+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brexit trade deals

Re: Brexit trade deals

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I disagree with that. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but meat is one of the things I do not by based on its cheapness. I never by pre-packed meat unless nothing else is available. I always buy it fresh, including my chicken. I only use large free range eggs.
    As for take-aways I live in Llandaff and the local curry house does take-aways. I love chicken rogan josh but I won't buy it there because the use cubes of reconstituted chicken. I buy my rogan at the Fairwater Tandoori because they use proper pieces of chicken that is recognisable as chicken, sometimes it even has bones in it.
    There are a lot of people who still use traditional butchers (some even drive to Brecon to do it) and the extra cost is worth it because if you are paying that much for something anyway the extra couple of bob are worth it.
    He said most people. That is true.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I have never said this isnt bad, i have said people will have a choice, UK chickens will be labelled as such and people will choose what they want to eat, just like they do eggs

Personally i dont want to see any animals killed for food, but thats another argument
    They 'will' be labelled as such?

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He said most people. That is true.
    Probably, but not him and not me.

Probably, but not him and not me.
    If 'probably' why did you say 'i disagree'?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    He thinks he is proving a point, but the point he is proving is different to the one he is making.
    Yeah I've never understood what his idea is with that, just comes across as having nothing to say so he does the messageboard equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and sticking his tongue out, which, as (presumably) an adult, is a bit embarrassing

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah I've never understood what his idea is with that, just comes across as having nothing to say so he does the messageboard equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and sticking his tongue out, which, as (presumably) an adult, is a bit embarrassing
    It's even worse when you're ugly, believe me!

First Team

my local Chinese advertises that it uses free range eggs and no GMO ingredients

my local Thai food place advertises it uses no GMO ingredients

one of the kebab / pizza places in town has on the window that all meat is not Halal

Mr Kiplings cakes and cake bars say they only use free range eggs

so hardly unheard of that they label food, we can make a choice

if you dont want to run the risk of eating that chicken, dont eat chicken
    And what about the poor who cannot afford Waitrose?

First Team

none, but it shows that it is possible for the UK to label food so the end consumer can made decisions
    I imagine the US will insist on non-discriminatory labeling (country of origin unidentifiable) and the Tory boys will roll over at President Tweety's command.

First Team

I disagree with that. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but meat is one of the things I do not by based on its cheapness. I never by pre-packed meat unless nothing else is available. I always buy it fresh, including my chicken. I only use large free range eggs.
    As for take-aways I live in Llandaff and the local curry house does take-aways. I love chicken rogan josh but I won't buy it there because the use cubes of reconstituted chicken. I buy my rogan at the Fairwater Tandoori because they use proper pieces of chicken that is recognisable as chicken, sometimes it even has bones in it.
    There are a lot of people who still use traditional butchers (some even drive to Brecon to do it) and the extra cost is worth it because if you are paying that much for something anyway the extra couple of bob are worth it.
    Bollocks. People like you think those on universal credit have a choice. You are deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Naive
    You didn't answer my question in the George Floyd thread. Have you been posting as Rudy Gestede?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The*chicken is*not “washed in*chlorine” it*is*chilled in water containing sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite at 20–50 ppm (That*is*parts per million). Tap water that*is chlorinated*for safety can be as high a 4 ppm. ...*
    Not sure of the point you're making, but the prospect of eating meat that is reared in such poor conditions that it has to be washed in water that is up to 10x as chlorinated as tap water in order to make it safe to eat (and even then there are doubts to how effective that is) doesn't seem like a step in the right direction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Not sure of the point you're making, but the prospect of eating meat that is reared in such poor conditions that it has to be washed in water that is up to 10x as chlorinated as tap water in order to make it safe to eat (and even then there are doubts to how effective that is) doesn't seem like a step in the right direction to me.
    I think chlorinated chicken is indicative of some wider points of our EU free future:

* Freeing ourselves of negotiating trade deals as a bloc has certain benefits as we can focus on the goods and services that we consider most important. We don't have to trade off seeking preferential market access for whisky against cognac if compromise is required. We don't need agreement on the deal with 27 others. The downside is that we have far weaker negotiating capital as our market is much smaller. Particularly if the other side recognises our weakness and need for something that signals success. That seems to be the case in the negotiations with the US.

* The more compromises we make on the existing standards the more friction there will be with trading with the EU. In the case of chlorinated chicken which will still be banned by the EU this will mean increased checks on those types of exports to determine origin. This will be particularly unedifying to the Northern Irish where, contrary to the assurances given by Boris Johnson before the election, there will be Customs checks on goods moving from one part of the UK to another across the Irish Sea. I am not clear whether under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration the Northern Irish will be able to consume non-EU sanctioned products like chlorinated chicken at all.

*Michael Gove gave a categorical assurance that chlorinated chicken was not on the negotiating table and our food standards would only be enhanced when DEFRA SoS. I guess that was then and this is now. Coupled with Boris Johnson's warm words to the 3m people of Hong Kong about seamless visa access and an easy route to UK citizenship this may give those who voted for Brexit for legitimate reasons pause for thought on whether we are heading for the land of milk and honey they were promised. Then again it may not!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think chlorinated chicken is indicative of some wider points of our EU free future:

* Freeing ourselves of negotiating trade deals as a bloc has certain benefits as we can focus on the goods and services that we consider most important. We don't have to trade off seeking preferential market access for whisky against cognac if compromise is required. We don't need agreement on the deal with 27 others. The downside is that we have far weaker negotiating capital as our market is much smaller. Particularly if the other side recognises our weakness and need for something that signals success. That seems to be the case in the negotiations with the US.

