+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My memories of last games of the season at home against Hull

My memories of last games of the season at home against Hull

I could be completely wrong, and suppose I could look it up but I'm sure I remember us twice before finishing the season at home against Hull.

It must have been about 1973, and as a youngster I remember we played in all blue which i'd never seen before (it was always white shorts and socks or hoops), and Hull played in all white that night. I think we lost 2-0 that night.

And many years later ( i can remember early 70s easy but not a clue in the 2000s), we lost at home to them 1-0 with everyone cheering when it meant that Leeds were relegated to league 1.

So if my memory is right it's about time we didn't lose to them at home on the last day of the season, and play offs here we come.

Re: My memories of last games of the season at home against Hull

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I could be completely wrong, and suppose I could look it up but I'm sure I remember us twice before finishing the season at home against Hull.

It must have been about 1973, and as a youngster I remember we played in all blue which i'd never seen before (it was always white shorts and socks or hoops), and Hull played in all white that night. I think we lost 2-0 that night.

And many years later ( i can remember early 70s easy but not a clue in the 2000s), we lost at home to them 1-0 with everyone cheering when it meant that Leeds were relegated to league 1.

So if my memory is right it's about time we didn't lose to them at home on the last day of the season, and play offs here we come.
    The Hull game in the seventies was in 72/73 and, from memory, was played a couple of days after we'd drawn with Sunderland to ensure that we'd stay up. That match was played on the Monday night after Sunderland had beaten Leeds in the Cup Final on the Saturday, so I'd guess they needed a game at Ninian Park so soon after all of those celebrations like they needed a hole in the head! I 'm probably wrong about the exact numbers, but there were something like 5,000 at the Hull game, down around twenty thousand from how many had been there forty eight hours earlier.

The other game was in 06/07 with Dean Windass scoring the only goal - it was the day Aaron Ramsey came on as a sub at sixteen years and and a hundred days or so old to set a club record as youngest ever first team player.

Didn’t we play them in the Malky promotion year?

Maynard came on and scored a penalty and the point took Hull up as well?

Also famous for Velokonja starting and doing nothing

EDIT- just checked and it was at the KC stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Didn’t we play them in the Malky promotion year?

Maynard came on and scored a penalty and the point took Hull up as well?

Also famous for Velokonja starting and doing nothing

EDIT- just checked and it was at the KC stadium
    If I remember rightly, Hull just needed a win for automatic promotion. 2-1 up, they missed a penalty in injury time to settle it, we broke down the field, won a penalty and equalised.

Watford needed a better result than Hull and had the chance to finish second, I think their game started late or something. That was level before Ross McCormack bagged a winner for Leeds on the break after Troy Deeney had been sent off. One of the more bizarre final days in an automatic promotion race!

I rememebr Rambo's debut, he looked so young coming on with his crewcut and slight frame.

Anyone remember that McPhail goal against Hull? Bar and in, think it was in the first minute too as a few of my mates missed it getting into the grandstand that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    I rememebr Rambo's debut, he looked so young coming on with his crewcut and slight frame.

Anyone remember that McPhail goal against Hull? Bar and in, think it was in the first minute too as a few of my mates missed it getting into the grandstand that night.
    Sort of bicycle kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sort of bicycle kick?
    It was a tremendous goal which proved to be the only one of the game in what will forever be known as the Hull stubs match - March 2008;-

http://www.urban75.org/cardiff/cardiff-hull-mar08.html