+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A new book for a new season – 1970/71 remembered.

A new book for a new season – 1970/71 remembered.

Re: A new book for a new season – 1970/71 remembered.

Great news Paul. I have very happy memories of that season, as a 15 year old with a junior season ticket in the Canton Stand. I think if we had gone up we would have been in the 1st Division for years, so I feel it was a defining season for City's future. A lot happened, Frank Parsons, Peter King, selling Toshack, beating Real Madrid, Warboys 4 before half time, the Youth Cup final , losing at home to already relegated Watford , and being stuffed by Sheffield United to finish us off. It all went downhill in the following seasons.

I saw every home game too, and a few aways.

Good luck with the book, and I'll certainly help with the fund raising as soon as I get back to work.

City 0 Watford 1, I was sat on top of the first aid station between the bob bank and canton stand.
    The first time I cried watching the City.
    They've brought me to tears regularly ever since.

Looking forward to the book Bob. My first game was Birmingham at home on September 5th 1970, so was really looking forward to celebrating my 50th in a few weeks time . Unfortunately that's a non starter now. Where have those 50 years gone since Mexico 70 when this 6 year old fell in love with the game and even more importantly with the mighty bluebirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    City 0 Watford 1, I was sat on top of the first aid station between the bob bank and canton stand.
    That game was so frustrating. We were going up before selling Toshack and suddenly looked as if we could have played all evening without scoring in that match.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be posting something further on the blog within a fortnight when I've decided on how to proceed with the publishing.

all the best for the new book

Good luck with the book, it sounds really good hope it goes well

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post

This was my first home game,sat in the Canton. My first game was earlier in that season. Charlton away. They were bottom of the league and pretty much stayed there the whole season. And of course we lost that one too (and it kicked off big time on that huge terrace). And that was how it was going to be supporting Cardiff City for the following 20 years.
    I remember saving Bazooka Joe bubble gum wrappers at the time because you could swap twenty of them for a Pennant of any First division team. I gave up and cashed in for a Liverpool one after we got relegated a couple of years later.

Good luck with the book. That was a season that deserves one.

Good luck , great period in our history

Good luck Bob with the book Bob, I remember the season well, as an 11 year old