+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queues in Aberdare Tescos car park.

Queues in Aberdare Tescos car park.

I went on my once a fortnight trip to Tescos Aberdare yesterday and had to queue outside for just a couple of minutes (compared to an hour about six weeks ago) to get in, but was surprised to see a queue of cars snaking back and forth through the Tesco's car pack. I concluded that it could only be for the McDonalds drive through which had just opened again and when I got home, this story confirmed that;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ivery-18364826

I'm biased, because I've never understood what all the fuss was about with McDonalds, but does anyone else find that a bit sad and pathetic?

Re: Queues in Aberdare Tescos car park.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I went on my once a fortnight trip to Tescos Aberdare yesterday and had to queue outside for just a couple of minutes (compared to an hour about six weeks ago) to get in, but was surprised to see a queue of cars snaking back and forth through the Tesco's car pack. I concluded that it could only be for the McDonalds drive through which had just opened again and when I got home, this story confirmed that;-

I'm biased, because I've never understood what all the fuss was about with McDonalds, but does anyone else find that a bit sad and pathetic?
    The food is generally shiiite but reckon it can only be parents taking their kids for a treat? I know it’s not really a treat to be given food that’s bad for them but you get the gist?

I guess as well that if you’ve had to cook for your kids every night for the last 10 weeks it’s a treat for parents as well

Banned

I appreciate parents may be tired of cooking food for their kids every day, but let's be honest, you could probably chuck a pizza in the oven for less effort and time than it takes to queue for a McDonald's. People buy into the hype and myth - making burgers is also easy, and you will get better quality beef even in the supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I guess as well that if you’ve had to cook for your kids every night for the last 10 weeks it’s a treat for parents as well
    In Aberdare home cooking is putting an Iceland pizza in the oven and turning the electric up to 200 Celsius for 10 minutes. The biggest hardship in that is they’ve got to pause from watching the Kardashian’s

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The food is generally shiiite but reckon it can only be parents taking their kids for a treat? I know it’s not really a treat to be given food that’s bad for them but you get the gist?
    Queuing in a car for what looked like tens of minutes for a burger would not have been my idea of fun as a kid, but times have changed I suppose - the thing is, I didn't see many kids in the cars that were passing close to where I had parked.

Queuing in a car for what looked like tens of minutes for a burger would not have been my idea of fun as a kid, but times have changed I suppose - the thing is, I didn't see many kids in the cars that were passing close to where I had parked.
    Mine were happy just to be in the car the other day going somewhere as opposed to being at home.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    In Aberdare home cooking is putting an Iceland pizza in the oven and turning the electric up to 200 Celsius for 10 minutes. The biggest hardship in that is they’ve got to pause from watching the Kardashian’s
    Yes! Absolutely. Queuing around McDonald's for 1 hour to get a shitty burger in a bun seems like a lot more effort to me. Hate McDonald's though - think they are socially irresponsible, so I am completely biased on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Yes! Absolutely. Queuing around McDonald's for 1 hour to get a shitty burger in a bun seems like a lot more effort to me. Hate McDonald's though - think they are socially irresponsible, so I am completely biased on this topic.
    I try to stay clear of McDonalds. Having two youngish kids though I can see the attraction for some parents if it keeps them quiet.

I try to stay clear of McDonalds. Having two youngish kids though I can see the attraction for some parents if it keeps them quiet.
    I just don't get why McDonalds? It's hardly as if the food is so much better there than the takeaway stuff you can get elsewhere.

I just don't get why McDonalds? It's hardly as if the food is so much better there than the takeaway stuff you can get elsewhere.
    Advertising photos v reality

mcdonalds.jpg

Is there many takeaways open at present? None of my regular ones are

I was up there yesterday for my weekly shop. I've also started doing shopping for my mother-in-law there. Tip for you, go on a Thursday afternoon, I've rarely had to queue more than a couple of minutes. I think they're letting more people in at a time as well.

