+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: World cup final on at 1.30pm ch4 today

Banned

World cup final on at 1.30pm ch4 today

1966 WC final on today, on ch4, I reckon its gonna be going to extra time me.

I always wondered why England played in red that day.

But can anyone share any stories of where they watched it if they were alive at the time?

Love hearing old stories me

Re: World cup final on at 1.30pm ch4 today

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post

But can anyone share any stories of where they watched it if they were alive at the time?

Nah, the Germans always do England!

Sad to say I wanted England to win, back in the day before I knew better.
    In my defence it wasn't that long after the war.
    I have no defence for Mexico 70 mind, being gutted when they lost to Brazil

I'm ashamed to admit I ran out of my house in tears when West Germany equalised with about half a minute left in normal time - my excuse was I was ten at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post

I was 6 at the time and the family was living in Germany.

We were over visiting friends in London when the final was on. Can remember the parents watching it, but us playing in another room.

Main recollection was the drive home after the match to the place that we were staying. In a German registered car. We attracted a lot of attention shall we say.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm ashamed to admit I ran out of my house in tears when West Germany equalised with about half a minute left in normal time - my excuse was I was ten at the time.
    You only cried Paul, the Leon game 4 years later finished Terry Collier’s marriage to his German wife (one for Likely Lads fans)

66 WC was the robbery of the century they reckon, all set up for England and Germany to progress and England to win.
    The ref appointments for England games and Germany games and for the South America teams, what happened to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay was disgraceful and shocking.
    The treatment of Portugal was a disgrace (they might well have been the rightful winners as good as the South Americans were), scoucers still haven't forgiven their national association for the last minute switch to give England a home game and Portugal an away game in the semi.
    And then the Ghost goal and the linesman apparently when asked about it on his deathbed said 'Stalingrad'.
    It's no wonder why the home of football has never had another WC.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    66 WC was the robbery of the century they reckon, all set up for England and Germany to progress and England to win.
    The ref appointments for England games and Germany games and for the South America teams, what happened to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay was disgraceful and shocking.
    The treatment of Portugal was a disgrace (they might well have been the rightful winners as good as the South Americans were), scoucers still haven't forgiven their national association for the last minute switch to give England a home game and Portugal an away game in the semi.
    And then the Ghost goal and the linesman apparently when asked about it on his deathbed said 'Stalingrad'.
    It's no wonder why the home of football has never had another WC.
    You missed out the final goal shouldn't have stood.

The famous commentary
    "Some people are on the pitch - they think it's all over - it is now!"

Should have been
    "Some people are on the pitch - ref suspends play whilst they are cleared..."

At the age of 14 I sat watching the ‘66 final in my parents front room. My dad never seemed to be interested in footie and mum was probably in the kitchen preparing food so I had the television to myself. Having started watching the City in 64/65 my hunger for all things football were relentless. So yes I was supporting England and every time Germans came near the English penalty area I had a bit of a sweat on. It happened again today! Needless to say I saw the light and now support every team playing against England be it football or tiddlywinks. Oh and would have probably knocked in a couple of goals in the back garden at half time. Scored many a winner for City there.

That said fair do's to England on their victory.........but I‘m still not sure about the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff in Tala View Post
    At the age of 14 I sat watching the ‘66 final in my parents front room. My dad never seemed to be interested in footie and mum was probably in the kitchen preparing food so I had the television to myself. Having started watching the City in 64/65 my hunger for all things football were relentless. So yes I was supporting England and every time Germans came near the English penalty area I had a bit of a sweat on. It happened again today! Needless to say I saw the light and now support every team playing against England be it football or tiddlywinks. Oh and would have probably knocked in a couple of goals in the back garden at half time. Scored many a winner for City there.

That said fair do's to England on their victory.........but I‘m still not sure about the 3rd.
    Germany's second equaliser was hand ball too.