+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: YOUR SON/DAUGHTER'S FIRST CITY GAME

YOUR SON/DAUGHTER'S FIRST CITY GAME

Reading an article on here made me think back to my son's first City game and how it has proven to have had a profound effect on his life since then.

He was aged 9 in 1989 when I took him to a midweek game against Bristol Rovers. You never really know whether they will take to it straight away or if at all. But from the moment Kelly equalised with a long range shot against Nigel Martyn, the boy was hooked.

Move forward 30 years and he is taking his son to see Brentford play as often as is practicable. That's now his local team so it would be unfair to 'foist' Cardiff City on to my grandson, with little or no chance of seeing them play. Importantly though, he has been told how much the City means to his dad and they are his second favourite club.

Anyhow Brentford are an excellent family club and so far my grandson has been rewarded with plenty of goals and lots of good attacking football.

Re: YOUR SON/DAUGHTER'S FIRST CITY GAME

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Reading an article on here made me think back to my son's first City game and how it has proven to have had a profound effect on his life since then.

He was aged 9 in 1989 when I took him to a midweek game against Bristol Rovers. You never really know whether they will take to it straight away or if at all. But from the moment Kelly equalised with a long range shot against Nigel Martyn, the boy was hooked.

Move forward 30 years and he is taking his son to see Brentford play as often as is practicable. That's now his local team so it would be unfair to 'foist' Cardiff City on to my grandson, with little or no chance of seeing them play. Importantly though, he has been told how much the City means to his dad and they are his second favourite club.

Anyhow Brentford are an excellent family club and so far my grandson has been rewarded with plenty of goals and lots of good attacking football.
    Got a lot of time for brentford and their fans

Like leyton orient they are surrounded by the big boys but they stick by their team

Its the reason why I like tranmere , stockport county , bury , rochdale , oldham and huddersfield , Barnsley and bradford to do well

And the reason why I hate south Salinas following liverpool and man united in their droves

My son was 6 in 2009 and I wanted to take him to a game at Ninian Park before we left.
    I won 2 tickets in a competition to a midweek game, but didnt think that was suitable so changed them to a Saturday game. The game was against Sheffield Utd and, due to other commitments, we turned up 30 minutes late. We took our seats just as Ross McCormack was leaving the pitch leaving us down to 9 men. As a game it was a non event, but so glad my son got to see a game at Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Got a lot of time for brentford and their fans

Like leyton orient they are surrounded by the big boys but they stick by their team

Its the reason why I like tranmere , stockport county , bury , rochdale , oldham and huddersfield , Barnsley and bradford to do well

And the reason why I hate south Salinas following liverpool and man united in their droves
    My son was determined to keep his son out of the clutches of QPR fans, of which there are many living in close proximity to him. He has a passionate dislike for the club and their fans so when he took my grandson to his first Brentford game last season he was relieved that there was an instant connection and they very quickly became his club.

I should add that my grandson still has a bigger collection of City shirts than I ever had but as long as he doesn't wear them to Brentford's new stadium he'll be fine !

My boys were born in Leyton, but were too young to go to a game.
    I moved back to Wales when they were 5 and 2, and they 'supported' ManU!
    I managed to take them to a game vs Hartlepool, Tony Philliskirk's debut - he bplayed a blinder but didn't score in our 3-0 win.

Now they are both ST holders.

My son't first game was against Maidstone - the first Home match in the Rick Wright era. In front of a large crowd we got hammered. My son hasn't been since.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My boys were born in Leyton, but were too young to go to a game.
    I moved back to Wales when they were 5 and 2, and they 'supported' ManU!
    I managed to take them to a game vs Hartlepool, Tony Philliskirk's debut - he bplayed a blinder but didn't score in our 3-0 win.

Now they are both ST holders.
    Tony Philliskirk "played a blinder"? Was it City who were playing Hartlepool that day ?

Don't have a son and daughter to take to matches, but I took my nephew to his first match when he was six or seven - City 1 Oxford 1 in January 2000, a poor game where nothing much happened for long periods, but the goals by both sides were fantastic and they must have been enough to get him interested, because he's a big football fan who still comes down to Cardiff from his Birmingham home to watch at least one City match a season.

My niece came to our Premier League match with Newcastle in October 2013 about six months after she was in with the away fans when she went to our game with Leicester with her Leicester supporting partner.

Can't remember the exact games, but 2 early ones with my son do spring to mind. One was on the Bob Bank v Jacks - he was maybe about 6 - and was intrigued to see other boys a bit older than him wearing swimming googles and inflatable arm bands. I think I made up some story.

Think the first might have been in the Canton Stand v Coventry - again when he was about 6. I had to take him for a wee in the first half, and we only realised towards the end of the game that Coventry had scored while we were out. Think we lost that 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tony Philliskirk "played a blinder"? Was it City who were playing Hartlepool that day ?

Don't have a son and daughter to take to matches, but I took my nephew to his first match when he was six or seven - City 1 Oxford 1 in January 2000, a poor game where nothing much happened for long periods, but the goals by both sides were fantastic and they must have been enough to get him interested, because he's a big football fan who still comes down to Cardiff from his Birmingham home to watch at least one City match a season.

My niece came to our Premier League match with Newcastle in October 2013 about six months after she was in with the away fans when she went to our game with Leicester with her Leicester supporting partner.
    Yeah, it was his debut and he did actually play very well - for probably the only time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    My son't first game was against Maidstone - the first Home match in the Rick Wright era. In front of a large crowd we got hammered. My son hasn't been since.
    Five bloody nil

We thought that was massive

Neil Mathews made a balls up and freddy Krueger handled on the line to prevent a goal and was sent off

I took my kids (girl 10 and lad 8) to Bolton away in the fa cup 2014 for their first match.

Halfway through the game my daughter who's really enjoying herself and has always said yes since when I've a spare ticket turns to my sister and asks....... what does wanky wanky wanky wanky wanderers mean whilst doing the action!!!!!

I was lucky enough to get dad and lad tickets for the champions league final in cardiff. My son who's now 11 says well dad this is way better than watching cardiff play bolton preston or the other dodgy places you've taken me!!!!!

You never know how its going to go!!

Home against Colchester 2007 I think and he was aged 6.Boring 0-0 but he got hooked.

2003 v Leyton Orient in the league Cup 4-1 to the mighty Bluebirds. Earnie hatrick and Andy Campbell with other 1.
    He was 3 we stood on bobbank terrace and he fell asleep in my arms in the 2nd half.
    He's sadly on a 3 year vacation from football grounds up and down the country.

Wife Barnet home boring 0-0 in the rain
    Two eldest at home to Stoke about 25 years ago
    Third eldest Leeds FA cup at home 2003 totally addicted
    Youngest Palace away bout 10 years ago

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

I remember that game, Martyn was just about to sign for Palace for a million - the first million pound goalie. Kelly scored a great goal that day.

Can't remember the specific game but in was about 1989. I took both my sons, then aged 9 & 7, and they just ran around the Bob Bank all night. After about 30 minutes I gave up trying to calm them down and let them get on with it. After all there was plenty of room so they were' in anyone's way. My older boy never got in to football, but the younger one (sadly passed away last year aged 36) became a regular attendee with me and did all the Wembley visits, plus some tasty away games.