Yes, the traffic for McDonald's was horrendous yesterday. I've never seen the attraction. I love their breakfasts, but their burgers are pretty poor. Much prefer a Burger King, though I've only had a few of those in the last 5 years or so.

Throughout this whole lockdown, I've avoided long queues like the plague. I've never needed something so badly that I'm prepared to stand outside for over half an hour. Sod that.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is there many takeaways open at present? None of my regular ones are
    Plenty of them open up here now, I'm struggling to think of one that is closed.

Is the correct answer. Wont be kids either, mostly adults. The food is cheap but tastes like plastic. I reckon that a Mcdonalds cheese burger would take about five years to go off.

You cant fine dine every evening mun. Mcdonalds is convenient food and tastes nowhere near as bad as the b-tech Gordon Ramseys on here are implying. So what if youths, or adults for that matter, want to queue up for an hour for one. They are not bothering you are they?

Its also a place where the weekend / part-time dads can take their kids and tell the kids its a treat. A finger of fudge doesnt cut it anymore.

pre-covid I would have a 5 piece of chicken selects, fries and diet coke from MacDonalds every now and again, and enjoy it.

It is all about moderation, nothing wrong with one every now and again, it a convenient treat when you fancy one, just becomes a problem when parents are buying kids them on the way home from school every other day. doesn't mean we need to 'ban fastfood' or anything, just more education.

Used to be a burger place in St. Mary Street ‘Red Onion’ years ago. Lovely stuff. Some of the street food places that were doing the rounds are far better than some high street, well known restaurants.

Used to be a burger place in St. Mary Street ‘Red Onion’ years ago. Lovely stuff. Some of the street food places that were doing the rounds are far better than some high street, well known restaurants.
    Red Onion was brilliant. You could buy single slices of Pizza in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    pre-covid I would have a 5 piece of chicken selects, fries and diet coke from MacDonalds every now and again, and enjoy it.

It is all about moderation, nothing wrong with one every now and again, it a convenient treat when you fancy one, just becomes a problem when parents are buying kids them on the way home from school every other day. doesn't mean we need to 'ban fastfood' or anything, just more education.
    Agree, nothing wrong with it now and again, quick, convenient and it fills a hole for a couple of hours. I don't like their food, same with Greggs, can't eat it. Would prefer a Burger King, although expensive and gone down hill. I've always found that the Burger Kings in London are always better.

International

Burger king burgers are twice the size of Macs which can't be bad start. The best thing that Greggs sell is the morning bacon roll, £2.50 with a tea or coffee, great way to start a days work :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Red Onion was brilliant. You could buy single slices of Pizza in there as well.
    I was a regular in the Red Onion on weekend nights and had many a slice of pizza. I was pissed most times I went there, so would have eaten anything, but, unlike when I tried a Dorothy's chicken curry and chips when I was sober, the stuff from the Red Onion was very nice and I'd often go there when I hadn't had a drink.

Aberdare lives matter 😉

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You cant fine dine every evening mun. Mcdonalds is convenient food and tastes nowhere near as bad as the b-tech Gordon Ramseys on here are implying. So what if youths, or adults for that matter, want to queue up for an hour for one. They are not bothering you are they?

Its also a place where the weekend / part-time dads can take their kids and tell the kids its a treat. A finger of fudge doesnt cut it anymore.
    Spot on kids like a treat ,they love McDonald's, ice cream is nice, you see a lot of grandparents with youngsters supping on a tea while kids play on the free gaming tablets, Toilets are always clean usually a grade above most pubs , they do sell burger free options , fruit vegetable sticks ,milk and water, as long as there not inn there every day there's no real harm . I love the milk shakes

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Burger king burgers are twice the size of Macs which can't be bad start. The best thing that Greggs sell is the morning bacon roll, £2.50 with a tea or coffee, great way to start a days work :)
    Yup, it's a good deal, although i find myself hungry an hour or so later. I can't do greggs pasties and the sausage rolls are like sucking fat through a sock.