the Black Lives Matter protests have been going on for 5 days, if you think they'll still be getting the same amount of coverage as they are now if they're still going on in a month then you've got a very poor understanding of how news cycles work, especially when it comes to things that happen outside of this country. Add to that they're mostly happening in the country we're culturally closest to and it doesn't really take anyone who's not a complete idiot to understand why it's leading the news at the moment.

c) I'll tell you what is strange "innit", you've literally made something up - "virtually no TV coverage" - just so you can be negative about the BLM protests. But rather than saying that you don't like seeing those black people protest because you know that's not really a good look for you, you've tried to be clever and gone "yeah but what about this, isn't that interesting, I wonder why that is hmmm ehhhh?."

d) Don't ever try to be clever again, it's gone awfully for you.

There's also the fact that civil rights movements should be huge news.

By comparison yes. If you were to ask the ordinary man in the street if they knew anything about Gilet Jaune most would say they have never heard of it. There was plenty of stuff on the internet about Gilet Jaune much of it since removed.
    Probably the elders of the internet who removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    a) The Gilet Jaune protests were very well covered, please see this link as a breakdown of just some of the times they were featured in reports, with links to clips https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...-vest-protests

b) As you've said, the Black Lives Matter protests have been going on for 5 days, if you think they'll still be getting the same amount of coverage as they are now if they're still going on in a month then you've got a very poor understanding of how news cycles work, especially when it comes to things that happen outside of this country. Add to that they're mostly happening in the country we're culturally closest to and it doesn't really take anyone who's not a complete idiot to understand why it's leading the news at the moment.

c) I'll tell you what is strange "innit", you've literally made something up - "virtually no TV coverage" - just so you can be negative about the BLM protests. But rather than saying that you don't like seeing those black people protest because you know that's not really a good look for you, you've tried to be clever and gone "yeah but what about this, isn't that interesting, I wonder why that is hmmm ehhhh?."

d) Don't ever try to be clever again, it's gone awfully for you.
    I read the link as damning about the coverage, first of all they recognise a widely held view that there was a lack of coverage that is why they looked into it, secondly they don't seem to dispute the accusation of a lack of coverage, they say that certain news channels covered the story on certain days but that with respect to them misses the point that the situation merited far more coverage for far longer periods than actually happened, also I remember at the time from social media and some more obscure news outlets people talking about serious incidents that was not getting reported by the main stream media over here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    I read the link as damning about the coverage
    But of course you did, you're you. You're the type of person who can see someone saying there's been "virtually no tv coverage" and then be shown evidence of loads of tv coverage and say it proves that there was no virtually no tv coverage. Which is one of the many reason why it's pointless talking to you.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    But of course you did, you're you. You're the type of person who can see someone saying there's been "virtually no tv coverage" and then be shown evidence of loads of tv coverage and say it proves that there was no virtually no tv coverage. Which is one of the many reason why it's pointless talking to you.
    I don't agree that there was virtually no tv coverage, but I don't think there was as much tv coverage as there should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    People in the UK are not failing to protest about Chinese breaches of human rights because, and I quote: "the media are focussing on the event that they hope will end Trump's presidency." The brutal truth of the matter is that the British public are not protesting about Chinese breaches of human rights because they don't care enough about what's happening in China.
    It seems you know little about China. Besides that, Trump losing in the November elections could see Brexit becoming no longer viable, so the media are all in.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...d-report-warns

https://time.com/5557951/china-inter...-global-media/

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It seems you know little about China.
    You're right, which is the point I've been making all along. I know little about China. Just as I know little about most of the other places around the world where human rights atrocities are committed on a daily basis. Unlike some people, I don't pretend to either.

You're right, which is the point I've been making all along. I know little about China. Just as I know little about most of the other places around the world where human rights atrocities are committed on a daily basis. Unlike some people, I don't pretend to either.
    China were so successful in controlling the Coronavirus narrative via the WHO and world media, that there were people on here repeating the Chinese Communist Party line.

China were so successful in controlling the Coronavirus narrative via the WHO and world media, that there were people on here repeating the Chinese Communist Party line.
    There were people on here quoting David Icke.

There were people on here quoting David Icke.
    What were the quotes?

What were the quotes?
    I don't know. I wasn't paying much attention. Probably something to do with lizards, though.

Has that now been confirmed by anyone?
    There is a lot of news out there, it's hard to keep up

International

I don't know. I wasn't paying much attention. Probably something to do with lizards, though.
    You can't say that!
    . The lizards will get you!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes and one could well argue the Chinese record on human rights freedom of speach it's as bad or worse than the awful racism in the USA, no big protests though, even when you see what will soon be imposed on Hong Kong freedoms
    I’ve been wondering about HK lately. Surely China have to abide by the terms of the handover agreement written in 1997? I can’t see how they think they can get away with it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ve been wondering about HK lately. Surely China have to abide by the terms of the handover agreement written in 1997? I can’t see how they think they can get away with it.
    What were the terms?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    What were the terms?
    I don’t know but surely it was to continue roughly the way it was with 1 country 2 systems or whatever they call it. No doubt protesters in HK will start to disappear in the next few years.....

International

Why? They don't take any notice of much else if it doesn't suit them. If they choose not to take notice who is going to do anything about it really?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Has that now been confirmed by anyone?
    There is a lot of news out there, it's hard to keep up
    Coronavirus began 'as an accident' in Chinese lab, says former MI6 boss

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...caped-chinese/

What is to stop them?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    What is to stop them?
    I know....you wonder if lots of countries will go against them on this though, didn’t lots already start something? What they did to the peaceful people of Tibet is one thing, HK is a different kettle of fish no? Maybe it’s time to stop doing business with China to force them to conform? If this virus has taught us anything surely it’s we should be making more stuff here now and not relying on importing it from the other side of the world. I’m not saying any of this is easy, but we have to start somewhere.