* The more compromises we make on the existing standards the more friction there will be with trading with the EU. In the case of chlorinated chicken which will still be banned by the EU this will mean increased checks on those types of exports to determine origin. This will be particularly unedifying to the Northern Irish where, contrary to the assurances given by Boris Johnson before the election, there will be Customs checks on goods moving from one part of the UK to another across the Irish Sea. I am not clear whether under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration the Northern Irish will be able to consume non-EU sanctioned products like chlorinated chicken at all.

*Michael Gove gave a categorical assurance that chlorinated chicken was not on the negotiating table and our food standards would only be enhanced when DEFRA SoS. I guess that was then and this is now. Coupled with Boris Johnson's warm words to the 3m people of Hong Kong about seamless visa access and an easy route to UK citizenship this may give those who voted for Brexit for legitimate reasons pause for thought on whether we are heading for the land of milk and honey they were promised. Then again it may not!
    I agree with the stance on Hong Kong (not only because my girlfriend is from there). The people of Hong Kong never wanted to be handed over to the Chinese, and the 90 year lease never included Hong Kong Island or Kowloon, those were ceded to Britain in perpetuity (albeit as a result of one of the most shameful chapters in British history) Britain just handed over millions of Hong Kong citizens to an oppressive regime without consulting them.
    I don't think that many would actually come here either, the weather is too cold, and the food here is terrible, especially the Chinese food.

I agree with the stance on Hong Kong (not only because my girlfriend is from there). The people of Hong Kong never wanted to be handed over to the Chinese, and the 90 year lease never included Hong Kong Island or Kowloon, those were ceded to Britain in perpetuity (albeit as a result of one of the most shameful chapters in British history) Britain just handed over millions of Hong Kong citizens to an oppressive regime without consulting them.
    I don't think that many would actually come here either, the weather is too cold, and the food here is terrible, especially the Chinese food.
    Hong Kong is an amazing place where I've spent quite a bit of time too, very unique culture, very nice people. Have considered moving there a few times. It won't be the same once China are properly in there.

I like China too it's an amazing place (if you can ignore the oppresive regime) but Hong Kong was always so different.

Hong Kong is an amazing place where I've spent quite a bit of time too, very unique culture, very nice people. Have considered moving there a few times. It won't be the same once China are properly in there.

I like China too it's an amazing place (if you can ignore the oppresive regime) but Hong Kong was always so different.
    yeah same here , I've been visiting both for years, and love them both.

I think there was a general (naïve) opinion that the freedoms in Hong Kong would spread to the rest of China by the time the border disappears. in essence, that China would become like Hong Kong before 2047.
    that clearly isn't going to happen, and civil liberties are already being eroded.

Another mad thing about people trying to defend this is didn't covid start in the food chain? Seems a ridiculous time to lower regulation of what we eat.

Taiwan is worth going to next time you're over there. The history of it about 100 years ago is interesting, and Taiwanese sausage is very good. A little bit sweet.

Taiwan is worth going to next time you're over there. The history of it about 100 years ago is interesting, and Taiwanese sausage is very good. A little bit sweet.
    I travel over quite regularly for work so hopefully once that starts up I’ll be able to go there Sounds like it’s worth a look

Banned

yeah same here , I've been visiting both for years, and love them both.

I think there was a general (naïve) opinion that the freedoms in Hong Kong would spread to the rest of China by the time the border disappears. in essence, that China would become like Hong Kong before 2047.
    that clearly isn't going to happen, and civil liberties are already being eroded.
    HK is (was) great, one of the few places I have been to that I would contemplate moving to.

Banned

Another mad thing about people trying to defend this is didn't covid start in the food chain? Seems a ridiculous time to lower regulation of what we eat.
    Imagine the hand wringing if the virus was found to originate from chlorinated chicken.

I have never said this isnt bad, i have said people will have a choice, UK chickens will be labelled as such and people will choose what they want to eat, just like they do eggs

Personally i dont want to see any animals killed for food, but thats another argument
    I fully understand your view , it may provide a USA bound export opportunity as trade is two way for farmers / butchers to perhaps trade the other way . I know a butcher whose business was saved by going on line and exporting his meats to the USA clients .

It may see growth in farmer market / and butchers , where folk as you rightly point out can make an educated choice .

The next country in the Chinese firing line after its dealt with Hong Kong

Banned

I fully understand your view , it may provide a USA bound export opportunity as trade is two way for farmers / butchers to perhaps trade the other way . I know a butcher whose business was saved by going on line and exporting his meats to the USA clients .

It may see growth in farmer market / and butchers , where folk as you rightly point out can make an educated choice .
    Does the butcher have a website, and could you share it?

The next country in the Chinese firing line after its dealt with Hong Kong
    not so sure about that.

Banned

not so sure about that.
    More likely to be The Philippines, who they are taking over by stealth.