+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Queues in Aberdare Tescos car park.

Re: Queues in Aberdare Tescos car park.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was a regular in the Red Onion on weekend nights and had many a slice of pizza. I was pissed most times I went there, so would have eaten anything, but, unlike when I tried a Dorothy's chicken curry and chips when I was sober, the stuff from the Red Onion was very nice and I'd often go there when I hadn't had a drink.
    Yup, loved it. Here's one for the oldies-A chip shop that was run by Chinese people on Tudor rd, on the left hand side of the road as you head towards the station, i think it was on the corner of one of the side streets. When i was a schoolboy and had finished training i'd stop off there. The chips were fantastic and they gave you loads. Anyone remember this place? Would've been mid to late eighties.

Anyone remember the Lexington, downstairs, next door or next door but one to the Capitol. Popular in the early/mid 70s, from memory the burgers were superb, a bit of Americana on Queen St

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone remember the Lexington, downstairs, next door or next door but one to the Capitol. Popular in the early/mid 70s, from memory the burgers were superb, a bit of Americana on Queen St
    The Gunman used to frequent that place during his New Romantic days. I remember a Hafords store was there and a mens shop called Spice, almost opposite was Roopa. Used to meet girls outside Roopa on a Saturday afternoon in my teenage years, stinking of the old mans 'Old Spice'

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Gunman used to frequent that place during his New Romantic days. I remember a Hafords store was there and a mens shop called Spice, almost opposite was Roopa. Used to meet girls outside Roopa on a Saturday afternoon in my teenage years, stinking of the old mans 'Old Spice'
    Sure you wasn’t stinking of fish? Macfisheries was by there as well Bus stops right outside the Cap and the newspaper seller, who had his papers spread all over the Cap’s wide steps, did a roaring trade every morning with workers pouring off the buses.

Sure you wasn’t stinking of fish? Macfisheries was by there as well Bus stops right outside the Cap and the newspaper seller, who had his papers spread all over the Cap’s wide steps, did a roaring trade every morning with workers pouring off the buses.
    I'm talking 86-87 it was pedestrianised by then. Are there any Echo vendors left? " Get yer Echo, late city final, Echo"

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Spot on kids like a treat ,they love McDonald's, ice cream is nice, you see a lot of grandparents with youngsters supping on a tea while kids play on the free gaming tablets, Toilets are always clean usually a grade above most pubs , they do sell burger free options , fruit vegetable sticks ,milk and water, as long as there not inn there every day there's no real harm . I love the milk shakes
    Sausage and egg McMuffin is a great way to start the day, if you have a hangover it’s mandatory

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm talking 86-87 it was pedestrianised by then. Are there any Echo vendors left? " Get yer Echo, late city final, Echo"
    There used to be an old guy who stood at the St Mary Street entrance to the Central market selling echos but his main business was selling wrist watches. He had the half way up both arms. Can't imagine where the came from!!

Not sure if it was called the Lexington then, but my memories of that place come from the sixties when I was very occasionally taken there as part of a family treat for something like a birthday - everyone's staple diet back in those days was very bland and it used to be like another world visiting that place.

First Team

Not sure if it was called the Lexington then, but my memories of that place come from the sixties when I was very occasionally taken there as part of a family treat for something like a birthday - everyone's staple diet back in those days was very bland and it used to be like another world visiting that place.
    I remember the Lexington as the stand out place for birthdays meals after a film . It was , for a while, the place all us teenagers wanted to go. Compared to the Lious ( which I fondly remember with very rose tinted glasses) it was pure Hollywood.

I really don’t get McDonald’s. The smell of it actually makes me gag.
    I consider myself lucky in that my boys wouldn’t be seen dead there!

I was a regular in the Red Onion on weekend nights and had many a slice of pizza. I was pissed most times I went there, so would have eaten anything, but, unlike when I tried a Dorothy's chicken curry and chips when I was sober, the stuff from the Red Onion was very nice and I'd often go there when I hadn't had a drink.
    "..and some garlic sauce on it please..."

absolutely love McDonald’s
    I’d absolutely smash one right now. Worked there part time during my a levels and learned loads in terms of hard work and also prioritisation..: I still keep thinking of the quickest way to do the next step to shave seconds off a task which my wife finds odd. Couldn’t get a part time job anywhere else in the valleys at the time.
    And certainly hasn’t put me off the food... fries.. quarter pounder/ Big Mac... McFlurry and a pot or two of bbq and curry sauce. One of my favourite foods and there’s no problem with one as an occasional treat
    Queuing longer than five mins tho? F*** that

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I really don’t get McDonald’s. The smell of it actually makes me gag.
    I consider myself lucky in that my boys wouldn’t be seen dead there!
    Same here. Also with Subway. Went in with a work colleague yrs ago and there was an all -pervading smell of additives or something - I can smell it whenever I pass one !
    I use local bakers - Pettigrews in Canton, and My Loaf in LLandaff North, who also do cakes and patisseries to rival anything you'd get in France. No doubt if a Greggs opened over the road there would be queues round the block for their magic sausage rolls..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Same here. Also with Subway. Went in with a work colleague yrs ago and there was an all -pervading smell of additives or something - I can smell it whenever I pass one !
    I use local bakers - Pettigrews in Canton, and My Loaf in LLandaff North, who also do cakes and patisseries to rival anything you'd get in France. No doubt if a Greggs opened over the road there would be queues round the block for their magic sausage rolls..
    Think I've only ever been in Greggs two or three times, the food was okay but no more than that. As for Subways, only been there once and I know what you mean about that additive smell which had me not expecting much when I started eating, but I was pleasantly surprised by it - not in a rush to go back though.

Mc D's is a easy quick option and you know what you will get where ever you are in the UK ( occasionally the world ) , a big mac and fries in london, leeds, Glasgow , NY or Atlanta will be the same, I must admit it isnt our 1st choice , but we have eaten loads of them over the years, we will often have happy meals to just fill the gap, its not a meal, but its a decent snack and doesnt smash any healthy eating out of the water

I spoke to someone who said they sat in the car for costa drive thru for over 1 hour, it wasnt the coffee, it was the feeling that life is returning to normal and that was worth the wait for them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Mc D's is a easy quick option and you know what you will get where ever you are in the UK ( occasionally the world ) , a big mac and fries in london, leeds, Glasgow , NY or Atlanta will be the same, I must admit it isnt our 1st choice , but we have eaten loads of them over the years, we will often have happy meals to just fill the gap, its not a meal, but its a decent snack and doesnt smash any healthy eating out of the water

I spoke to someone who said they sat in the car for costa drive thru for over 1 hour, it wasnt the coffee, it was the feeling that life is returning to normal and that was worth the wait for them
    Nothing says "normal" louder than waiting in a car for 1 hour to get a coffee served by someone heavily guarded by perspex shields.

International

The WOL article makes you wonder if someone is buncing the journalist. KFC in Western Avenue opened a couple of weeks ago and there are often long queues there, particularly in the first week or so but there wasn't a big headlines in the WOL.
    And for me KFC is better value for money by a long way.