+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Brexit trade deals

Re: Brexit trade deals

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I have never said this isnt bad, i have said people will have a choice, UK chickens will be labelled as such and people will choose what they want to eat, just like they do eggs

Personally i dont want to see any animals killed for food, but thats another argument
    It makes you wonder why nobody is currently selling clearly labelled chlorinated chicken.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It makes you wonder why nobody is currently selling clearly labelled chlorinated chicken.
    Must be a lack of demand as people exercise their options, surely?

If its really all about animal welfare and not some old brexiteer anti USA argument , your best buying from a decent butchers now , as according to British Poultry Council of the 30 million slaughtered only 3 % are really free range, the cheap supermarket chickens are so cheap and nasty , pumped with water, and slaughtered very young .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The next country in the Chinese firing line after its dealt with Hong Kong
    It's only recognised as a separate state by 14 countries - and those states are either minnows (island states in the Caribbean and in the Pacific Ocean), Central American countries, The Vatican and Eswatini. The UK government, like all the other countries in the world, do not have official diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's only recognised as a separate state by 14 countries - and those states are either minnows (island states in the Caribbean and in the Pacific Ocean), Central American countries, The Vatican and Eswatini. The UK government, like all the other countries in the world, do not have official diplomatic relations with Taiwan.
    So it belongs to China ?

Here's a petition you can sign to ask your goverment to get a trade deal you already had in the EU. It won't do any good, but it might make you feel like you got "involved".

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...inated-chicken

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Here's a petition you can sign to ask your goverment to get a trade deal you already had in the EU. It won't do any good, but it might make you feel like you got "involved".

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...inated-chicken
    Is there a pecking order here ?

So it belongs to China ?
    Mainland China (People's Republic of China) claim Taiwan (Republic of China) and the former refuse to have diplomatic relations with states who officially recognise the latter. The US sells arms to Taiwan, however.

So it belongs to China ?
    Taiwan thinks it's the other way round, and once the Communist party is gone then the republic of China will be restored.

there are some nice beaches and mountains in Taiwan, and it's pretty cheap to visit. the cherry blossoms are pretty spectacular in the spring with a fraction of the tourists (or cost) as seeing them in Japan.
    the food isn't as good as China though

Is there a pecking order here ?
    I don't know, but someone laid an egg.

https://amp.ft.com/content/8a0bffe3-...mpression=true

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status...752596998?s=19
    interesting ft article or Twitter thread on the threat our farmers face from American meat that costs half as much, mostly because of the much lower animal welfare standards

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Another mad thing about people trying to defend this is didn't covid start in the food chain? Seems a ridiculous time to lower regulation of what we eat.
    Yes. It started in the country your trying to champion.

I fully understand your view , it may provide a USA bound export opportunity as trade is two way for farmers / butchers to perhaps trade the other way . I know a butcher whose business was saved by going on line and exporting his meats to the USA clients .

It may see growth in farmer market / and butchers , where folk as you rightly point out can make an educated choice .
    So why aren't more butchers doing the same? If he can do it with existing trade arrangements then anyone can.

It's no different to that arsehole Tim Martin, who goes out of his way to try and prove that he can source cheaper but similar products outside the EU. He does so because of EU trade agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So why aren't more butchers doing the same? If he can do it with existing trade arrangements then anyone can.

It's no different to that arsehole Tim Martin, who goes out of his way to try and prove that he can source cheaper but similar products outside the EU. He does so because of EU trade agreements.
    EU trade deals by definition aren't optimal for individual nations due to catering for the needs of 27 different nations, hence common baseline made.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    EU trade deals by definition aren't optimal for individual nations due to catering for the needs of 27 different nations, hence common baseline made.
    On the other hand, the bargaining power of 27 nations representing a market of half a billion people is considerably more than we can manage on our own.

Greatest description of Tim Martin (and possibly of anyone) ever.

https://twitter.com/plinketyplink2/s...202862592?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    On the other hand, the bargaining power of 27 nations representing a market of half a billion people is considerably more than we can manage on our own.
    That applies more to imports than exports.

In terms of free trade, CPTPP has same GDP as EU, for example.

That applies more to imports than exports.

In terms of free trade, CPTPP has same GDP as EU, for example.
    Slightly higher transport costs though.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Slightly higher transport costs though.
    Same issues arise dealing with those nations now. Cuts both ways, you factor into deals.

Same issues arise dealing with those nations now. Cuts both ways, you factor into deals.
    You seem to be saying that the fact that your internal market is huge has no bearing on the ability to negotiate better deals to access theirs. Interesting idea.

In terms of GDP boost we will see between 4.9 and 6.7% less growth over 15 years under a Canada style free trade deal with the EU according to Treasury forecasts.

The UK negotiating document for the US anticipates a 0.16% boost from a US trade deal and a zero benefit from the anticipated trade deals with Australia and New Zealand.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9571421.html

Where are the big compensatory wins going to come from in your estimation given that the EU already has major trade deals with most of the rest of the large economic players?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You seem to be saying that the fact that your internal market is huge has no bearing on the ability to negotiate better deals to access theirs. Interesting idea.

In terms of GDP boost we will see between 4.9 and 6.7% less growth over 15 years under a Canada style free trade deal with the EU according to Treasury forecasts.

The UK negotiating document for the US anticipates a 0.16% boost from a US trade deal and a zero benefit from the anticipated trade deals with Australia and New Zealand.

Where are the big compensatory wins going to come from in your estimation given that the EU already has major trade deals with most of the rest of the large economic players?
    No, I'm saying deals optimal to both sides are incredibly difficult to achieve when there are 27 nations on one side each with their own wants. Any deal is thus a diluted compromise.

Time will tell with regards to deals.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

It may be me, but there seem to be quite a few people who are not bothered if the economy dips because of Brexit, and they're the same people that want Britain out of lockdown to avoid damaging the economy.

It may be me, but there seem to be quite a few people who are not bothered if the economy dips because of Brexit, and they're the same people that want Britain out of lockdown to avoid damaging the economy.
    Pandemic lockdown having a greater effect, I suspect, than Brexit will so I'd disagree with conflating the two.

Brexit wasn't going to cause all non-food stores to close for example, or schools closed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9548431.html

chlorinated chicken back on the menu
    I eat it in America, I wouldn't notice any difference, although it is usually covered in Jack Daniels sauce or something?