+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aches n pains

Banned

Aches n pains

Always used to baffle me why footballers are done by 35 years old.
    I can see why now, I'm 43, 20+ years of working away , banging the hours in and my back is fackt, my knees are shot too, but I can get the minions to do the knee jobs, like plinth n skirting board.

I dont think I can sit still for more than 5 mins with my back.

Anyone else suffering from work or play lifestyle?

Any advice for back pain will be truly appreciated otherwise Ima gonna get addicted to whisky or painkillers.

Re: Aches n pains

It’s sitting still and inactivity that’s that’s problem, one of the reasons that I’m reluctant to retire. Been in the building game since a kid, nigh on 50 years , and I’ve got the usual knee problems etc but it’s the ‘doing nothing’ that’s the problem. I love to relax on a sun bed on holiday but in no time at all my body is telling me “What the f*ck is going on? You’re supposed to be up & down, climbing ladders, bending and laying bricks, pointing slabs etc”, I’ve got to get up, get in the pool, go in the sea, go for a walk, when all I want to really do is relax, read and have a snooze.
    Graham, I wouldn’t mind betting that once in work and into the swing of the day, you’re doing this, doing that, twisting, turning and your aches and pains fade away. Like me you’re a condemned man, carrying on grafting is the painkiller.
    Hope this reply is some comfort to you

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I can see why now, I'm 43, 20+ years of working away , banging the hours in and my back is fackt, my knees are shot too, but I can get the minions to do the knee jobs, like plinth n skirting board.

Any advice for back pain will be truly appreciated otherwise Ima gonna get addicted to whisky or painkillers.
    Hiya mate

My sisters daughter is a physio and she treats loads of people who have worked in the building trade , roofers , carpenters , plasterers , tilers spend time working at funny angles etc

She said the NHS do a website on basic back exercises and to do lots of walking as it puts your back and spine in the correct position

I suffer alot Nugent, I was also a chippy an its a hard job ( especially years ago ) we have all carried a 8X4 3/4" sheet of ply and not thought nothing of it, thats a awkward size and its not light

my knees are gone, I spent a total of just over 2 years ( over a 3 year span ) fitting 5 Lever deadlocks on council houses, 10 locks a day ( we got 1 hour each lock and had to do 2 extra to book 1 hours overtime ) , i knackered my knees

used to also play sports hard, football, Judo, mountian biking, running, they all have taken toll on my body

i have been to a few physios, they have sorted out my back, it mainly came down to posture in the end, stand up straight, head back, chest out, its helped me alot

My knees have been ****ed for years. I can walk and ride a bike, but football, tennis or anything more than a light jog are out of the question. I've had a torn meniscus which was repaired but then my MCL went. At 50+ and living in the real world, that's kind of a life sentence.

Physio unfortunately and support, need to build up the supporting muscles, however it might be worth checking with you doctor its not spine , vertebra damage just in case , you could buy a posture support , to see if it helps .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modetro-Spo.../dp/B071FJ2N5R

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It’s sitting still and inactivity that’s that’s problem, one of the reasons that I’m reluctant to retire. Been in the building game since a kid, nigh on 50 years , and I’ve got the usual knee problems etc but it’s the ‘doing nothing’ that’s the problem. I love to relax on a sun bed on holiday but in no time at all my body is telling me “What the f*ck is going on? You’re supposed to be up & down, climbing ladders, bending and laying bricks, pointing slabs etc”, I’ve got to get up, get in the pool, go in the sea, go for a walk, when all I want to really do is relax, read and have a snooze.
    Graham, I wouldn’t mind betting that once in work and into the swing of the day, you’re doing this, doing that, twisting, turning and your aches and pains fade away. Like me you’re a condemned man, carrying on grafting is the painkiller.
    Hope this reply is some comfort to you
    You're absolutely correct mate.
    If I'm moving in work I'm ok, but to a certain extent, the usual day to day stuff is fine, unless we have a delivery of say worktops and panels for example, when you start to get towards the bottom of the pallet it's hard work

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Hiya mate

My sisters daughter is a physio and she treats loads of people who have worked in the building trade , roofers , carpenters , plasterers , tilers spend time working at funny angles etc

She said the NHS do a website on basic back exercises and to do lots of walking as it puts your back and spine in the correct position
    I dont mind paying private if she has a practice sludgey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I suffer alot Nugent, I was also a chippy an its a hard job ( especially years ago ) we have all carried a 8X4 3/4" sheet of ply and not thought nothing of it, thats a awkward size and its not light

my knees are gone, I spent a total of just over 2 years ( over a 3 year span ) fitting 5 Lever deadlocks on council houses, 10 locks a day ( we got 1 hour each lock and had to do 2 extra to book 1 hours overtime ) , i knackered my knees

used to also play sports hard, football, Judo, mountian biking, running, they all have taken toll on my body

i have been to a few physios, they have sorted out my back, it mainly came down to posture in the end, stand up straight, head back, chest out, its helped me alot
    I am shit with posture matt, I'm like yoda walking round the place

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Physio unfortunately and support, need to build up the supporting muscles, however it might be worth checking with you doctor its not spine , vertebra damage just in case , you could buy a posture support , to see if it helps .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modetro-Spo.../dp/B071FJ2N5R
    Cheers lifey, I just bought one of them.
    Good reviews and for less than a pack of fags, ima giving it a go.
    Cheers butt

****ing Chippie-soft as shit I'm a Plasterer, 30 years and back when it was all rough and set, not dry line-tape and joint. One of my knees is desperate, elbows ache and forearms, permament shoulder injury which is very painful when i'm cranking up in the morning and lower back aches from arching skimming thousands of mts of ceiling. Splotty is spot on, you just gotta keep moving, after half an hour or so the pain subsides and the endorphine kicks in. Don't sit around for to long is the answer and strangely, excercise. All of the movement you do for work isn't a shock for your body, it embraces it because it's used to it. Try doing a little bit of exercise that uses other muscles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    ****ing Chippie-soft as shit I'm a Plasterer, 30 years and back when it was all rough and set, not dry line-tape and joint. One of my knees is desperate, elbows ache and forearms, permament shoulder injury which is very painful when i'm cranking up in the morning and lower back aches from arching skimming thousands of mts of ceiling. Splotty is spot on, you just gotta keep moving, after half an hour or so the pain subsides and the endorphine kicks in. Don't sit around for to long is the answer and strangely, excercise. All of the movement you do for work isn't a shock for your body, it embraces it because it's used to it. Try doing a little bit of exercise that uses other muscles.
    I get that teurty, but what happens when we are old and decrepit like bluetit and we cant just move about, are we gonna be in agony for the remainder of our days?

Banned

Always had minor back issues (well, since my mid-30s), changed mattresses, exercise, cold baths, hot baths - nothing seems to fix it.

I often wonder, what it would be like to wake up with your 18 year old body - how noticeable would the difference be after 25 years of gradual decline.

My eyes are doing it for me now, can't even see the monitor with my normal glasses, and now wear reading glasses.

I get that teurty, but what happens when we are old and decrepit like bluetit and we cant just move about, are we gonna be in agony for the remainder of our days?
    Do what Bluetit does and drink copious amounts of Alcohol, he's essentially pickled from the inside out and his body is like a ****ing Gherkin in a jar at the back of the cupboard that hasn't been touched for 20 years, it's still fresh Nah, that's a joke-Listen to your body and adjust. I'm nearly 48 and can't do what i was doing when i was 28 not because i haven't got in in me, i just can't recover for a couple of days. The one good thing about getting older and doing physical work is that experience shows you the tricks and strokes you can pull to make life easier for yourself and i wont get involved with cut to the bone hard graft anymore, lining somebody elses pocket, absolute mugs game. I've got a rate and that's what i want, if a person isn't going to pay it then i'll go and walk my dog. F uck em.

I've been a printer for 33 years.
    Lifting large rolls of paper.
    Large rotary cutters
    Large print cylinders
    Has pretty much fecked my back. I have also had 3 knee operations from an old football injury, I have a hernia and I'm suffering from arthritis in my elbows.
    Has anyone got a gun?

I dont mind paying private if she has a practice sludgey
    Shes NHS mate

There is a women near me who has a private physio practice , at the moment she does on line consultations , are you barry based ?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I've been a printer for 33 years.
    Lifting large rolls of paper.
    Large rotary cutters
    Large print cylinders
    Has pretty much fecked my back. I have also had 3 knee operations from an old football injury, I have a hernia and I'm suffering from arthritis in my elbows.
    Has anyone got a gun?
    A lot of chronic pain sufferers take amitriptyline, it helps you sleep too

As your missus

Shes NHS mate

There is a women near me who has a private physio practice , at the moment she does on line consultations , are you barry based ?
    Salveo physiotherapy

On google

Really nice lady , splits her work between private and NHS

A lot of chronic pain sufferers take amitriptyline, it helps you sleep too

As your missus
    People need to exercise Sludge. Just because we work, we seem to think that it's enough then come home, sit in front of the TV and eat shit. We are not designed to sit for long periods of time, the spine hates it, that's why we lie down when we sleep. I've damaged my body through work, but if i didn't exercise my back and core muscles and sat around for hours after work then i'd be in a terrible state. If people lived a bit healthier outside of work then the problems wouldn't be so great. None of us are down pits anymore or carrying tonnes of stone to the top of a hill. Strengthen the body and conditioning improves as well as mind. Our bodies are designed to do it.

I take enough drugs for diabetes and blood pressure.
    I moan but I very rarely take pain Killers.
    You are correct tuerto exercise is the way forward.
    I walk but not enough.
    My back does not hurt when standing or walking but when I do a lot of walking my knee aches like feck

Banned

Shes NHS mate

Sort of bruv

I work away, so am only home on weekends which makes appointments difficult.
    If you have anyone in mind that can do friday afternoons, I'm all ears

I walk but not enough.
    My back does not hurt when standing or walking but when I do a lot of walking my knee aches like feck
    Just drink it numbs everything 😉

Cheers lifey, I just bought one of them.
    Good reviews and for less than a pack of fags, ima giving it a go.
    Cheers butt
    Its worth a go at that price , I believe your not supposed to wear it full time though.

Good luck 👍

I am shit with posture matt, I'm like yoda walking round the place
    thats what helped me, i now walk like i am in the army, but back pain has gone, if i fall into old habits and slouch the pain comes back, so it reminds me to stand tall

I walk but not enough.
    You are a big cyclist ?